Re: getting started

  • lannoe
    Message 1 of 25 , May 6 12:53 PM
      Stephanie;

      So sorry to hear that you are home on medical leave. Hope you get
      better. So each space in the grid is for a book title?

      I finished my first drawing last night, still life, of a pencil box
      sitting on a book. I tried to scan it, but it didn't scan well, guess
      I'll have to take an actual pic to post it.

      It has been years since I have drawn, I love the feeling of getting
      back into it, is so relaxing. But am such a novice, and I just turned
      46, ha!

      Lori (MO)

      --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, stephanie
      <stephieann2@...> wrote:

      > I will be glad to take a photo and post it for you to see! I
      basically left an open grid so that when I read a book I can write it
      on a square and glue it in. I'm doing a separate page for each
      month. I've quite a bit of time to devote to reading, I've been home
      on medical leave for 6 years, and I'm 36 now. Reading helps me pass
      my time away while fighting through a pain flare! I will try to have
      some photos definitely by tomorrow for you all:)

      > lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote: Yes, I'd
      like to see it too. Am reading several books right now.

      > --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanine"
      > <bluestocking86@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Stephanie,
      > >
      > > Care to share about your reading schedule? I love to read and
      would be
      > > interested in hearing about this journal.
      > >
      > > I haven't tried much with chalk or charcoal pencils. I don't
      know how
      > > to keep them from smearing. I am glad you asked that question and
      > > can't wait to see the answers.
      > >
      > > Jeanine
      > >

      > ---------------------------------
      Try it now.

    • stephanie
      Message 2 of 25 , May 6 4:07 PM
        I  chose a spring motif since its finally starting here in Michigan! I put a border along each of the two pages.  Then I used squares to make a "quilt" type look on both pages.  I think I have just 8 squares since May has begun and I'm a little behind in reading.  I'm going to keep each month on its own separate page so I can grow in the learning process!! Then I am thinking of even making separate pages for my very favorite books like "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle.  I really want to get the grids perfected.  I want to begin making myself an art journal for a day planner for either the rest of this year or for all of next year!! I just have to figure out what size post its to use to make the squares!! I hope to take a picture soon, I'm working on the rest of my squares some this evening.

        <stephieann2@ ...> wrote:

        > I will be glad to take a photo and post it for you to see! I
        basically left an open grid so that when I read a book I can write it
        on a square and glue it in. I'm doing a separate page for each
        month. I've quite a bit of time to devote to reading, I've been home
        on medical leave for 6 years, and I'm 36 now. Reading helps me pass
        my time away while fighting through a pain flare! I will try to have
        some photos definitely by tomorrow for you all:)

        > lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote: Yes, I'd
        like to see it too. Am reading several books right now.

        > --- In CompositionArtJourn als@yahoogroups. com, "Jeanine"
        > <bluestocking86@ > wrote:
        > >
        > > Stephanie,
        > >
        > > Care to share about your reading schedule? I love to read and
        would be
        > > interested in hearing about this journal.
        > >
        > > I haven't tried much with chalk or charcoal pencils. I don't
        know how
        > > to keep them from smearing. I am glad you asked that question and
        > > can't wait to see the answers.
        > >
        > > Jeanine
        > >

        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        Try it now.

      • Jeanine
        Message 3 of 25 , May 6 7:23 PM
          Sorry to hear you are on medical leave.

          I can't wait to see a picture of this. So far I am just keeping a list
          on the computer of what I read. Nothing artsy. It never occurred to me
          to more.

          Just because I found this kinda ha ha. I am 56. So we now have 36, 46,
          and 56!

          <stephieann2@...> wrote:

          > I will be glad to take a photo and post it for you to see! I
          basically left an open grid so that when I read a book I can write it
          on a square and glue it in. I'm doing a separate page for each month.
          I've quite a bit of time to devote to reading, I've been home on
          medical leave for 6 years, and I'm 36 now. Reading helps me pass my
          time away while fighting through a pain flare! I will try to have some
          photos definitely by tomorrow for you all:)

          > lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote: Yes, I'd like
          to see it too. Am reading several books right now.

