New Journal Pages

  • Eliece Edge
    Message 1 of 28 , May 21, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 3 KB
    It's been ages since I've added to my blogs, but I finally took the time to
    update them. Hope you'll take a look. For the everyday journal, it may make
    more sense if you scroll down to the July 12 post and read from there back
    to the top.

    Eliece

    Everyday Journal - http://inkyhands.blogspot.com/

    Reading Journal (mostly) - http://by-my-hand.blogspot.com/
  • Jeanine
    Message 2 of 28 , May 22, 2009
      Eliece,

      I have come out of lurkdom to say Thank you for sharing both of your journals. They are very inspiring. While choosing between them for the best one would be extremely difficult. I think today your Reading Journal inspired me. I have started and stopped a couple reading journals. Yours got my creative juices going again.

      Jeanine
    • Kathinka Batenburg-Mets
      Message 3 of 28 , May 23, 2009
        your work looks great!

        Thinkie
      • Anita
        Message 4 of 28 , May 23, 2009
          Hi Eliece. I've just been a lurker, but want to write to say how much I've enjoyed both of your blogs. And your calligraphy. Is that called "copperplate" when you make the letters with the curlicues? I have learned to do italic, but have always wanted to learn copperplate. Thanks for the helpfulness in describing how you made each page. I am wondering, tho, your pages never look all wrinkled, yet you use paints. How do you prevent the wrinkling? Anita
          --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Eliece Edge" <eliece@...> wrote:

          > It's been ages since I've added to my blogs, but I finally took the time to
          > update them. Hope you'll take a look. For the everyday journal, it may make
          > more sense if you scroll down to the July 12 post and read from there back
          > to the top.
          >

          > Eliece
          >
          > Everyday Journal - http://inkyhands.blogspot.com/
          >
          > Reading Journal (mostly) - http://by-my-hand.blogspot.com/

        • Terry
          Message 5 of 28 , May 24, 2009
            Hi Eliece,
            I have come out of lurkdom as well to commit on your beautiful pages. I, too, love their simplicity. I feel I'm always trying to use up space on my pages which is frustrating to me. More often than not I end up procrastinating on working in my journal. Viewing your pages has really helped me to see "Less is better" and looks beautiful. Thank you.

            Terry

          • eliece@comcast.net
            Message 6 of 28 , May 25, 2009

              Hi Anita,

              If you'll let me know which journal and page you're asking about, I'll tell you the name of the calligraphic style that I used. I have used Copperplate on some pages, but I've also done some funkier styles with curlicues that I more or less made up. I'm away from home right now, and probably will be for another week or so. My sister has some serious health issues and I've come to her house to help out. I don't have my older journals with me, but I can look online at the blogs to see which one you're talking about.

              I sell a set of art journaling lessons that I send by PDF files, and in those, I describe how I paint my pages. I go into much more detail there, with lots of pictures as examples, but basically I use craft acrylics straight out of the bottle, spread with a 1" wide flat brush, leave open to dry, and then close under a heavy weight. If you're interested in learning more about what's included in the lessons, look here: http://creatingyourownstory.blogspot.com/

              Hugs,

              Eliece

              Hi Eliece. I've just been a lurker, but want to write to say how much I've enjoyed both of your blogs. And your calligraphy. Is that called "copperplate" when you make the letters with the curlicues? I have learned to do italic, but have always wanted to learn copperplate. Thanks for the helpfulness in describing how you made each page. I am wondering, tho, your pages never look all wrinkled, yet you use paints. How do you prevent the wrinkling? Anita
              --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Eliece Edge" <eliece@...> wrote:

              > It's been ages since I've added to my blogs, but I finally took the time to
              > update them. Hope you'll take a look. For the everyday journal, it may make
              > more sense if you scroll down to the July 12 post and read from there back
              > to the top.
              >

              > Eliece
              >
              > Everyday Journal - http://inkyhands.blogspot.com/
              >
              > Reading Journal (mostly) - http://by-my-hand.blogspot.com/

            • Anita Van Hal
              Message 7 of 28 , May 25, 2009

                Anita, I highly recommend Eliece's art journaling lessons...they're wonderful, and inexpensive!

                the "other" Anita (Van Hal)

              • Anita
                Message 8 of 28 , May 25, 2009
                  Anita and Eliece. Thanks for the info on the art journaling class. I'm going to go over and look at the info now.
                  AnitaJJ (the other other Anita)
                  p.s. not too often I run into another Anita

