Re: New pages

  • seascholl
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 5, 2004
      Dawn, I really enjoyed your blog pages.....what an AWESOME journal
      and what an inspiration you are! I've kept daily journals for most
      of my life, but hope those in 2005 will be full of color and ART as
      yours are. I'm really concerned with painting pages in the speckled
      composition books.......can you offer any suggestions or advice?
      Keep up the great work and continue to share! Diann

      --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Smith" <d-j-
      smith@c...> wrote:
      > I posted a couple of more pages in my blog. The address is below.
      >
      > Dawn
      > http://on-the-banks-of-bay-creek.blogspot.com/

      http://www.geocities.com/sara_and_her_friends/altered_dictionary.html
    • zzklar
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 5, 2004
        --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Smith"
        <d-j-smith@c...> wrote:

        dawn I love your work! It inspires me to work harder. I think you
        manage the synthesis between image and text in a way i would love to
        be able to.
        > I posted a couple of more pages in my blog. The address is below.
        >
        > Dawn
        > http://on-the-banks-of-bay-creek.blogspot.com/
        > http://www.geocities.com/sara_and_her_friends/altered_dictionary.html
      • shelly
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 5, 2004
          on 2004-10-04 at 20:57 <d-j-smith@...> wrote:

          >I posted a couple of more pages in my blog. The address is
          >below.

          thank you for sharing with us. i love your journal pages.
          you and Julia have given me just the sort of inspiration i
          was needing!

          --
          shelly
          http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 5, 2004
            Thanks Vicki. I've been writing in journals for years. Usually it has
            been an on again off again deal. Adding the painted backgrounds, cut
            and paste and lately drawings has really caused me to write more
            often.

            Dawn

            --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "jolly jeeper"
            <jollyjeeper166@h...> wrote:
            > Oh Dawn, this is sooo inspiring. I still feel really stiff when I
            try to
            > write in a daily journal - I have only finally gotten to the stage
            where I
            > can at least cut and paste! I love to see work that flows...
            >
            > Vicki McG
            /direct/01/
          • Dawn Smith
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 5, 2004
              Angie, I've been using the cheap bottles of acrylics found at Wal-
              mart for 44 cents to around a dollar. I usuall spread them on thinly
              with a sponge. I often go to work with the paint lingering around my
              fingernails. I've tried latex gloves, but I really don't like them.

              On a few of the pages, I've used a fake credit card or piece of
              similar plastic to spread the paint thinly. When I did this, I used a
              couple of colors and didn't mix. I love this look.

              So far I haven't had any problem with pens writing on the paint. I've
              been using gel pens and Zig calligraphy pens for the most part. I
              haven't tried any regular ink pens. I know Laurie said she uses
              Sharpie pens. What pens are you using? That may be the problem.

              Dawn

              --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Angie"
              <princessburninghair@c...> wrote:

              > Dawn,
              > As a newbie to this group and pretty new to art journaling, I
              really
              > enjoyed looking at your pages. I was wondering what kind of paints
              > are you using in these journals? I had been painting pages ahead
              of
              > time as you mentioned that you do... but I found that some paints
              > won't let me write on them! Have you had this problem?
              > Angie in Phoenix
            • Dawn Smith
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 5, 2004
                Thanks Diann. I have been having so much fun with the journals since
                last month when I saw Laurie's with the painted pages. What are you
                concerned about the painting? So far the only time I've had any
                sticking at all was when I left my journal in the hot car. It came
                right apart, but was a tad bit sticky.

