Status so far.... Removing labels??

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2009
      I soaked off a labelthis am with Warm water. After I peeled it from the label,(carefully using a thin pairing knife) and it was still a bit of a mess, I floated it in the water to straighten it out. then slipped a small cutting board under it to 'catch' it flat.It is now drying. I was able to uncurl or pull apart so to speak in the water without strain. It just floated. I was suprised how well that worked in the water.
      I think glossy type paper would work easier. Gonna try after I gather some bottles at a birthday party I am going to today!
      I'll keep ya posted.

      Susan

      --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Shelly" <shelly@...> wrote:

      > I've soaked matte labels. They're more delicate than shiny labels, but if
      > you handle them carefully, then let them dry completely, it works just fine.
      >
      > I've never tried steaming a label off. A heat gun might work, too.
      > Depending on the label, I might also be tempted to try a packing tape
      > transfer.
      >
      > --
      > Shelly
      > http://cat-sidh.net

    • Shelly

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2009
          Hi- it is what I happened to have that fit the pan, waterproof...it dried well. gonna do the frt. later.
          Susan

          --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Shelly" <shelly@...> wrote:

          > Good idea with the cutting board! I'll have to keep that in mind.

        • mwquilt
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2009
            The ones that have been put on with self stick glue, often won't come off with soaking. I try soaking first..then if that doesn't work, I put the bottle into the oven and bring it up to a warm temperature( I think about 75-100 Centigrade) and then holding the bottle carefully with a cloth and/or cotton gloves, am usually able to prise up a corner of the label with a knife, after which the rest usually peels up easily. I often try to get two adjacent corners up, then I can start peeling the whole of one side, across the label to the otherside.

            The label is still sticky when it comes off! If I do not have ready the item I am going to finally stick it to, then I have ready a piece of thin paper to stick it onto. Then I just cut around the label and glue it into its permanent position with an appopriate glue when I am ready.

            Get something ready to stick it to before you peel the label off...when it comes off warm, it wants to curl up and stick to itself, so the quicker you get it under control, the better it will be :-)