Movies about Journaling and Drawing

  • ninon_franco
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2007
      With summer here, I'm finding myself drawn more to movies about
      journaling, writing and drawing. Here are some I've seen so far. If
      you have a recommendation, please I would love to hear from you. I
      love movies:

      "The Draughtman's Contract": In William and Mary's England, a
      Draughtman is hired to sketch an English estate with secrets and a
      deadly mystery.

      "The Pillow Book": Every birthday since childhood, Nagiko's father
      writes a birthday message on her face. Now a grown woman, Nagiko
      searches for the perfect man who is a great lover and a great
      calligrapher. Ewan McGregor appears in a pre-Star Wars role.

      "Henry and June": Explores the relationship between Anais Nin, her
      husband Hugo, writer Henry Miller and his wife June.

      "Like Water for Chocolate": A woman narrates a story from a journal of
      receipes and family history that mixes romance and magical realism. A
      great adaptation from the book.

      "Seven": Not the movie, but the DVD featurette about John Doe's
      journals. The men behind the journals tell what inspired the pages and
      some of the materials used to create them. The cost to create the
      journals seen in the movie: $15,000.
    • Shelly
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
        ninon_franco wrote:
        > With summer here, I'm finding myself drawn more to movies about
        > journaling, writing and drawing. Here are some I've seen so far. If
        > you have a recommendation, please I would love to hear from you. I
        > love movies:

        Spider (Ralph Fiennes), about a mentally ill man. He keeps a
        journal of "secrets."

        --
        Shelly
      • Janice Brown
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
          Great Expectations ... the modern version of Dickens classic is visually gorgeous with a wonderful soundtrack - set on the Florida Gulf Coast with Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow. Anne Bancroft plays the eccentric Mrs. Dinsmore. His sketchbook is a central feature. and a very spooky Robert DeNiro

          Prospero's Book - a dramatic fantasy ... another Greenaway film of great beauty, starring Sir John Guilgud and based on Shakespeare's The Tempest
          played out in dance and words; all the dialog is spoken by Sir John throughout the film. The 'books' form the central plot, Prospero's magic depending on them.

          These two films and the one you mentioned, Greenaway's The Pillow Book are worth watching again and again.

          Janice

          ps ... also Ruby in Paradise, a character study with Ashley Judd. Trying to find herself and writing in her journal

          All new Yahoo! Mail
        • ninon_franco
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
            Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll add them to my list. Last
            night I just watched "Frida". I was knee deep in my Master's degree
            studies when it first came out and I never saw it. Also I saw "The
            Virgin Suicides"- very haunting. One of the Lisbon sisters keep a
            journal. I read the book, but I saw the movie again. There is
            something very visceral about Sofia Coppola's films.