Meriel

  • GraphitePncl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 16, 2008
           Meriel, thank you for writing this. I just lurk here. :) This is great advice. Now, for your mentioning being present, I am taking lots of notes on A New Earth book for Oprah's Book Club. Anyone interested go to www.Oprah.com/aneweath I've been wanting to stop using my many scrapes of paper in order to save the "journals" for either writing or doing artwork. It's for important things, I tell myself. I must save money. I have piles of scrap paper to go through of web sites, etc.The way you talk about it, makes it fun to document your life. Make a mess of your journals. I love it. I'll take a look at your list of books. If you read anymore good books, let us know. I agree with you about laughter, especially when you are in pain. The more pain you are in, the more laughter you need, even when you don't feel like laughing.

           Toby

      Kathy,

      I'm new here and still lurking, but just wanted to suggest something.
      Learning to use humor as a survival tactic can be really helpful in
      opening up creativity. Go for the funny instead of documenting the dark.

      Some books that helped me were:

      Don't Get Mad, Get Funny"
      "The Healing Power of Humor"
      "Laffirmations"
      "Health, Healing and The Amuse System"
      "Comedy Writing Secrets"
      "How to Write and Sell Your Sense of Humor"
      "How to Draw Cartoons Editors Will Buy"

      It has been VERY difficult for me to learn to use humor ACTIVELY
      rather than just passively WATCH others use it. It is worth the work
      though. It has been a powerful coping technique and has opened up

    • Janet Straub
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 17, 2008
        Thank you Meriel.  I have stacks of empty journals all waiting to be perfectly written in or perfectly collaged in or perfectly painted in.  Just waiting for me to be perfect, I guess.  I also have clippings, notes, just all kinds of things that are begging to be put into some kind of "order."  I love the kind of journaling you wrote about.  I just forgot it! Thank you for reminding me that these journals can be used in many, many ways, and that messy is good.  And fun.  And relaxing.  And.....

        Janet
      • meriel33
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18, 2008
          Last night I drew a foot in a pointe shoe and drew a simple celtic
          knot border in pink and magenta around the edge. There is a LOT of
          white space on either side of the foot on pointe. I will fill that up
          with everything that needs to be written down today, including notes
          from a doctor's appointment.

          On the next page I drew a border in a simple quilting pattern in
          bright green and drew a big yellow smiley face in the upper right
          corner. I took notes from "The Healing Power of Humor" on it. I used
          simple green check marks as bullets.

          I have a friend who watches Oprah's New Earth broadcasts every Monday.
          Notes from them would be PERFECT for filling up any whitespace in your
          journal doodles. Or create a special border and custom bullets just
          for your New Earth notes and have a special page or two all ready to
          go for Monday.

          Have fun!! Journals are to be USED!

          --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, GraphitePncl@... wrote:

          > Meriel, thank you for writing this. I just lurk here. :) This is great
          > advice. Now, for your mentioning being present, I am taking lots of
          notes on A New
          > Earth book for Oprah's Book Club. Anyone interested go to
          > _www.Oprah.com/aneweath_ (http://www.Oprah.com/aneweath) I've been
          wanting to stop using my
          > many scrapes of paper in order to save the "journals" for either
          writing or
          > doing artwork. It's for important things, I tell myself. I must
          save money. I
          > have piles of scrap paper to go through of web sites, etc.The way
          you talk
          > about it, makes it fun to document your life. Make a mess of your
          journals. I
          > love it. I'll take a look at your list of books. If you read
          anymore good books,
          > let us know. I agree with you about laughter, especially when you
          are in
          > pain. The more pain you are in, the more laughter you need, even
          when you don't
          > feel like laughing.
          >
          > Toby
        • meriel33
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 18, 2008
            Yes, journals are good for pasting clippings that otherwise get lost!
            Draw a border around the clipping. Arrange several similar ones on a
            page. Add some art work.

            A recipe clippings journal would be fun.

            --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Straub"
            <jreidstraub@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Meriel. I have stacks of empty journals all waiting to be
            perfectly written in or perfectly collaged in or perfectly painted in.
            Just waiting for me to be perfect, I guess. I also have clippings,
            notes, just all kinds of things that are begging to be put into some
            kind of "order." I love the kind of journaling you wrote about. I
            just forgot it! Thank you for reminding me that these journals can be
            used in many, many ways, and that messy is good. And fun. And
            relaxing. And.....

            > Janet

          • Dawn Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 18, 2008
              I have to heartily agree with both of these posts. A recent page of
              mine remindes me to *use* my journal. I had just taken some design
              notes and made a couple of sketches on a page from a spiral notebook.
              I ripped it out and glued it sideways in my journal. A bit of paint
              around the edge and the spread was done.

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/68499916@N00/2355526791/

              I am totally unable to keep up with stray bits of notes. They *need*
              to go in my journal. Lots of times I will jot things down on an
              envelope or whatever paper is available at the time. That then gets
              glued into my journal. I've had sketches a year old turn up and in
              they go too.

              I've been trying to keep a couple of pages prepped with at least a
              base coat of paint and keep it close to my computer as I surf.

              Dawn
              http://on-the-banks-of-bay-creek.blogspot.com/
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/68499916@N00/

              --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "meriel33"

            • GraphitePncl@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , May 8, 2008
                     Meriel, sorry for my late response. That's a great idea. I've never done that before.

                     Toby

                Re: Meriel/journals as scrap paper

                Posted by: "meriel33" merielmoore@...   meriel33

                Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:29 am (PDT)

[...]

              • stephanie
                Message 7 of 7 , May 8, 2008
                  I'm keeping a separate journal on Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth.  I took the online class, and the notes and transcripts from each page are anywhere from 40 plus pages long.  Now it will be difficult to just narrow down what I want to put in it:)

                  GraphitePncl@... wrote:
                       Meriel, sorry for my late response. That's a great idea. I've never done that before.

                       Toby

                  Re: Meriel/journals as scrap paper

                  Posted by: "meriel33" merielmoore@ yahoo.com   meriel33

                  Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:29 am (PDT)