          > --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanine"
          > <bluestocking86@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Stephanie,
          > >
          > > Care to share about your reading schedule? I love to read and
          would be
          > > interested in hearing about this journal.
          > >
          > > I haven't tried much with chalk or charcoal pencils. I don't know how
          > > to keep them from smearing. I am glad you asked that question and
          > > can't wait to see the answers.
          > >
          > > Jeanine
          > >

          > ---------------------------------
          Try it now.

        • Barbara Backer
          Message 4 of 25 , May 6 9:41 PM
            And I am 66!!! Barbara in SC

            >Just because I found this kinda ha ha. I am 56. So we now have 36, 46,
            >and 56!
          • lannoe
            Message 5 of 25 , May 7 5:56 AM
              Okay do we have a 76???

              Lori

              --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Backer

            • Jeffgenct@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , May 7 6:25 PM
                Well, if we'd had this conversation a coupla months ago, I could've chimed in with "76!"  But I left that and went on to 77.
                Margie

                p.s. When I was in JoAnn's today, I bought up some cool post-its for to set up a page or two.  Thanks for all the inspiration, all of you.
              • lannoe
                Message 7 of 25 , May 8 6:14 AM
                  Oh, your still a spring chick! Humm I may have to run over to JoAnn's
                  myself.

                  After I get the post its tho, I don't have a clue???

                  Lori

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 8 9:38 AM
                    I get the cutest post its pretty much everywhere! I got some really cute Mary Engelbriet ones on Ebay and at Meijers, I always pick some up at Walmart and Target too.  I use them to remind me of things everywhere and to write positive affirmations on to post around! I like blank ones too that I can decorate with my stamps!

                    To get started you could use your post its to make a border around your page, or paint or color your page with a background color.  Then put arrange your post its around on the page in a quilt shape or calendar pattern and write on them from there I'm going to finish my May Reading pages today (I had a late dr appointment yesterday) and will try to figure out how post the pictures as soon as they are done.

                    lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote:
                    Oh, your still a spring chick! Humm I may have to run over to JoAnn's
                    myself.

                    After I get the post its tho, I don't have a clue???

                    Lori

                    --- In CompositionArtJourn als@yahoogroups. com, Jeffgenct@.. . wrote:

                    > Well, if we'd had this conversation a coupla months ago, I could've
                    chimed in with "76!"? But I left that and went on to 77.
                    > Margie
                    >
                    > p.s. When I was in JoAnn's today, I bought up some cool post-its for
                    to set up a page or two.? Thanks for all the inspiration, all of you.

                  • Mary Hazlett
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 8 9:49 AM
                      one time i bought scrapbook papers on sale and glued them into a regular journal.  i got them for about a dime for a large sheet.  then i had different kinds of paper for different days -- valentine's day, christmas, birthdays, etc.

                      i've also recently made my own journals (not composition).  we have a discount paper place near me -- all kinds of colored papers, pens, envelopes, office supplies, and it is CHEAP.  i've taken pads of colored paper, torn them all out, got stiff backing (about a quarter at the place), found a pretty page for the cover and found cards i liked (save cards someone sends you and use the covers), went to kinkos, had the cover/card stiff laminated and then the whole thing spiral bound for about $7.  it is personal.  more expensive than comp notebooks, but also a personalized way to make a journal gift or use it yourself.

                      lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote:
                      Oh, your still a spring chick! Humm I may have to run over to JoAnn's
                      myself.

                      After I get the post its tho, I don't have a clue???

                      Lori

                      --- In CompositionArtJourn als@yahoogroups. com, Jeffgenct@.. . wrote:

                      > Well, if we'd had this conversation a coupla months ago, I could've
                      chimed in with "76!"? But I left that and went on to 77.
                      > Margie
                      >
                      > p.s. When I was in JoAnn's today, I bought up some cool post-its for
                      to set up a page or two.? Thanks for all the inspiration, all of you.

