Re: [CompositionArtJournals] Movies about Journaling and Drawing

  • Shelly
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
      ninon_franco wrote:
      > With summer here, I'm finding myself drawn more to movies about
      > journaling, writing and drawing. Here are some I've seen so far. If
      > you have a recommendation, please I would love to hear from you. I
      > love movies:

      Spider (Ralph Fiennes), about a mentally ill man. He keeps a
      journal of "secrets."

      --
      Shelly
    • Janice Brown
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
        Great Expectations ... the modern version of Dickens classic is visually gorgeous with a wonderful soundtrack - set on the Florida Gulf Coast with Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow. Anne Bancroft plays the eccentric Mrs. Dinsmore. His sketchbook is a central feature. and a very spooky Robert DeNiro

        Prospero's Book - a dramatic fantasy ... another Greenaway film of great beauty, starring Sir John Guilgud and based on Shakespeare's The Tempest
        played out in dance and words; all the dialog is spoken by Sir John throughout the film. The 'books' form the central plot, Prospero's magic depending on them.

        These two films and the one you mentioned, Greenaway's The Pillow Book are worth watching again and again.

        Janice

        ps ... also Ruby in Paradise, a character study with Ashley Judd. Trying to find herself and writing in her journal

        All new Yahoo! Mail
      • ninon_franco
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
          Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll add them to my list. Last
          night I just watched "Frida". I was knee deep in my Master's degree
          studies when it first came out and I never saw it. Also I saw "The
          Virgin Suicides"- very haunting. One of the Lisbon sisters keep a
          journal. I read the book, but I saw the movie again. There is
          something very visceral about Sofia Coppola's films.