Random praise

  • imago_obscura
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2008
      What a marvellous half-hour I've just spent at Flickr, going through
      Dawn's art journal pages!
      It comes to me that the modest, inexpensive nature of our chosen
      material (comp books) is a powerful spur to wild creative expression.

      Just think:
      Cheap(usually under $2 for 100 pages!)
      Ubiquitous(you can literally find them everywhere)
      Surprisingly well-made, for the price and materials (the sewn spine
      and board covers protected with tape are a real 'sell' for me, and
      the paper is pretty resilient as well)
      A nice size and shape (there's just something about the appearance of
      a comp book, and also that you can tuck it into art-making places
      where a big sketchbook balks or a smaller one gets lost)
      Something about the book also inspires a bit of personal creative
      anarchy. So many of us had them in school, where we wrote laboriously
      and decorously within the margins, page after page - perhaps with our
      prized Schaeffer fountain pens loaded with Washable Blue ink? (or in
      wilder moments, the unparalleled Peacock Blue)...
      Someone ought to write an ode to comp books...
      Or even better, dig into your stash, pull out a new one, and get to
      steppin' - !!!!

      LL&P,
      WireWoman
    • Jodie Foster
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2008
        Jumping on the Love Train for the comp books!  I think my high school Creative Writing instructor got me hooked.  Spirals, comp books, the freedom to draw, doodle, write like you are talking to a best friend...there were no limits!  We even played practical jokes on her in the entries at times, and often got better grades for the writing!! LOL

        "Namaste"

        Jodie Marie