Newbie from Missouri

  • lannoe
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2008
      I just wanted to introduce myself. I am married, mother of 2 and work
      full-time. I love to draw, scrap, quilt,you name it. I hae never put
      together a art journal and thought this would be a good place to start.

      Happy Day
      Lori
    • Shelly
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2008
        lannoe wrote:
        > I just wanted to introduce myself. I am married, mother of 2 and work
        > full-time. I love to draw, scrap, quilt,you name it. I hae never put
        > together a art journal and thought this would be a good place to start.

        Welcome!

        And I dunno, but I think scrapbooking is definitely a form of visual
        journaling, so you should be on familiar territory here.

        --
        Shelly
      • lannoe
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2008
          --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Shelly <shelly@...>
          wrote:

          > lannoe wrote:
          > > I just wanted to introduce myself. I am married, mother of 2 and
          work
          > > full-time. I love to draw, scrap, quilt,you name it. I hae never
          put
          > > together a art journal and thought this would be a good place to
          start.

          > Welcome!
          >
          > And I dunno, but I think scrapbooking is definitely a form of
          visual
          > journaling, so you should be on familiar territory here.
          >
          > --
          > Shelly
          > http://www.cat-sidh.net (the Mother Ship)
          > http://esther.cat-sidh.net (Letters to Esther)

          Thank you for the welcome. Where do I get started here??

          Lori

        • Shelly
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2008
            lannoe wrote:

            > Thank you for the welcome. Where do I get started here??

            You grab a notebook and start playing. It can be as simple or as
            complicated as you want. You can draw, paint, journal, or collage.
            You can create a theme journal--lots of movie and reading
            journals out there, as well as recipe journals. Some folks use
            their notebooks as illustrated calendars/planners. I've seen them
            used for illustrated class or research notes. And I would assume
            that anything you do in scrapbooking would be appropriate and
            do-able in an art journal, so that might give you a starting place.

            If you're stuck for ideas, you can Google for "journal prompts." A
            lot of them are geared toward just written journaling, but there's
            no reason you can't use them for visual journaling, too.

            Something I've done in the past (and I ought to do again, as I've
            been neglecting my journals lately), is to collect all the paper
            junk from the day (mail, receipts, candy wrappers, etc.) and then
            glue it into my journal. You can use that ephemera as a jumping off
            point for journaling, or it can just be left as a simple visual element.

            To share work with the group, you can upload it to Flickr, post it
            to a blog, or upload it to the group's photos section. If you've
            got questions on how to do any of that, just ask.

            You can also browse through the Flickr group, if you need a little
            inspiration:

            http://www.flickr.com/groups/composition_book_art_journals/pool/

            About the Yahoo group--it can get kind of quiet here at times. I
            think right now, a lot of folks are busy with the end of the school
            year (actually, all my Yahoo groups and newsgroups have gone *very*
            quiet over the past few weeks). I only mention it, because I'd hate
            for you to get discouraged by the quiet. It's just part of the
            natural rhythm of Teh Internets. It'll pick up again before long.

            --
            Shelly
          • lannoe
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2008
              wrote:

              > lannoe wrote:
              >
              > > Thank you for the welcome. Where do I get started here??
              >
              > You grab a notebook and start playing. It can be as simple or as
              > complicated as you want. You can draw, paint, journal, or collage.
              > You can create a theme journal--lots of movie and reading
              > journals out there, as well as recipe journals. Some folks use
              > their notebooks as illustrated calendars/planners. I've seen them
              > used for illustrated class or research notes. And I would assume
              > that anything you do in scrapbooking would be appropriate and
              > do-able in an art journal, so that might give you a starting place.
              >
              > If you're stuck for ideas, you can Google for "journal prompts." A
              > lot of them are geared toward just written journaling, but there's
              > no reason you can't use them for visual journaling, too.
              >
              > Something I've done in the past (and I ought to do again, as I've
              > been neglecting my journals lately), is to collect all the paper
              > junk from the day (mail, receipts, candy wrappers, etc.) and then
              > glue it into my journal. You can use that ephemera as a jumping
              off
              > point for journaling, or it can just be left as a simple visual
              element.

              > To share work with the group, you can upload it to Flickr, post it
              > to a blog, or upload it to the group's photos section. If you've
              > got questions on how to do any of that, just ask.
              >
              > You can also browse through the Flickr group, if you need a little
              > inspiration:
              >
              > http://www.flickr.com/groups/composition_book_art_journals/pool/
              >
              > About the Yahoo group--it can get kind of quiet here at times. I
              > think right now, a lot of folks are busy with the end of the school
              > year (actually, all my Yahoo groups and newsgroups have gone *very*
              > quiet over the past few weeks). I only mention it, because I'd
              hate
              > for you to get discouraged by the quiet. It's just part of the
              > natural rhythm of Teh Internets. It'll pick up again before long.
              >
              > --
              > Shelly
              > http://www.cat-sidh.net (the Mother Ship)
              > http://esther.cat-sidh.net (Letters to Esther)

              Glad you said something about it being quiet, cause yes I like a busy
              board, but it makes since people busy with school and finals. My DD
              has finals at the university next week.

              So this group doesn't give like weekly prompts or anything?? I have
              also picked up the book Visual Chronicals to get me started.

              Thanks for the information.
              Lori

            • Dawn Smith
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2008
                wrote:

                > lannoe wrote:
                >
                > > Thank you for the welcome. Where do I get started here??
                >
                > You grab a notebook and start playing. It can be as simple or as
                > complicated as you want. You can draw, paint, journal, or collage.
                <snip>

                Wonderful answer Shelly! I really should get back to work on the
                FAQs. This would be great for that project. Maybe once school is out
                and VBS is over, I can make that project come to life.

                Lori, welcome to the group. I have tried prompts and challenges a few
                times, but haven't had a lot of response on them. I like coming up
                with ideas, but it's nice to see that people are using them. It would
                be great to see photos. A while ago we had several "page recipes" and
                there was some great response to those. A couple were saved in the
                files and you might try searching the archive.

                Are you from northern or southern MO? I'm from northern AR.

                Dawn
                http://on-the-banks-of-bay-creek.blogspot.com/
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/68499916@N00/
              • lannoe
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2008
                  Hi Dawn! I am in central Missouri, Jefferson City the capitol. Didn't
                  have time to get started last night, but am looking forward to trying
                  me hand at it over the weekend.

                  Lori
                  --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Smith" <d-j-