drawing advice eeded (cross-posted)

  • jill campbell
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2012
      i am wanting to draw a collection of something (like buttons, beans, or seeds) that are in a pile. my drawing book is laying right next to me on the couch -- just waiting for me to start. it's a gift, so i don't want to have a "goof up" page or two torn out before i get it all figured out!

      imagine looking straight down on to the stack or at like a 45 degree angle at the pile of items. would i need to start drawing from the items on the top layer and working my way "out" and "down" through the layers from there? OR, would i start at the outer/lower levels and work my way up and toward the center?

      top and down/out seems right to me, but for some reason, i am not finding it in literature on drawing.

      i know this seems basic drawing to many/most of you, but i truly can't find a specific instruction and i have never had art classes or lessons.

      please feel free to be specific in answer back on this. thank you in advance!
      jill

      http://wentupthehill.blogspot.com -- for personal pictures and stories
    • Beverly Sager
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2012
        Hi Jill,

        I'm usually a lurker, but would like to offer some suggestions:

        First, do a practice drawing on a loose sheet of paper, no detail, just rough sketch for placement, etc. That will probably tell you whether you need to begin with the top of the pile or elsewhere. Just draw.

        Second, forget "right" and "wrong" from the drawing instruction books. Draw in the way that seems natural to you. As you draw more, you'll find your own rights & wrongs. Nothing against proper drawing lessons, etc., but they're not required. Just draw.

        Third, so what if your drawing isn't perfect? Are you expecting them to be? Is this book for exhibition? Or is it for your own personal journey in drawing? I think it would be gratifying to look back one day at your first drawings and see how far you've evolved. Just draw!

        Beverly

        --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, jill campbell <jacks_friend_jill@...> wrote:

        > i am wanting to draw a collection of something (like buttons, beans, or seeds) that are in a pile. my drawing book is laying right next to me on the couch -- just waiting for me to start. it's a gift, so i don't want to have a "goof up" page or two torn out before i get it all figured out!
        >
        > imagine looking straight down on to the stack or at like a 45 degree angle at the pile of items. would i need to start drawing from the items on the top layer and working my way "out" and "down" through the layers from there? OR, would i start at the outer/lower levels and work my way up and toward the center?
        >
        > top and down/out seems right to me, but for some reason, i am not finding it in literature on drawing.
        >
        > i know this seems basic drawing to many/most of you, but i truly can't find a specific instruction and i have never had art classes or lessons.
        >
        > please feel free to be specific in answer back on this. thank you in advance!
        > jill
        >
        > http://mapleleafartistry.blogspot.com -- for artwork
        >
        > http://wentupthehill.blogspot.com -- for personal pictures and stories

      • Lindart
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2012
          I would do top to down if it were me. If you have never done this before, you can't expect perfection right away! You may have to try a few times to get something you like. You can start by gently outlining the general shape of the pile, the outside edges, then gently draw in some other edges that may be important "landmarks". Do all your initial drawing gently and remember they are guidlines, not the final product so you can change them if you need to. Draw the button on the top, and then go from there. The lines you like, draw harder so you know these lines (might) stay. Don't be afraid to change things if they don't look right. It might not all look right, then you can start over. Don't be afraid to do that either. We LEARN from our MISTAKES!!!!

          Have fun!

          Linda C
          ****
          AKA Lindart