                      "The Uses of Sorrow"
                      Someone I loved once gave me/a box full of darkness
                      It took me years to understand/that this, too, was a gift.  -- Mary Oliver

                    • stephanie
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 8 11:08 AM
                        That is great ideas! Thank you for sharing them! I like to write a lot of letters and I have some disabled pen pals.  I pick up lots of really cute note pads at the dollar stores.  Our grocery store, Meijers sells colorbok stationary notepads and post its for $1.  Our Target even has an area of gel pens, note pads, postits and stamps for $1.  Last night, I went to the Dollar Store and got some colored pencils and watercolors.  I'm using recycled paper and it really soaked up the pretty coral paint I was using and it made me run out of color..maybe I will try acrylics next! I like to cut up the stationary and use them as scraps.  On my very first project, I used my scalloped edge craft scissors (I bought 3 pair at Walmart for $3) and I used that to border the edges of my journal page! It livened it right up:) That's a good idea about saving cards too, I get a lot in the mail and will have to save them:)

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 9 12:51 PM
                          zYes, keep sharing your ideas, cause am new to this and need all the
                          help I can get.

                          After you write on the post-its, and have the page completed do you
                          cover the page with something to keep the postits from coming off
                          like mode podge or something??

                          <stephieann2@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          May Reading pages today (I had a late dr appointment yesterday) and
                          will try to figure out how post the pictures as soon as they are
                          done.

                          > lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote: Oh, your still a spring chick! Humm
                          I may have to run over to JoAnn's
                          > myself.
                          >
                          > After I get the post its tho, I don't have a clue???
                          >
                          > Lori
                          >
                          > --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Jeffgenct@ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Well, if we'd had this conversation a coupla months ago, I
                          could've
                          > chimed in with "76!"? But I left that and went on to 77.
                          > > Margie
                          > >
                          > > p.s. When I was in JoAnn's today, I bought up some cool post-its
                          for
                          > to set up a page or two.? Thanks for all the inspiration, all of

                          Mobile. Try it now.

                          > "The Uses of Sorrow"
                          > Someone I loved once gave me/a box full of darkness
                          > It took me years to understand/that this, too, was a gift. --
                          Mary Oliver

                          > ---------------------------------
                          Try it now.

                        • stephanie
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 9 1:01 PM
                            So far, I've simply glued with a glue stick my post its on the page and they have managed to stay on.  I wondered that too if someone used the mode podge or even used a self illaminating sheet.  So far I've seen a lot done with just post its being glued on to pages.  I go to google and look up art journal links that show photos.  Many even offer me descriptions of how it was created which is really cool!

                            <stephieann2@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                            May Reading pages today (I had a late dr appointment yesterday) and
                            will try to figure out how post the pictures as soon as they are
                            done.

                            > lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote: Oh, your still a spring chick! Humm
                            I may have to run over to JoAnn's
                            > myself.
                            >
                            > After I get the post its tho, I don't have a clue???
                            >
                            > Lori
                            >
                            > --- In CompositionArtJourn als@yahoogroups. com, Jeffgenct@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Well, if we'd had this conversation a coupla months ago, I
                            could've
                            > chimed in with "76!"? But I left that and went on to 77.
                            > > Margie
                            > >
                            > > p.s. When I was in JoAnn's today, I bought up some cool post-its
                            for
                            > to set up a page or two.? Thanks for all the inspiration, all of

                            Mobile. Try it now.

                            > "The Uses of Sorrow"
                            > Someone I loved once gave me/a box full of darkness
                            > It took me years to understand/that this, too, was a gift. --
                            Mary Oliver

                            > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                            Try it now.

