Re: [CompositionArtJournals] Ziploc Baggies as Mailing Vessels

  • Jackie White
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
      Thanks for taking the time to answer my question...it's such a great idea, and all the arty, colofrul stuff gets to be enjoyed by so many people while in transit.  I'll be mailing my stuff to you in a baggy, so that'll be a good test.....Jackie

      serendipity <serendipityartist@...> wrote:
      I used Ziploc Small storage bags because that's what I had...in retrospect, I would use freezer bags for the overseas stuff because they are sturdier.  I zipped them closed and then taped them shut with clear packing tape...just to be on the safe side.

      I didn't get any of them back in the mail...and no one has contacted me to say their was damaged in transit...so I'm assuming all is well.  (I hope I didn't just jinx myself because I'm sending another batch of stuff out in baggies tomorrow morning!!)

      Let me know how they work for you!

      Jackie White <jaxx66@sbcglobal. net> wrote:
      Hi...a quick question.  You mentioned mailing your art in baggies...just the regular smaller ones???  Is there a particular brand that travels better than another?  I'd like to try it......Jackie

      serendipity <serendipityartist@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Thanks for checking out the blog!

      I would love to see your work...send me your address and I'll add you.

      Seren

      Jackie White <jaxx66@sbcglobal. net> wrote:
      Hi...I've been a fan of your blog for awhile now and would like to join your mail art swap list.  I promise to send at least 10 people original mail art in 90 days, especially you.  This is such a great idea......Jackie Wight

      serendipityartist <serendipityartist@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      OK Friends!

      It's that time again. The collaborative journals are starting to
      come back and I have no more people on the waiting list; I just sent
      books out to the last three folks this afternoon!

      The work in incredible thus far!

      If you'd like to work in a collaborative journal, and can commit to
      keeping the book no longer than 15 days...please send me your address
      and I will start another list of people. If you've already worked in
      a book, but would like to do another one…send me your address. If
      you'd like to be the FIRST to work in a journal, that would be cool
      too...I'd like to get more journals out there.

      If you haven't seen the journals, please visit my blog:
      www.serendipityart. squarespace. com

      Sincerely,
      Serendipity

      If you'd like to join my mail art swap list, send your address and
      I'll add you. The new list will go out this weekend. Everyone on
      the list gets a copy of the list…I ask that you try to send at least
      10 people on the list some art (especially me) within 90 days (that's
      when I send out a new list). If you just want to swap some mail art
      with me…drop me something and I'll drop you something.

      Serendipity
      PO Box 3246
      Redondo Beach, CA 90277

      8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

    • Connie Saunders
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
        I have one of your journals at home (Number 7) but
        would love to do another one.

        Connie Saunders
        4116 Sherwood Terrace
        Sioux City, Iowa 51106

        chsaqunders55@...
        chsaunders@...

        Connie Hammond Saunders
        Sioux City, Iowa
        chsaunders55@...
        chsaunders@...

        "I am a part of all that I have read." --John Kieran

        Need Mail bonding?
      • Christy Wyrtzen
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007

          Christy
          Elbert Hubbard

          I must have missed the first email/post. What kind of art are you calling for?

           Christy

[...]

          Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
        • serendipity
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 5, 2007
            I'll add you to the list again and send you a book when more return.  I'll send something different this time.

            Seren

            Connie Saunders <chsaunders55@...> wrote:

            I have one of your journals at home (Number 7) but
            would love to do another one.

            Connie Saunders
            4116 Sherwood Terrace
            Sioux City, Iowa 51106

            chsaqunders55@ yahoo.com
            chsaunders@aol. com

            Connie Hammond Saunders
            Sioux City, Iowa
            chsaunders55@ yahoo.com
            chsaunders@aol. com

            "I am a part of all that I have read." --John Kieran

            Need Mail bonding?

            Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
            in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

          • serendipity
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 5, 2007
              I am hosting a collaborative art journal project.  I send out journals to artists and they work in the journals for 10 days and send them back to me.  The journal is photographed and sent out to the next person on the list once I upload the pics to my blog.  The plan is to show these books early next year (or when I have a reasonable number of full books).

              Some people write in the journals, some people create art, some people doodle...one person wrote music in the book...one person added photos and made a travel journal kinda thing about a trip they were on...some people have a crafty style -- like scrapbooking or card making.  I have no limits on the type of work you do as long as you don't mess with other peoples pages and you don't damage the book.

              If you'd like to work in a journal, send me your mailing address.  You can keep the book 15 days and I ask that you send it back to me with delivery confirmation.

              I would very much like to see your work and hope you will sign up!

              Seren

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                  I'd love to but to be honest with you, I'm not that reliable with swaps of that caliber. I'm better with ATCs then actual books.

                  Sorry

                  Christy

[...]

                  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                • serendipity
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 19, 2007
                    Several people have asked if I would host a collaborative journal project where people would end up with a book of their own.  I have been kicking it around and I like the idea very much.  So many of you have done incredible work in “my” books, it only makes sense that you’d want a book too.  So here’s the plan:
                    Each person needs a book.  I suggest the Border’s sewn bound, hardcover Sketch Book.  The pages are blank, but thick…and the size is awesome!  That is the journal of choice for me…though I have tried many, many, many!  Put your name and address in both the front and back cover…be sure whatever you use to do that is as permanent as possible.  You should have already worked in your book…no one should get a totally blank book…it’s not as fun that way and that’s why I asked that everyone work in their book for 15 days prior to signing up.
                    When your book is ready to go, send me an email saying you’re ready.  I will email you the list of artists in your group…and the fun will begin.  You will print out your list and send your book to the first person on the list along with 15 post cards addressed to you with postage.  Every time you mail a book out send the owner of the book a post card with the delivery confirmation number and information on when you mailed it and to whom you mailed it.  Each participant will keep the book for 15 days and then send it to the next person on the list, and so on and so on.  The last person on the list sends to the first person on the list.
                    So to clarify…when you mail your book this week the package should include the following items:
                    Your journal – and it should NOT be blank.  You should have 15 days worth of work in it…and have your name and mailing address on the front and back inside cover.  Please remember to put the book in a plastic baggie…we don’t want them getting wet/damp.
                    15 Self Addressed Post Cards – When each book is mailed out, the artist is to send a post card to the owner of the book with information on when the book was mailed – date, delivery confirmation number and any other update you’d like to give.
                    The art guidelines are simple…try to keep all work flat, be careful with wet techniques/adhesives, send the book to the name directly under yours on the list, always send the book with delivery confirmation and send the update post card the same day you mail the journal to the next artist.
                    Please note, I will not track these books.  I’m merely facilitating the connection between artists.  Here’s the information I need for each participant:
                    Name
                    Street Address
                    City, State, Zip Code
                    Email Address
                    Phone Number (yes…a phone number!)
                    US and Canadian participants will be on one list…international participants will have a separate list…unless you say you want to be on an internationally diverse list and are willing to pay the additional postage to send to someone overseas.  If books are not being received, please feel free to notify me…but I can’t do much more than to try to make sure that person isn’t placed on another list.
                    My book is ready to go…so I’m now just waiting for some artists to sign up!

                    http://mail.yahoo.com