RE: [CompositionArtJournals] Question about getting pictures from magazines

  • Eliece Edge
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 22 10:10 AM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 6 KB
    I don't subscribe to any magazines except "Cloth, Paper, Scissors" (and I
    would never cut that one up!)

    My library has a box by the front door where patrons can donate books and
    magazines they no longer want. Anyone is welcome to help themselves to
    whatever is there. I never fail to check this box and take any magazines
    that have good pictures. Sometimes I also find good pictures in junk mail
    and even the newspaper. In fact, the picture used in "The Romanov Prophecy"
    was from the travel section of the newspaper. I had saved it for a number of
    years, just because I thought it was so beautiful, before I found the
    perfect place for it. The picture in "The Bookwoman's Last Fling" was from
    an insurance/investment brochure. I scrutinize any paper that comes into
    this house for possible pictures before putting it in the recycle bin.

    It's possible that you might be able to get old magazines from your doctor,
    dentist, etc. They usually subscribe to a great many and have to get rid of
    them somehow. Also, ask your friends and relatives. This world is drowning
    in a sea of paper and our visual journaling is making better use of some of
    it (LOL).

    Hope this helps a little. Just train yourself to constantly be on the
    look-out for good pictures.

    Hugs,

    Eliece

    _____

    From: CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com
    [mailto:CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Penny Weiss

    All this talk recently of integrating pictures into your journal page made
    me start thinking about a question I've had for a while now. I love the way
    that Dawn, Eliece, Linda, and some of the others incorporate pictures from
    magazines, but I can never find pictures nearly as interesting as you all
    do.

    My question is: what magazines does everyone use to get all these unique
    and fun pictures to work with? I don't subscribe to very many magazines so
    I'm always lacking fun pictures to put in my journal.

    Please help me to find some fun pictures to add to my pages! *SMILE*
    Message 2 of 14 , Apr 22 10:29 AM
      Penny,
      You could always ask that the doctors' offices donate the magazines to you instead of throwing them away....
      ~*~Walks~*~

      All this talk recently of integrating pictures into your journal page made me start thinking about a question I've had for a while now. I love the way that Dawn, Eliece, Linda, and some of the others incorporate pictures from magazines, but I can never find pictures nearly as interesting as you all do.

      My question is: what magazines does everyone use to get all these unique and fun pictures to work with? I don't subscribe to very many magazines so I'm always lacking fun pictures to put in my journal.

      Please help me to find some fun pictures to add to my pages! *SMILE*

      Penny in Orlando

      "There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner. Wind themselves around your limbs like spider silk, and when you are so enthralled you cannot move, they pierce your skin, enter your blood, numb your thoughts. Inside you they work their magic." -- Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

    • Penny Weiss
      Message 3 of 14 , Apr 22 10:39 AM
        Thanks Walks, that is exactly what I'm going to do the next time I go.

        ________________________________

        Message 4 of 14 , Apr 22 10:40 AM
          Thanks, Walks! You and Eliece must be on the same wavelength today! hee hee

          "There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner. Wind themselves around your limbs like spider silk, and when you are so enthralled you cannot move, they pierce your skin, enter your blood, numb your thoughts. Inside you they work their magic." -- Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

          ________________________________

          Check with your local library to about what they do with their old magazines, some will give them away.

          --
          ,%%%,
          ,%%%` %==--

          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
          It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

          (¯`v´¯)
          `*.¸.*´
          ¸.*´¸.**¨) ¸.**¨)
          (¸.*´ (¸.*´ .*´ ¸¸.*¨¯`*.
          I'll Spread my Wings and I'll Learn How To Fly!

          www.semperfifund.org <http://www.semperfifund.org/>
          www.monkeyhelpers.org <http://www.monkeyhelpers.org/>
          www.homesforourtroops.org <http://www.homesforourtroops.org/>
          www.armedforcesfoundation.org <http://www.armedforcesfoundation.org/>
          www.hopeforthewarriors.org <http://www.hopeforthewarriors.org/>
          www.fav.org <http://www.fav.org/>
          http://sempermax.com <http://sempermax.com/>
          http://fotwf.org/ <http://fotwf.org/>

          \
          /.(((
          (,/"(((____,--.
          __,_\ )__( /{
          """"""""""""""""""
        • Hazel Hoffman

[...]

                     ,    %%@ /\_/
              ,%.-"""--%%% "00__
              %%/             |__`\
            .%'\     |   \   /  //
              ,%' > .'----\ |  [/
            < <`          ||
            `\\\          ||
            {       |   {   \\\      )\   {   |
            `·.,¸*¸,.·´¯`*\|/*´¯`·.,¸\*/¸^\\||||||||||||//¸\*/¸·\|/*´¯`·.,¸*¸,.·´¯`*\|/*

            Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
            It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

            (¯`v´¯)
            `*.¸.*´
            ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
            (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.
            I'll Spread my Wings and I'll Learn How To Fly!

            www.semperfifund.org
            www.monkeyhelpers.org
            www.homesforourtroops.org
            www.armedforcesfoundation.org
            www.hopeforthewarriors.org
            www.fav.org
            http://sempermax.com
            http://fotwf.org/

            \
               /.(((
              (,/"(((____,--.
              __,_\  )__(  /{
            """"""""""""""""""
          • Janice Lopez
            Message 6 of 14 , Apr 22 11:25 AM
              I get mine at the local thrift shop - they have loads of national
              geographic, craft and sometime old 60s magazines.