                          • laughingbear
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 10 11:54 PM
                              Barbara I was all set to be the crone of the group and you beat me all heck and gone. I will be 64 this December. I am amazed so many newbies speaking up. I too wave my paw with the newbies. I am so excited about all the different ideas. I like the reading journals for the same reasons as most of you, I love to read!! I have read forever, I have wanted to be artistic forever and now I have the chance to put them together. I am excited at the ideas in lieu of actually drawing things. I want to draw, but not at first as it looks just like scribble. Stephanie sorry to hear about your medical leave, I think I read earlier that you have fms?? I have been disabled with it for nine years now. If it wasn't for the pain and lack of money,  the time to do things is the only miracle I have found. When people send photos in this group do you include them in emails or go to the photo page more often?? I really want to see all these wonderful ideas. I can think of a couple books I have read that I would love to dedicate a whole two page layout to it. How much more intimate the whole experience it will become. I love mysteries, fiction, bios and all kinds of how to books. I live alone and have just created a whole room dedicated to the arts and creating. I feel I have missed so much I want to just jump in the deep end of the pool and swim just like a seal. Looking forward to this whole experience. You all sound like this is a great group glad I found it.
                              Bonnie Jean

                              <stephieann2@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              May Reading pages today (I had a late dr appointment yesterday) and
                              will try to figure out how post the pictures as soon as they are
                              done.

                              > lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote: Oh, your still a spring chick! Humm
                              I may have to run over to JoAnn's
                              > myself.
                              >
                              > After I get the post its tho, I don't have a clue???
                              >
                              > Lori
                              >
                              > --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Jeffgenct@ wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Well, if we'd had this conversation a coupla months ago, I
                              could've
                              > chimed in with "76!"? But I left that and went on to 77.
                              > > Margie
                              > >
                              > > p.s. When I was in JoAnn's today, I bought up some cool post-its
                              for
                              > to set up a page or two.? Thanks for all the inspiration, all of

                              Mobile. Try it now.

                              > "The Uses of Sorrow"
                              > Someone I loved once gave me/a box full of darkness
                              > It took me years to understand/that this, too, was a gift. --
                              Mary Oliver

                              > ---------------------------------
                              Try it now.

                              Peace and love for all
                            • stephanie
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 11 11:43 AM
                                Hi Bonnie!!
                                I became ill in college with CFIDS.  Two years out of college I had FMS and MPS, and was disabled by 30.  Now I am 36 and have had rheumatoid arthritis for the past few years and a connective tissue disease as well as a liver issue and some genetic health issues.  I love reading! I collect journals and one day someone suggested art journaling to me!

                                Today, I went to Walmart and bought a bunch of acrylic paints for .54 each bottle! I also got a can of fixative for $4 to spray over my pages when  I  use chalks! I got a bunch of great colors and cannot wait to get started.  I viewed some of the journals on the groups home page here.  Just go to the group section and click on photos and you will see other members great works! I haven't posted anything yet...we are having rain and temperature change which is causing an FMS and RA flare..but I hope to soon:)

                                <stephieann2@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                                May Reading pages today (I had a late dr appointment yesterday) and
                                will try to figure out how post the pictures as soon as they are
                                done.

                                > lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote: Oh, your still a spring chick! Humm
                                I may have to run over to JoAnn's
                                > myself.
                                >
                                > After I get the post its tho, I don't have a clue???
                                >
                                > Lori
                                >
                                > --- In CompositionArtJourn als@yahoogroups. com, Jeffgenct@ wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Well, if we'd had this conversation a coupla months ago, I
                                could've
                                > chimed in with "76!"? But I left that and went on to 77.
                                > > Margie
                                > >
                                > > p.s. When I was in JoAnn's today, I bought up some cool post-its
                                for
                                > to set up a page or two.? Thanks for all the inspiration, all of

                                Mobile. Try it now.

                                > "The Uses of Sorrow"
                                > Someone I loved once gave me/a box full of darkness
                                > It took me years to understand/that this, too, was a gift. --
                                Mary Oliver

                                > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                                Try it now.

                                Peace and love for all

                              • Mary Hazlett
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 11 12:10 PM
                                  hairspray works as a fixitive, too.