                Dawn

                --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "seascholl"
                <DiannHScholl@a...> wrote:

                > Dawn, I really enjoyed your blog pages.....what an AWESOME journal
                > and what an inspiration you are! I've kept daily journals for most
                > of my life, but hope those in 2005 will be full of color and ART as
                > yours are. I'm really concerned with painting pages in the
                speckled
                > composition books.......can you offer any suggestions or advice?
                > Keep up the great work and continue to share! Diann
              • Angie
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 5, 2004
                  I've been using Sharpie pens. Maybe I'm applying my paint to thick?
                  Angie

                  smith@c...> wrote:

                  paint. I've
                  > been using gel pens and Zig calligraphy pens for the most part. I
                  > haven't tried any regular ink pens. I know Laurie said she uses
                  > Sharpie pens. What pens are you using? That may be the problem.
                  >
                  > Dawn

                • shelly
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
                    on 2004-10-06 at 01:35 <d-j-smith@...> wrote:

                    >So far the only time I've had any sticking at all was when I
                    >left my journal in the hot car. It came right apart, but was
                    >a tad bit sticky.

                    i've had some sticking, but it goes away after i write/draw on
                    the pages. one thing people could try, if they're having
                    sticky paint problems, is dusting the pages with talc or corn
                    starch after the paint has dried.

                    --
                    shelly
                    http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
                  • Laurie Gatlin
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
                      I also found these fabulous black ink pens at Wal-mart -- they come in a
                      package of 2 for 99cents -- they're black gel pens and they write
                      beautifully -- on the painted page or on any other surface I've tried so
                      far -- They're called Classic Gels --
                      Laurie

                      >So far I haven't had any problem with pens writing on the paint. I've
                      >been using gel pens and Zig calligraphy pens for the most part. I
                      >haven't tried any regular ink pens. I know Laurie said she uses
                      >Sharpie pens. What pens are you using? That may be the problem.
                      >
                      >Dawn
                    • Dawn Smith
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 28, 2004
                        I put a couple of new pages on my blog. On the last one I got some family
                        input at our Thanksgiving celebration. I love the way it turned out and it
                        was so fun having everyone participate.

                        Dawn
                        http://on-the-banks-of-bay-creek.blogspot.com/
                        http://www.geocities.com/sara_and_her_friends/altered_dictionary.html
                      • Paula in CO
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                          Hi everybody! I'm still here but not posting. I don't keep my journal
                          in a comp book but I am using this sweet book I found on a clearance
                          rack at Hobby Lobby. I like the size: 6"x9". The pages accept paint
                          very well with no bleed through. But Sharpies or other markers bleed
                          through quite a bit. I've posted some pages at my blog and on my
                          picturetrail site.

                          /paula
                          http://www.thequilter.blogspot.com
                          http://www.picturetrail.com/dennee
                        • mainelywalksalone
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 22, 2006
                            I just started a compostion art journal and my blog shows my first
                            attempts. Please leave comments and suggestions! Thanks for looking!

                            Mary Kindred
                            mischievousmary@...
                            Art Blog:
                            http://mischievousmary.thelibraryproject.com
                            Squidoo - "Find handbuilt, recommended, relevant information fast.":
                            http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/kindredspirit
                          • Matt and Gina Ressner
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 22, 2006
                              They are great Mary! I have a hard time with my pages too.
                              Melisa, your comment on Mary's blog helps me too, thanks!

                              Gina
                              http://blackcatdesigns.blogspot.com/

                              mainelywalksalone <kindredspirit@...> wrote:
                              I just started a compostion art journal and my blog shows my first
                              attempts.
                            • Linda Cameron
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 27, 2008
                                Just added 4 journal pages to my photo album (Linda's), or you can go to my blog to see them! Hope you like them!

                                Linda C
                                *****
                                visit my blog at http://www.lindart.blogspot.com
                              • rtgrlie
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 31, 2009
                                  I finished up a summer art journaling group I was hosting, using composition notebooks. I posted a couple covers and a few more pages from the journal here. Take a look, if you like.

                                  http://redtape.typepad.com/red-tape/

                                  Melissa S.
                                  Red Tape
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 1, 2009
                                    Awesome work, Melissa!  :)
                                    And I loved the photo of the snake.  I have one as a pet--a lavender corn snake.  :)
                                    ~*~Walks~*~