                  ---"Anita Van Hal" <stampn@...> wrote:
                  > Anita, I highly recommend Eliece's art journaling lessons...they're wonderful, and inexpensive!
                  > the "other" Anita (Van Hal)
                • Aimeslee
                  Message 9 of 28 , May 25, 2009

                    I second the "other" Anita. :-)

                    xoxo,
                    Aimeslee

                    Message 10 of 28 , May 25, 2009

                      Eliece, I hope your sister gets to feeling better real soon. :-)

                      AnitaJJ, Eliece's lessons are something I can personally attest to. I can't tell you how they did it, but ever since I read them and tried out some of her ideas, I've had the most pleasurable burst of creative energy that I can remember. They were easy to do and if all you feel comfortable doing is to copy hers, it's perfectly okay. I did on some, then wanted to branch out to my own ideas. That was back in February, and even though I did have a close call with my muse trying to escape me this past week, I haven't stopped creating some kind of art for almost 4 months straight. In fact, I have a few more journal backgrounds I need to upload to the class site. Eliece hasn't kicked me out yet, which is another plus in my book. ;-)

                      xoxo,
                      Aimeslee

                      Message 11 of 28 , May 25, 2009

                        Dear Sweet Aimeslee,

                        I didn't have to pay you very much to say this, did I? LOL --Seriously, you have absolutely made my day! Please, please do upload somemore of your pages to the class site. It's been really quiet there lately. The pages you loaded originally were wonderful. Can't wait to see what you've done since that burst of creative energy. You are such a hoot. Since we live so near each other, we really need to make a date to meet and show our journals in person.

                        Thanks for your good wishes about my sister. I am very, very worried about her. She had breast cancer about 14 years ago, and since then has dealt with a multitude of issues. For example, the chemo seemed to seriously compromise her immune system, so she was constantly catching everything that came along and was so exhausted all the time that she found it difficult to work. (She's a nurse.)  Now she's started having seizures, and also is having to wear a heart monitor for the next month. Tomorrow I will be driving her to an MRI, and she will see the cardiologist on Thursday.

                        All prayers much appreciated,

                        Eliece

                        Message 12 of 28 , May 26, 2009

                          Oh, Eliece, I'm so sorry to hear she is still having problems. This is the dark side of chemo that people don't hear about. I know other people who have had permanent, chronic problems crop up after their chemos. When I hear about people who do not want chemo (like that boy and his mom who are running from the law right now), I remember just how toxic and harmful the potential is, and I am saddened that this is not taken into account by our legal system that makes criminals out of people who DO take it into account. Just sayin, there are two sides to every story. Anyway, I do hope your sister can regain some immune system function, somehow...  I'll continue to keep her and you in my prayers. :-)

                          As for us meeting sometime, I'd love it. Would love to meet you halfway, or at one of those lunch venues you've journalled about. ;-) Maybe we can do it sometime later in the year....

                          Message 13 of 28 , May 26, 2009
                            Thanks Eliece. Your art journal class looks wonderful. After I get caught up with some other things, I will think seriously about signing up. (And thanks Aimeslee and Anita for the helpful, positive recommendations for the class... it sounds excellent and I can really use the instruction and inspiration!!!)

                            ...and the font I was asking if it was copperplate was: "The Sonnet Lover". I LOVE the IDEA of your reading journal. Uour pages are beautiful. "Sonnet Lover" is such a pretty spread... and gorgeous lettering.
                            Anita
                          • Anita
                            Message 14 of 28 , May 26, 2009
                              Eliece. I'm so sorry your sister is having such a tough and scary time. My thoughts and prayers are with you and you sister.
                              Anita

                              <Eliece wrote>...my sister. I am very, very worried about her. She had breast cancer about 14 years ago, and since then has dealt with a multitude of issues...All prayers much appreciated...Eliece
                            • eliece@comcast.net
                              Message 15 of 28 , May 27, 2009

                                Hi Anita,

                                The calligraphic hand that I used for "The Sonnet Lover" is more Spencerian than Copperplate, but it's kind of my quirky version. If you want to see true Copperplate, look at "Butterfly Magnet" in the Nov. 05 archives. Click on the picture to enlarge it so you can get a close-up look. http://by-my-hand.blogspot.com/

                                Copperplate and Spencerian are fairly similar, but not the same. I remember when I first studied them, I couldn't really see the difference, but now I can. It just takes experience, like any other art form. If you really want to learn how to write Copperplate, some good manuals are "Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy" by Eleanor Winters and "Copperplate Calligraphy" by Dick Jackson.

                                Eliece