              From: Penny Weiss <penny@... <mailto:penny@...>

              Subject: [CompositionArtJournals] Question about getting pictures
              from magazines
              To: CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 8 of 14 , Apr 22 12:21 PM
                  Hi Penny. Just wanted to add 2 things:

                  1. Amazon had some magazine subscription deals not too long ago. I got a few ones free because of what I bought there. Then also there was a deal to get one-year subscriptions for $5 each, which isn't free, but just don't eat at McDonald's once and you've paid for one of them.

                  2. If you come up dry after asking at professionals' offices (cpa's and lawyer's offices have magazines too), you might consider adding to your junk mail with catalogs. If you like to use young fashionable people, maybe Alloy's catalog would provide some. I am not up on the in fashions, so I'm sure there are better stores and designers who have catalogs. I like a Victorian-themed catalog I get. It sometimes has really great images and illustrations. Home Decorators catalog has nice images of their rugs that make good backgrounds and they have nice ornate furniture as well.

                  It all depends on what style and theme. I have made some nice collages from images out of Collections Etc.'s catalog, and the images have been of junk stuff I'd never in my life pay money for. You just never know. I think that some artists have a better eye for seeing the images to cut out. I know my eyes aren't an example of that, but I do improve the more I look.

                  xoxo,
                  Aimeslee

                  Message 9 of 14 , Apr 22 2:13 PM
                    Thanks, Aimeslee! These are also great ideas! i know if I asked you guys you'd all have great responses. I have some great places to start checking now. Thanks!

                    Message 10 of 14 , Apr 22 3:37 PM
                      I'm glad I read on before answering, because everyone has already mentioned most of the places I get magazines, library free box (two local libraries), thrift store, junk mail, catalogs. We also have a second-hand bookstore that sells magazines for a quarter. Yard sales are great and yard sale season is quickly approaching. If you go late on Saturday you can offer a pittance for a whole stack and usually get them. My husband wishes I weren't quite so good at acquiring magazines.

                      Like Eliece, I also have been known to keep an image for years waiting on the right page or mood. I had one catalog with a crazy quilted rooster that I only recently used since the late 80's. I just knew that image spoke to me and I couldn't toss it. I think that may be one of the main reasons I journal, to have a place for all the images and ephemera that speaks to me needing a home.

                      If your library doesn't have a free magazine box, what better day than Earth Day to ask them to provide space for one? I did that 20 years ago and it's been going strong ever since.

                      By the way, the quality of paper and printing magazine and catalog images are printed on and with make a big difference to me. I've found things I liked in Better Homes and Gardens, but their paper stinks.

                      Some of my favorite catalogs to find images are Anthropologie, Free People, & Boden. If I think of more I'll post. In addition to normal images, I love using strips and other shapes of patterns.

                      Fav. magazines: Country Home, Architectural Digest, Metropolitan Home, and lots of other home dec magazines, Victoria (my copies look like paper doilies.) Simple Living has great paper, but not so great images.

                      Also, when I travel or eat somewhere new, I *must* gather paper: menus, napkins, pamphlets, whatever I can find.

                      Dawn
                    • Penny Weiss
                      Message 11 of 14 , Apr 22 4:16 PM

                        Awesome advice, Dawn!  Thank you so much for your help.

                        Message 12 of 14 , Apr 22 8:53 PM
                          A lot of my images come from junk mail, flyers, and catalogs, rather than magazines. My page for today (I'll upload it tomorrow) includes a pair of feet in pink and white striped toe socks. Too fun not to use! I got it from a freebie pamplet on organic vegies at the grocery store last weekend. You know where they keep the real estate flyers? There was a little mag on vegies and one on wine, both printed on nice glossy paper and both free. I haven't subscribed to a magazine in years. You just have to keep your eyes open.

                          Melisa
                          http://www.virtuallydesigned.com/gottamake/

                          --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Penny Weiss" <penny@...> wrote:

                          > All this talk recently of integrating pictures into your journal page made me start thinking about a question I've had for a while now. I love the way that Dawn, Eliece, Linda, and some of the others incorporate pictures from magazines, but I can never find pictures nearly as interesting as you all do.
                          >
                          > My question is: what magazines does everyone use to get all these unique and fun pictures to work with? I don't subscribe to very many magazines so I'm always lacking fun pictures to put in my journal.
                          >
                          > Please help me to find some fun pictures to add to my pages! *SMILE*
                          >
                          > Penny in Orlando
                          >
                          > "There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner. Wind themselves around your limbs like spider silk, and when you are so enthralled you cannot move, they pierce your skin, enter your blood, numb your thoughts. Inside you they work their magic." -- Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

                        • Teresa
                          Message 13 of 14 , Apr 23 9:33 AM
                            Magazines I like to use for their images:

                            Birds and Blooms... I pay $12 a year and they have awesome pics of posies, trees, butterflies, birds, nests, etc.

                            Real Simple... This is a new subscription for me. It was a free trial deal I got. I expected to just accept the first free issue then cancel. But the quality of paper is one of the best I've seen and they have really great images for my journal. (oh, I like to read it, too!)

                            National Geograghic...Some issues are jam packed with useful images, others not so much. But when there are good ones, they are REALLY good.

                            If I think of more I'll let you know. Keep your eyes open for these titles at yard sales, the library, etc.

                            Teresa<<<---back to lurking