some spreads and what constitutes an art journal

  • Carin Winkelman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2011
      Put some spreads from my current journal on my blog. It's an altered
      atlas that I covered with a piece of a US postal bag!

      You can see the spreads here:
      http://caatjesartsystuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/some-journal-spreads.html

      And the book itself here:
      http://caatjesartsystuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/atlas-goes-postal.html

      I'm reluctant to call my everyday journal an art journal, because it's
      mostly writing with some collaged images either my own photo's or (as in
      the above mentioned spreads) magazine images.
      I see my everyday journals more as decorated journals than art, but I
      wonder where the line is?

      Caatje
      http://caatjesartsystuff.blogspot.com
    • Thinkie Batenburg-Mets
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2011
        Hi Caatje,

        I like the look of your pages and to me this definitely falls under art
        journaling.
        I think you might enjoy the blog of my friend Marit
        http://www.maritspaperworld.com/blog/ (I sent her a link to your blog as
        well), she makes a weekly art journal spread.

        Thinkie

        > Put some spreads from my current journal on my blog. It's an altered
        > atlas that I covered with a piece of a US postal bag!
        >
        > You can see the spreads here:
        > http://caatjesartsystuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/some-journal-spreads.html
        >
        > And the book itself here:
        > http://caatjesartsystuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/atlas-goes-postal.html
        >
        > I'm reluctant to call my everyday journal an art journal, because it's
        > mostly writing with some collaged images either my own photo's or (as in
        > the above mentioned spreads) magazine images.
        > I see my everyday journals more as decorated journals than art, but I
        > wonder where the line is?
        >
        > Caatje
        > http://caatjesartsystuff.blogspot.com
      • Carin Winkelman

          > Put some spreads from my current journal on my blog. It's an altered
          > atlas that I covered with a piece of a US postal bag!
          >
          > You can see the spreads here:
          > http://caatjesartsystuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/some-journal-spreads.html
          >
          > And the book itself here:
          > http://caatjesartsystuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/atlas-goes-postal.html
          >
          > I'm reluctant to call my everyday journal an art journal, because it's
          > mostly writing with some collaged images either my own photo's or (as in
          > the above mentioned spreads) magazine images.
          > I see my everyday journals more as decorated journals than art, but I
          > wonder where the line is?
          >
          > Caatje
          > http://caatjesartsystuff.blogspot.com

        • R
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 20, 2012
            I say yes, what you create qualifies as an art journal.

            "An art diary, art journal or visual journal is a daily journal kept by artists, often containing both words and sketches, and occasionally including Mixed media elements such as collages. Such books will frequently contain rough workings, in cartoon form, of ideas later to appear in finished works, as well as acting as a normal diary, by allowing the artist to record their day-to-day activities and emotions."

            source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_diary
          • M W
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2012
              I think this is certainly and art journal...your spreads are great and I love the cover