RE: [CompositionArtJournals] Welcome new members and challenging ideas

  • Lisa Jewell
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 23, 2007

      Hello.  I am one of those new members this week and an avid journal keeper.  This is my first attempt using different art materials in my notebooks.  I have a question to put out there.  I've fallen in love the results I'm getting from watercolor crayons used as background for my pages.  But I can't find a pen that will write on this surface.  I also can't find a white ink pen that will write over black paint.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Lisa in KS

      From: "Dawn Smith" <d-j-smith@...>
      To: <CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [CompositionArtJournals] Welcome new members and challenging ideas
      Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:34:06 -0500

      We have a lot of new members this week and I'd like to say hi to all of you! We'd love to hear about why you joined and what you'd like to get from the group. We tend to talk in streaks here and we've been a bit quiet this week. Anyone have anything to share? I have a couple of newish spreads on my blog and I also posted some pages in a red, white and black altered book to my blog that I don't think I've mentioned.

      Anyone else like to do series of color-themed pages? I've worked in a colors round robin and it was really a stretch. I like seeing the books too with the colors all going together. They used to do color challenges on the glue book group and it was cool to see them in a folder together. Anyone interested in something like that here?

      Also, I've been thinking about starting a flickr group for Compo journals. Are many of you flickr members. I like their photo storage lots better than what yahoo groups offers. I especially like the fact that you can be group specific, but also share with other groups and individuals. Let me know what you think.

      Anyone have any other ideas for challenges or ways to get us moving on our journals and sharing here?

    • Shelly
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 25, 2007
        Lisa Jewell wrote:

        Welcome to the group!

        > I've fallen in love the results I'm getting from
        > watercolor crayons used as background for my pages. But I can't find a pen that
        > will write on this surface.

        I don't know what brand of crayons you are using, but Faber-Castell
        Pitt pens, which come in a variety of colors and tips, work great
        over Neocolors II. RoseArt ColorSharp markers work pretty well,
        too. Some gel pens will work, but it's hit and miss, so you'd just
        have to try them and see. Sometimes, one pen out of a package will
        work well on a given surface, so it's not even consistent within one
        set of pens.

        I also fount that plain old pencil works well.

        > I also can't find a white ink pen that will write
        > over black paint. Does anyone have any suggestions?

        You could try white Prismacolor pencils. It's not ink, but they
        work pretty well over colored backgrounds.

        I've heard good things about white Uni-ball Signo gel pens and their
        ability to write over acrylic, but I haven't tried them.

        --
        Shelly
      • Tracey Kazimir-Cree
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 25, 2007
          Welcome to the group, Lisa!

          Uniball Signo white pen is the one I've fallen in love with for writing over dark colors. You have to write slowly though to keep the ink flowing smoothly. I also love the Sakura Souffle pens. Don't freak out if the ink coming out looks clear. It will dry white.

          As for other pens that write well over acrylic, I think somebody mentioned the Pitt pens by faber castell. I love these for everything because they are waterproof. The Uniball Vision Elite also works GREAT over paint and comes in a bunch of great colors.

          Tracey

          tracey kazimir-cree • fort collins, co

          Blog! www.sunshinefactory.net/blog
          Flickr photos! www.flickr.com/photos/traypup/
          Newly revamped website! www.sunshinefactory.net

          SunSpirit Studio Design Team Member
          www.sunspiritstudio.com
          Be sure to sign up for the mailing list and use the code TK when you do!