                                  <stephieann2@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  May Reading pages today (I had a late dr appointment yesterday) and
                                  will try to figure out how post the pictures as soon as they are
                                  done.

                                  > lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote: Oh, your still a spring chick! Humm
                                  I may have to run over to JoAnn's
                                  > myself.
                                  >
                                  > After I get the post its tho, I don't have a clue???
                                  >
                                  > Lori
                                  >
                                  > --- In CompositionArtJourn als@yahoogroups. com, Jeffgenct@ wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Well, if we'd had this conversation a coupla months ago, I
                                  could've
                                  > chimed in with "76!"? But I left that and went on to 77.
                                  > > Margie
                                  > >
                                  > > p.s. When I was in JoAnn's today, I bought up some cool post-its
                                  for
                                  > to set up a page or two.? Thanks for all the inspiration, all of

                                  Mobile. Try it now.

                                  > "The Uses of Sorrow"
                                  > Someone I loved once gave me/a box full of darkness
                                  > It took me years to understand/that this, too, was a gift. --
                                  Mary Oliver

                                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                                  Try it now.

                                  Peace and love for all

                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 13 1:30 AM
                                    Hi Stephanie, I am so excited about the possibilities. Thanks for the heads up about the acrylics, if I get a chance to go to the big city I'll check wallys world out. I went to Fred Myers today and found a perfect journal, some great colored pens, brushes and wished I was in the dollar store. I shattered a hip and because of complications and fibro am stuck mostly in a wheelchair. Perfect to do creative things lousy to go and  gather materieals. Oh well enough whining especially when I am out of cheese. I will check out the group site for iother group members stuff. Thanks! Now use those paints and post some photo, I can't wait to see them.
                                    Bonnie

                                    <stephieann2@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    May Reading pages today (I had a late dr appointment yesterday) and
                                    will try to figure out how post the pictures as soon as they are
                                    done.

                                    > lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote: Oh, your still a spring chick! Humm
                                    I may have to run over to JoAnn's
                                    > myself.
                                    >
                                    > After I get the post its tho, I don't have a clue???
                                    >
                                    > Lori
                                    >
                                    > --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Jeffgenct@ wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Well, if we'd had this conversation a coupla months ago, I
                                    could've
                                    > chimed in with "76!"? But I left that and went on to 77.
                                    > > Margie
                                    > >
                                    > > p.s. When I was in JoAnn's today, I bought up some cool post-its
                                    for
                                    > to set up a page or two.? Thanks for all the inspiration, all of

                                    Mobile. Try it now.

                                    --
                                    Peace and love for all
                                  • stephanie
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 13 9:45 AM
                                      Hi Bonniie!
                                      I am glad that you found a perfect journal and pens and brushes!! I'm so sorry about your shattered hip! FMS is enough to handle on its own without any other thing causing us pain! I posted my colored pencil/ink stamp pics last night (they look a little blurry) My rechargeable batteries for my camera were dead so I used the webcam! I'm going to get out those paints soon and start my June reading schedule! I'm also excited to start a personal growth/regular journal too using art, and I also still really want to make a daily/monthly art planner:)

                                      <stephieann2@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                                      May Reading pages today (I had a late dr appointment yesterday) and
                                      will try to figure out how post the pictures as soon as they are
                                      done.

                                      > lannoe <lannoe@...> wrote: Oh, your still a spring chick! Humm
                                      I may have to run over to JoAnn's
                                      > myself.
                                      >
                                      > After I get the post its tho, I don't have a clue???
                                      >
                                      > Lori
                                      >
                                      > --- In CompositionArtJourn als@yahoogroups. com, Jeffgenct@ wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Well, if we'd had this conversation a coupla months ago, I
                                      could've
                                      > chimed in with "76!"? But I left that and went on to 77.
                                      > > Margie
                                      > >
                                      > > p.s. When I was in JoAnn's today, I bought up some cool post-its
                                      for
                                      > to set up a page or two.? Thanks for all the inspiration, all of

                                      Mobile. Try it now.