Re: First journal cover

  • seascholl
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5 3:08 AM
      I enjoyed looking at all three of your covers.....especially liked #3
      and would like to know more about your ARTwork on its cover. I also
      need to ask if you have had any problems with the SHELLAC cracking
      when you use your journal? Thanks for sharing and inspiring! Diann

      --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "zzklar"
      <pixiesprinkledust@h...> wrote:

      > --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "zzklar"
      > <pixiesprinkledust@h...> wrote:
      > > I forgot to say the folder is in the photo section and is titled
      > 'Julia's journals'
      > > I have just uploaded an image of the first journal cover I have
      made
      > > since I joined this group.
      > >
      > > the leaf is one I collected last fall and dried under the rug in
      my
      > > study. I used crumpled brown paper, fabric strips and shellac
      for
      > > this one.
      > >
      > > Ive become very fond of shellac and have used it for the two
      journal
      > > covers I am making at the moment as well. I will add them as soon
      as
      > > they are dry.
    • zzklar
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5 3:48 AM
        --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "seascholl"
        <DiannHScholl@a...> wrote:

        I havent had a problem with the shellac cracking as yet. I wonder if
        that is because the crumpled paper i used as a base has a certain
        amount of movement in it.

        I once had a dining room table treated with shellac and it was the
        bane of my existance! So much so I had it all stripped off in the end.

        I have also used shellac as a surface for some of my paintings and I
        like the murkiness it gives everything. however, that means I have to
        use fairly intense colours to begin with or they get lost.

        > I enjoyed looking at all three of your covers.....especially liked #3
        > and would like to know more about your ARTwork on its cover. I also
        > need to ask if you have had any problems with the SHELLAC cracking
        > when you use your journal? Thanks for sharing and inspiring! Diann
        >
        > --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "zzklar"
        > <pixiesprinkledust@h...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "zzklar"
        > > <pixiesprinkledust@h...> wrote:
        > > > I forgot to say the folder is in the photo section and is titled
        > > 'Julia's journals'
        > > > I have just uploaded an image of the first journal cover I have
        > made
        > > > since I joined this group.
        > > >
        > > > the leaf is one I collected last fall and dried under the rug in
        > my
        > > > study. I used crumpled brown paper, fabric strips and shellac
        > for
        > > > this one.
        > > >
        > > > Ive become very fond of shellac and have used it for the two
        > journal
        > > > covers I am making at the moment as well. I will add them as soon
        > as
        > > > they are dry.
      • zzklar
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5 3:54 AM
          --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "seascholl"
          <DiannHScholl@a...> wrote:

          the images on the cover are a montage of faces I collected over the
          last little while.

          I started with a base of clasified advertisements of births, deaths
          and marriages, layered that with the burned page and built up the
          faces after that.

          If I was doing something similar again I would attach the face montage
          before the burned paper.

          The words were cut from this morning's paper and I had to superimpose
          an 'o' because I could find the word 'list' but not 'lost'

          The book of the lost is a journal I have started about friends I have
          lost track of over the years and I hope during the writing of it I
          manage to relocate some of them.

          > I enjoyed looking at all three of your covers.....especially liked #3
          > and would like to know more about your ARTwork on its cover. I also
          > need to ask if you have had any problems with the SHELLAC cracking
          > when you use your journal? Thanks for sharing and inspiring! Diann
          >
          > --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "zzklar"
          > <pixiesprinkledust@h...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "zzklar"
          > > <pixiesprinkledust@h...> wrote:
          > > > I forgot to say the folder is in the photo section and is titled
          > > 'Julia's journals'
          > > > I have just uploaded an image of the first journal cover I have
          > made
          > > > since I joined this group.
          > > >
          > > > the leaf is one I collected last fall and dried under the rug in
          > my
          > > > study. I used crumpled brown paper, fabric strips and shellac
          > for
          > > > this one.
          > > >
          > > > Ive become very fond of shellac and have used it for the two
          > journal
          > > > covers I am making at the moment as well. I will add them as soon
          > as
          > > > they are dry.
        • shelly
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5 4:27 AM
            on 2004-10-05 at 04:26 <pixiesprinkledust@...> wrote:

            >Ive become very fond of shellac and have used it for the two
            >journal covers I am making at the moment as well. I will add
            >them as soon as they are dry.

            wow! i really like your covers. i may have to steal your
            brown paper bag idea. :)

            i've never really worked with shellac before, at least not in
            this way. how does it hold up? is it flexible?

            --
            shelly
            http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5 5:49 AM
              <pixiesprinkledust@h...> wrote:

              > The book of the lost is a journal I have started about friends I
              have
              > lost track of over the years and I hope during the writing of it I
              > manage to relocate some of them.

              Oh how neat! That is a wonderful journal to keep and I hope you do
              have luck locating some of the misplaced friends! I like that idea!
              Diann
            • zzklar
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 5 6:33 AM
                --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, shelly
                <scouvrette@b...> wrote:
                > on 2004-10-05 at 04:26 <pixiesprinkledust@h...> wrote:
                > Im not sure what happens to it long term and with those covers i
                dont minds so much - if it cracks and moved a bit it will add to the
                atmosphere of the covers. im hoping the crumpled paper i glued to the
                cover will allow some movement.

                > >Ive become very fond of shellac and have used it for the two
                > >journal covers I am making at the moment as well. I will add
                > >them as soon as they are dry.
                >
                > wow! i really like your covers. i may have to steal your
                > brown paper bag idea. :)
                >
                > i've never really worked with shellac before, at least not in
                > this way. how does it hold up? is it flexible?
                >
                > --
                > shelly
                > http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
              • Dawn Smith
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5 6:22 PM
                  I love your covers Julia. For some reason I don't seem to be doing
                  anything with the covers. The only one I've done was on a full
                  journal and that was because it had gotten damp and the black part on
                  the spine fell off. I have another full one. I need to at least do
                  something on that one.

                  Thanks for the inspiration.

                  Dawn
                • shelly
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 6 4:46 AM
                    on 2004-10-05 at 13:33 <pixiesprinkledust@...> wrote:

                    > Im not sure what happens to it long term and with those
                    >covers i dont minds so much - if it cracks and moved a bit it
                    >will add to the atmosphere of the covers. im hoping the
                    >crumpled paper i glued to the cover will allow some movement.

                    it sounds like they're holding up well. i'm intrigued by the
                    fact that it gives a sepia tint to things. it could prove
                    useful for giving an aged appearance. i can't wait to try it,
                    but i'm going to wait until after one of my journals is
                    finished. i'm really hard on them while i'm working in them
                    (i usually fold them backwards, which is horribly abusive!).

                    thanks!