Re: [CompositionArtJournals] Re: New member

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 27 , May 10, 2009
      Thanks Anita. I'm pleased you looked at the blog. I don't get many
      visitors there yet.

      Karen
      http://flickr.com/photos/28510097@N04/
      http://kmyartplace.blogspot.com
    • jghio01
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 10, 2009
        Hi
        I just joined your group. I found it through Artists of the Roundtable. I am a mixed media fiber artist and this summer I have totally immersed myself in paper arts--collage and visual journals. I took an online class from Sarah Whitmore and in that class we decorated the covers of a composition book. I wanted not to write inside the book, but glue, paint etc; so that's what I did.
        Now that I have finished that journal, my big question is when you glue pages of the journal together to make them thick enough for working on-how many pages do you glue together and what kind of glue do you use? Do you cut out any pages to make your book less bulky? When I did my book I glued about 5 pages together and tried various glues-i started at the front-not the back -which is where I think I should have started, so the pages would be smoother.
        I loved the idea of using the composition book--inexpensive-great size-the only problem was the paper quality.
        Looking forward to looking at all the photos and reading what you all are doing. Thanks for the info
        Janet
        www.janetghio.com
      • Dawn Smith
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 10, 2009
          Janet, I don't glue pages together at all. I paint them with liquid acrylic paint. That thickens the pages, makes them tougher and keeps markers and stamp pad ink from showing through to the back. I use pieces of a sponge from the dollar store to put a thin layer of paint on the page. They lay nicely and don't wrinkle up if you paint both sides. Once you have the first coat on you can add more paint if you want, collage, watercolor, whatever.

        • larkrise26
          Message 4 of 27 , May 9, 2011
            Hello:O) I have just joined the group and am very pleased to have been accepted. Thank you.
            I am looking forward to being amongst other journal lovers and sharing new ideas. I have about 3 journals on the go. I love mixed media. . I am fascinated with hand drawings and paintings and am trying to improve my skills by including a drawing I have made myself onto my pages, where possible. I'm not great at that but I know I can only get better.Journals are so much fun.
            Looking forward to getting to know members of the group.
            Hugs
            Anna

          • cheryl higgins
            Message 5 of 27 , May 9, 2011
              Anna - I know how you feel.  I too would like to improve my
              drawing skills as well as journaling skills.  I have started another
              journal beside the one for the group and have included some of
              my drawings and am trying to do a better job of expressing
              myself.  Welcome
              cheryl

                Message 7 of 27 , May 11, 2011
                  Welcome Anna! Do you have a blog?

                  Linda C
                  ****
                  AKA Lindart
                   http://www.lindart.blogspot.com

                  Design Team Member for AlteredPages.com
                • larkrise26
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 11, 2011
                    No I don't blog and wouldn't have a clue how to start one.
                    TU for your welcome:O)

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 11, 2011
                      Welcome Anna. I don't blog, tweet or any of that stuff.
                      But this group has helped me to practice my
                      drawing and open up more on my feelings
                      cheryl

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 14, 2011
                        Glad to have ya here, Anna!
                        I wish I only had 3 journals going!  *chuckles*  At best, I usually have double that.  But that's because I hate waiting for paint to dry.  *laughs*
                        Light of heart,
                        ~*~Walks~*~