purging

  • jill campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2011
      well, the weather is looking better and brighter, the days are nicer, and i'm in the mood to get rid of some stuff that i own! i started working on this 5 years ago, but i just wasn't ready to get rid of some things. i was still emotionally tied to these things, either through love or guilt! i've got NEW dooney and bourke purses in my closet w/ the tags still on them -- but not for long! i'm listing them on ebay! i'm tired of the idea that i might want this later. i love the look of the purses, but they are just not practical or usable to me in my lifestyle. if that changes later, i'll buy what i need/want then!

      it's funny, how we become attached to things. i purchased a certain purse 14 years ago and paid an outrageous amount for it then -- even on 1/2 price sale. i bought 4 more dooneys to have on hand in case i ever needed them, too! one of them i used a couple times in the spring time b/c it was white and another one i've used the last 2 year b/c my original one had a broken strap.

      even w/ a broken strap, i just couldn't bear to part w/ my favorite purse. after having my son's boots fixed at the book shop recently, i realized that if the boot repair guy could make my son's boots look like new -- he could probably fix my broken purse! the next time i went by there, i took my purse in for him to take a look at. he grumbled and griped and groused around, but he finally said he could fix the broken strap for under $10.

      i asked him if he could make it look like new, and he laughed and said, "you don't want leather to look like new -- you want it to look used and broke in but taken good care of. i can polish it up for you, but that's gonna cost you another $10 or so."

      w/ happy thoughts and excitement to get my old purse back, i sacheted out the door and on my way. two weeks later when i drove by there, i stopped to check on my purse. i was shocked when i saw it -- it looked almost as good as it did when i bought it. that was probably the best $20 i've spent in quite a long time. i'm sure hubby is thrilled, too, b/c he's sick of hearing me make comments about not liking the other purse AND it drives him nuts that i have things in the closet that still have tags on them. he doesn't care that i have them or that i buy them, but that they are still in the closet w/ the tags on them!!!

      so, anyone who is used to stacking things up until later to deal w/ or saving for some time in the future when you might want them -- take advantage of any time that you can lessen some of the load of things that you are carrying. it does make a person feel much more free.

      in case you're wondering what to do w/ these items -- try ebay for the ones that are worth money and/or easy to ship OR try a freecycle group. freecycle is a group on yahoo, just like this group, except the focus of that group is to keep usable things out of the landfill. there are so many things that i could put in a rummage sale or auction and sell, but it irritates me if i'm asking $5 for something and someone asks me if i'll take a $1 for it! i would rather give it to someone who needs or wants it rather than to be irritated b/c someone bought it for $1.

      this is a great way to get rid of those things you no longer want/need. plus, the person who wants it will come and pick it up from your house or designated meeting spot! it's perfect for me!!! the group for joplin, missouri, has about 4000 members, so there is quite a lot of giving and receiving going on all the time. we've never had trouble giving something away or asking for a specific something! it's been a great experience over all.

      some things we've given away include a recliner, a lift chair, a dishwasher, a mower, carpet remnants, and garden produce. some things that we've gotten include a wooden yard play set, a water garden pond/fountain, a queen sized mattress/box springs for my son, and a washer/dryer set for my son.

      it's amazing the things that people give away. there have been such crazy things as bass boats, big screen televisions, hunting gear, cameras, and more.

      it's NOT a place to make money, but a place that can match up usable items w/ people who need them. check it out and have fun cleaning out your closets!

      ps - if you're shopping for a dooney and bourke purse, let me know! ;D

      jill

      http://wentupthehill.blogspot.com -- for personal pictures and stories
    • Jan Flood
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2011
        A woman after my own heart!  I keep working at it but no matter how much I get rid of, there is always more.  Our neighborhood is having a community garage sale the end of May and I'm going to sell all I can there, then take what's left to the inner city mission.  My good things, and those with the price tags still on them, LOL, are going to go to one of the groups that help women get jobs if I can find one.  I had such beautiful clothes, shoes and purses - but that isn't my life anymore.  I still don't wear levis much but it's rare that I put on a dress and heels.  I actually took two dresses into the sewing room and took them apart at the seams to use for fabric, after removing the price tag :)  I figured I'd get more enjoyment out of that than selling it for a few dollars. I also have several bags of fabric I removed from the sewing room but not sure what to do with it.  You can't sell fabric and I don't know of anyplace that needs it.  I don't even miss the things I've given away, partly because I don't remember what it was!  Once it was gone I never thought of it again, after agonizing over it for years.

        I don't remember the saying but it's something about freeing yourself up when you free your life of all your "stuff".

        >>On Apr 6, 2011, at 4:51 PM, jill campbell wrote:

        well, the weather is looking better and brighter, the days are nicer, and i'm in the mood to get rid of some stuff that i own! i started working on this 5 years ago, but i just wasn't ready to get rid of some things. i was still emotionally tied to these things, either through love or guilt! i've got NEW dooney and bourke purses in my closet w/ the tags still on them -- but not for long! i'm listing them on ebay! i'm tired of the idea that i might want this later. i love the look of the purses, but they are just not practical or usable to me in my lifestyle. if that changes later, i'll buy what i need/want then!

        .

      • gone
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2011
          I am in that mood too, until I start to actually go through my stuff. That's when I start to say, "I might be able to use this for....I might need this one day....I better hang on to this for a little while longer (just in case)...." Then all my decluttering intentions crumble like an old cookie!

          --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, jill campbell <jacks_friend_jill@...> wrote:

          > well, the weather is looking better and brighter, the days are nicer, and i'm in the mood to get rid of some stuff that i own!
        • PJ Duane
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2011
            If you need a little boost in the 'get rid of it' idea to make you let things go, Check out this website and watch the videos. Unreal and scary.
            Penny

            ~"Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today."~

            I am in that mood too, until I start to actually go through my stuff.  That's when I start to say, "I might be able to use this for....I might need this one day....I better hang on to this for a little while longer (just in case)...."  Then all my decluttering intentions crumble like an old cookie!

            --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, jill campbell <jacks_friend_jill@...> wrote:

            > well, the weather is looking better and brighter, the days are nicer, and i'm in the mood to get rid of some stuff that i own!

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)