Re: Adhesive ??

  • sheadknight
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 17, 2008
      Golden isn't available in any shops in my town (thus, I don't know what
      I'm missing :)), so I use the Liquitex acrylic gel medium or Tony's..?
      Whatever "other brand" Hobby Lobby offers. I have used Mod Podge as
      well, but with mixed results.
      I would experiment a little and find one that you really like to use!
      Good luck!
      kerri

      --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "lannoe" <lannoe@...>
      wrote:

      > What type of adhesive is it that eveyone is using that allows layers
      > be seen through it?
      >
      > Lori

    • Dawn Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 17, 2008
        I've never been able to find Golden or any other matte medium either and I refuse to pay the shipping that doubles the price when I find it online, so I mostly just grab a glue stick. I started using only Matte Mod Podge, but it's messy to use so mostly I use the glue stick.

      • serendipity
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 17, 2008

          I have tried the 3M paper glue and love it, but it's expensive...so I use my xyrons when I want a dry adhesive...and Perfet Paper Adhesive by US Art Quest when I need a wet adhesive.  The Perfect Paper is wonderful because it doesn't warp the paper like other stuff and dries clear, and it comes in matte or glossy!  I buy it at Michael's or Jo Ann's.

          My first choice is always a xyron though...my work is primarily flat and I because I do a lot of mail art, I need an adhesive that can stand a little moisture and/or heat -- with most wet glues don't seem to like.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 17, 2008
            Hi, I've been following this thread with great interest as I've been
            using Mod Podge matte, and liked a lot of the adhesive-sealant
            properties but when I want to stamp over something already glued down,
            it doesn't absorb the ink well and ends up smearing sometimes, etc. I
            have also used Golden soft gel with some the same results. Anyone have
            any suggestions? I haven't tried the regular Golden gel medium...maybe
            that's the answer(?)

            Stacy
            stacygrowing.blogspot.com
          • serendipity
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 17, 2008

              If you want to stamp on the glued down items, I strongly suggest a dry adhesive.  That way you are stamping on paper not adhesive.  If that paper is glossy, use staz on ink for a nice strong image.  If you have to stamp on adhesive, then golden matte gel is a good bet, but you'll definately want to use a solvent based ink...and be careful to let it the ink stand to dry for a bit before you play with it any further...even then, I think you'll find stamping on adhesive a challenge to say the least.

              For those of you that don't like xyron machines, but want a dry adhesive...3M makes rolls of rub on adhesive...similiar to the cartridges for a xyron.  You can find it in art supply stores and online, but it comes in a roll like aluminum foll or waxed paper.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 18, 2008

                I don't do a lot of stamping, so I can't offer any tips on that.  My Modge Modge is good for some things, and not good for others,  so this is like hit or miss.  After reviewing my mediums, I realize that I use the SOFT GEL by Golden.  Ummpp....I never even noticed this. Some Micheals sell the Golden Gel Mediums, and some don't, hence why I used Modge Podge for so long.  My grandmother collages, yes she is really cool :) and she swears by Arlene's Decoupage Glue (?) it is a small container/jar, and she loves this.  Her work is never tacky on the top.  I should take pics of her stuff and put it up when I create a flicker or blog account!

                I wanted to let all know that I hit the jack pot at Hobby Lobby over the weekend.  They had a huge clearance on gel mediums, by Liquitex, and some other mediums that offer texture ( I have never tried but decided for $1.00 I would buy them).  One gel medium by Golden has flakes in it and another has black sand granules.  If anyone has any tips on using these I would love it.  I know, why did I buy them?  Because normally I wouldn't spend $9.00 on something I know nothing about, however for the low price of $1.00 I am willing to experiment.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 18, 2008
                  --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, serendipity
                  <serendipityartist@...> wrote:

                  > If you want to stamp on the glued down items, I strongly suggest a
                  dry adhesive.  That way you are stamping on paper not
                  adhesive.  If that paper is glossy, use staz on ink for a nice
                  strong image.  If you have to stamp on adhesive, then golden
                  matte gel is a good bet, but you'll definately want to use a solvent
                  based ink...and be careful to let it the ink stand to dry for a bit
                  before you play with it any further...even then, I think you'll find
                  stamping on adhesive a challenge to say the least.

                  > For those of you that don't like xyron machines, but want a dry
                  adhesive...3M makes rolls of rub on adhesive...similiar to the
                  cartridges for a xyron.  You can find it in art supply stores and
                  online, but it comes in a roll like aluminum foll or waxed paper.

                  Thanks so much for the great info on stamping + adhesive! You guys are
                  great!

                  Stacy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 18, 2008
                    That does sound like quite the jackpot there.
                    Just experiment with 'em and see what happens.  *grins*
                    Light of heart,
                    ~*~Walks~*~