Re:My Sharpie didn't work on my acrylic layout!!!!

  • lindart@bellnet.ca
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008
      I use the silver sharpie all the time on my layouts, it's more of a paint though. The black doesn't work. I did buy a big package of Bic Markers, all kinds of colours, and so far they work great on my paint! Got them at Staples. I remember gpoing through a long learning curve trying to find things that would write well on the paint!

      Linda C

      ******
      AKA "Lindart"

      Design Team Member for:
      http://www.alteredpages.com

      See my Art Blog with Art Journals and other works at:
      http://www.lindart.blogspot.com
      updated often
    • cuore_della_luna
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
        My ultra-fine point Sharpie doesn't work over acrylic paint either
        (seems to get gummed up), but the fine point one does (the 'normal'
        sized one). I have found that Pitt pens (in Superfine, Fine and
        Medium points) work well, too, as well as pen and ink dip pens, with
        India Ink or pigmented calligraphy ink (from Speedball). Rose-Art
        markers work great as well, as someone already mentioned, and their
        metallic colors are really vibrant (and much better priced than Sharpies).

        Good luck!

        Kristina

        --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "raivynclaw"
        <raivynclaw@...> wrote:

        > New to all these new techniques, I truly thought my black sharpie would
        > be my new best friend on my First Painted page (actually my composition
        > book cover). To my dismay, my sharpie would not write over my Apple
        > Barrel Acrylic Paints! What have I done wrong? Will I lose my
        > Sharpie's relationship of thinking he is the all mighty can mark on
        > anything and anywhere kind of pen? All that happened was he gathered
        > some paint on the tip and then really wouldn't write for me!
        >
        > Any advice on what can go over one medium and not another would be
        > great! Is there one place where I can gather some basic knowledge of
        > mediums and how they work with or against each other?
        >
        > Thank you :)Larissa

      • Christy Wyrtzen
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
          I love my Farber-Castill Pit pens! Both the brush and fine tips. I haven't used them on acylics but I love to draw and write with them.

          Christy

          > New to all these new techniques, I truly thought my black sharpie would
          > be my new best friend on my First Painted page (actually my composition
          > book cover). To my dismay, my sharpie would not write over my Apple
          > Barrel Acrylic Paints! What have I done wrong? Will I lose my
          > Sharpie's relationship of thinking he is the all mighty can mark on
          > anything and anywhere kind of pen? All that happened was he gathered
          > some paint on the tip and then really wouldn't write for me!

          The short answer: Try Faber-Castell Pitt pens, in brush tip. I
          think they are the least likely to clog on you. You could also try
          RoseArt ColorSharp Metallics. They're fun, opaque, and tend to
          write pretty well over acrylics.

          I believe Dawn actually uses ball point pens over acrylic, and with
          good results. I've always been impressed by that, but haven't tried
          it myself. If you use something like ball point or gel pen on a
          journal cover, beware that the inks are not permanent. You'll
          probably need to seal them somehow.

          > Any advice on what can go over one medium and not another would be
          > great! Is there one place where I can gather some basic knowledge of
          > mediums and how they work with or against each other?

          The longer answer: I don't know of any comprehensive source on
          which pens work best over which media, and if I did, results and
          preferences are guaranteed to differ from one person to the next.

          You might try Mayer's Artist's Handbook. Old copies are dirt cheap,
          but you'd need to get a newer, revised copy for the sort of
          information you want.

          <http://www.amazon. com/Artists- Handbook- Materials- Techniques- Revised/dp/ 0670837016>

          I've written down a few of my own thoughts and experiences with
          various writing materials. Fair warning, though, I don't have good
          things to say about solvent-based markers, specifically Sharpies.

          http://cat-sidh. net/Tutorials/ pens.html

          --
          Shelly
          http://www.cat- sidh.net (the Mother Ship)

        • purrplekatt
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
            I've been wanting to try out the white ink from Speedball, but can't
            seem to find it. Anyone have a source to share?

            Thanks!
            Stacy

            --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "cuore_della_luna"