Depressive funk

  • Christy Wyrtzen
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2010
      Does anyone here get into a depressive funk that blocks your creatve mojo? I am a prolific doodler but that is the extent of my energy. I have been in a funk after losing a job in January. I picked up a part time retail position but I am not out of it. I can barely get out of bed. How do you get your creative juices flowing with all this?

      Also- for all you journalers, what do you journal about every day?

      Thanks for listening.
      Christy
    • artrato3
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2010

        Sometimes its like turning on a tap and out it flows but other days I dig for words but there aren't any to be had.
        Lee

        Does anyone here get into a depressive funk that blocks your creatve mojo? I am a prolific doodler but that is the extent of my energy. I have been in a funk after losing a job in January. I picked up a part time retail position but I am not out of it. I can barely get out of bed. How do you get your creative juices flowing with all this?

        Also- for all you journalers, what do you journal about every day?

        Thanks for listening.
        Christy

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

      • Tracey Kazimir-Cree
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2010
          Christy,

          I get into creative funks quite often. I'm reading The Van Gogh Blues
          in an attempt to learn to live with it. The premise of the book is
          that creative people get depressed and that the depression is
          necessary for the process of creativity. I've also been going to
          therapy. A lot.

          When I don't have the energy to make anything, I'll make backgrounds
          or just splash paint around. If I don't feel like journaling, I'll
          just put down a few words to describe where I am. I'll go weeks
          without journaling. Or I'll paste in daily ephemera (grocery receipts,
          movie stubs, a picture from a magazine) and write a sentence about the
          day.

          Mostly I'm learning to listen to my body. If my body says to sleep, I
          try to make that happen. If it says to walk, I'll do that. If it says
          to eat something, I'll do that. It's never easy, but being true to
          myself is the first step, for me, for dealing with my moods.

          Hope that helps,
          tracey

          tracey kazimir-cree
          fort collins, co
          tracey@...

          Visit my blog! http://www.sunshinefactory.net/blog

          See my Flickr photos - it's where I dump random art, swaps and
          everyday things that catch my eye.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/traypup/

          On Aug 24, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Christy Wyrtzen wrote:

          > Does anyone here get into a depressive funk that blocks your creatve
          > mojo? I am a prolific doodler but that is the extent of my energy. I
          > have been in a funk after losing a job in January. I picked up a
          > part time retail position but I am not out of it. I can barely get
          > out of bed. How do you get your creative juices flowing with all this?
          >
          > Also- for all you journalers, what do you journal about every day?
          >
          > Thanks for listening.
          > Christy
        • julie ryan
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2010
            Christy,

            I relate to your comment about not wanting to move; not wanting to get out of bed.

            My creative juice flow frequently stops flowing due to my chronic pain conditions.  I go into a 'funk'.  When this happens I look through my art journal magazines for encouragement and inspiration.  The artwork I see makes me smile with delight and cry with deep emotion.

            In the Art Journal magazine (winter 2010) by Somerset Studio, I found inspiration for moving forward.  Every page in the magazine spoke to me the first time I read it.  And, it still speaks to me.  The voice and artwork of Samantha Kira Harding especially spoke to me.  She has FMS and I have FMS.  I related to her comments about this condition.  Other artists I connected with were Carrie Todd and Donna Dugone-Anami.

            This may sound over-simplistic but I also get the creative juices flowing by (1) 'counting' my blessings, (2) listening to music, and (3) singing.
            I like to sit in the studio and look at the blank journal pages waiting to be my voice.  That can move creativity into a forward position rather than remaining in neutral.

            In answer to your question....I don't journal every day.  That is too much for me with my FMS and chonric fatigue. For me, journaling is not about writing every single day. Once a week to three times a week works well for me.

            Wishing you the best as you pursue your journaling journey.

            Julie

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 24, 2010
              Tracey,

              I love your comment about listening to your body!  I am in pain groups and work with a pain therapist one one one.  Listening to one's body is all important.

              Also appreciated your comment referencing creative people get depressed.

              I sometimes sit in bed and make a list of single words or phrases about how I am feeling.  Later, I put those words and phrases in my journal.

              Julie

              I get into creative funks quite often. I'm reading The Van Gogh Blues
              in an attempt to learn to live with it. The premise of the book is
              that creative people get depressed and that the depression is
              necessary for the process of creativity. I've also been going to
              therapy. A lot.

              When I don't have the energy to make anything, I'll make backgrounds
              or just splash paint around. If I don't feel like journaling, I'll
              just put down a few words to describe where I am. I'll go weeks
              without journaling. Or I'll paste in daily ephemera (grocery receipts,
              movie stubs, a picture from a magazine) and write a sentence about the
              day.

              Mostly I'm learning to listen to my body. If my body says to sleep, I
              try to make that happen. If it says to walk, I'll do that. If it says
              to eat something, I'll do that. It's never easy, but being true to
              myself is the first step, for me, for dealing with my moods.

              Hope that helps,
              tracey

              tracey kazimir-cree
              fort collins, co
              tracey@...

              Visit my blog! http://www.sunshinefactory.net/blog

              See my Flickr photos - it's where I dump random art, swaps and
              everyday things that catch my eye.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/traypup/

              On Aug 24, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Christy Wyrtzen wrote:

              > Does anyone here get into a depressive funk that blocks your creatve
              > mojo? I am a prolific doodler but that is the extent of my energy. I
              > have been in a funk after losing a job in January. I picked up a
              > part time retail position but I am not out of it. I can barely get
              > out of bed. How do you get your creative juices flowing with all this?
              >
              > Also- for all you journalers, what do you journal about every day?
              >
              > Thanks for listening.
              > Christy

            • PJ Duane
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 25, 2010

                Christy

                Depression can suck, big time. Especially in the creativity field. Having jousted with depression for the past couple of years I can understand how you are feeling.

                I don't think there is an instant  'fix' to the problem. I believe it is something you have to slowly work on. Unless maybe drugs, :-)

                What I do is a little of all that has been said. I do haul down my collection of books and mags until I find a couple that sort of and I hate to say this but 'speak to me' or should I say' speak to my muse' (creativity at the time). It doesn't mean that I am instantly scrambling through my papers and paints to get to work, just that I feel relieved I think.

                I will also flip through my paper and ephemera stash, touching, feeling the papers, enjoying the colours.

                Sometimes I get galvanized if I get a return swap package in the mail and there are some extra papers or ephemera enclosed. Something from someone else's stash clicks on the light.

                Or I log on to youtube and watch some of the many, many ideas out there.

                Worse comes to worse I institute an ephemera envelope trade. 10 items for 10 items that will fit into a regular business envelope.

                Last resort is to ask a friend who is into paper arts to come over and do the artsy thing together. That sort of embarrasses me into activation.

                But these are all slow, hit and miss, examples. I make one ATC this day, sort stuff out the next day, splash a background onto page another day, sign up for a 4x5 page swap the day after (which sort of gets your butt moving since you have to make the pages or feel like an idiot)
                Getting over depression is a work in progress.

                Penny D

                ~"Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today."~

                    CompositionArtJournals-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    CompositionArtJournals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/