Re: [CompositionArtJournals] Depressive funk

  • artrato3
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2010

      Sometimes its like turning on a tap and out it flows but other days I dig for words but there aren't any to be had.
      Lee

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2010
        Christy,

        I get into creative funks quite often. I'm reading The Van Gogh Blues
        in an attempt to learn to live with it. The premise of the book is
        that creative people get depressed and that the depression is
        necessary for the process of creativity. I've also been going to
        therapy. A lot.

        When I don't have the energy to make anything, I'll make backgrounds
        or just splash paint around. If I don't feel like journaling, I'll
        just put down a few words to describe where I am. I'll go weeks
        without journaling. Or I'll paste in daily ephemera (grocery receipts,
        movie stubs, a picture from a magazine) and write a sentence about the
        day.

        Mostly I'm learning to listen to my body. If my body says to sleep, I
        try to make that happen. If it says to walk, I'll do that. If it says
        to eat something, I'll do that. It's never easy, but being true to
        myself is the first step, for me, for dealing with my moods.

        Hope that helps,
        tracey

        tracey kazimir-cree
        fort collins, co
        tracey@...

        Visit my blog! http://www.sunshinefactory.net/blog

        See my Flickr photos - it's where I dump random art, swaps and
        everyday things that catch my eye.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/traypup/

        On Aug 24, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Christy Wyrtzen wrote:

        > Does anyone here get into a depressive funk that blocks your creatve
        > mojo? I am a prolific doodler but that is the extent of my energy. I
        > have been in a funk after losing a job in January. I picked up a
        > part time retail position but I am not out of it. I can barely get
        > out of bed. How do you get your creative juices flowing with all this?
        >
        > Also- for all you journalers, what do you journal about every day?
        >
        > Thanks for listening.
        > Christy
      • julie ryan
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2010
          Christy,

          I relate to your comment about not wanting to move; not wanting to get out of bed.

          My creative juice flow frequently stops flowing due to my chronic pain conditions.  I go into a 'funk'.  When this happens I look through my art journal magazines for encouragement and inspiration.  The artwork I see makes me smile with delight and cry with deep emotion.

          In the Art Journal magazine (winter 2010) by Somerset Studio, I found inspiration for moving forward.  Every page in the magazine spoke to me the first time I read it.  And, it still speaks to me.  The voice and artwork of Samantha Kira Harding especially spoke to me.  She has FMS and I have FMS.  I related to her comments about this condition.  Other artists I connected with were Carrie Todd and Donna Dugone-Anami.

          This may sound over-simplistic but I also get the creative juices flowing by (1) 'counting' my blessings, (2) listening to music, and (3) singing.
          I like to sit in the studio and look at the blank journal pages waiting to be my voice.  That can move creativity into a forward position rather than remaining in neutral.

          In answer to your question....I don't journal every day.  That is too much for me with my FMS and chonric fatigue. For me, journaling is not about writing every single day. Once a week to three times a week works well for me.

          Wishing you the best as you pursue your journaling journey.

          Julie

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2010
            Tracey,

            I love your comment about listening to your body!  I am in pain groups and work with a pain therapist one one one.  Listening to one's body is all important.

            Also appreciated your comment referencing creative people get depressed.

            I sometimes sit in bed and make a list of single words or phrases about how I am feeling.  Later, I put those words and phrases in my journal.

            Julie

            I get into creative funks quite often. I'm reading The Van Gogh Blues
            in an attempt to learn to live with it. The premise of the book is
            that creative people get depressed and that the depression is
            necessary for the process of creativity. I've also been going to
            therapy. A lot.

            When I don't have the energy to make anything, I'll make backgrounds
            or just splash paint around. If I don't feel like journaling, I'll
            just put down a few words to describe where I am. I'll go weeks
            without journaling. Or I'll paste in daily ephemera (grocery receipts,
            movie stubs, a picture from a magazine) and write a sentence about the
            day.

            Mostly I'm learning to listen to my body. If my body says to sleep, I
            try to make that happen. If it says to walk, I'll do that. If it says
            to eat something, I'll do that. It's never easy, but being true to
            myself is the first step, for me, for dealing with my moods.

            Hope that helps,
            tracey

            tracey kazimir-cree
            fort collins, co
            tracey@...

            Visit my blog! http://www.sunshinefactory.net/blog

            See my Flickr photos - it's where I dump random art, swaps and
            everyday things that catch my eye.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/traypup/

            On Aug 24, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Christy Wyrtzen wrote:

            > Does anyone here get into a depressive funk that blocks your creatve
            > mojo? I am a prolific doodler but that is the extent of my energy. I
            > have been in a funk after losing a job in January. I picked up a
            > part time retail position but I am not out of it. I can barely get
            > out of bed. How do you get your creative juices flowing with all this?
            >
            > Also- for all you journalers, what do you journal about every day?
            >
            > Thanks for listening.
            > Christy

          • PJ Duane
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2010

              Christy

              Depression can suck, big time. Especially in the creativity field. Having jousted with depression for the past couple of years I can understand how you are feeling.

              I don't think there is an instant  'fix' to the problem. I believe it is something you have to slowly work on. Unless maybe drugs, :-)

              What I do is a little of all that has been said. I do haul down my collection of books and mags until I find a couple that sort of and I hate to say this but 'speak to me' or should I say' speak to my muse' (creativity at the time). It doesn't mean that I am instantly scrambling through my papers and paints to get to work, just that I feel relieved I think.

              I will also flip through my paper and ephemera stash, touching, feeling the papers, enjoying the colours.

              Sometimes I get galvanized if I get a return swap package in the mail and there are some extra papers or ephemera enclosed. Something from someone else's stash clicks on the light.

              Or I log on to youtube and watch some of the many, many ideas out there.

              Worse comes to worse I institute an ephemera envelope trade. 10 items for 10 items that will fit into a regular business envelope.

              Last resort is to ask a friend who is into paper arts to come over and do the artsy thing together. That sort of embarrasses me into activation.

              But these are all slow, hit and miss, examples. I make one ATC this day, sort stuff out the next day, splash a background onto page another day, sign up for a 4x5 page swap the day after (which sort of gets your butt moving since you have to make the pages or feel like an idiot)
              Getting over depression is a work in progress.

              Penny D

              ~"Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today."~

                  CompositionArtJournals-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  CompositionArtJournals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/