Re: Coming out of lurkdom with a question.

  • Jeanine
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
      Thank you Shelly.

      What I liked about doing it this way is that the color didn't go
      through the paper like watercolor has done for me.

      Jeanine

      --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Shelly <scouvrette@...>
      wrote:

      > Jeanine wrote:
      > > I wanted more color on my journal pages than I get with watercolor. So
      > > I made a mix of acrylic paint, gesso and water. It gave me the depth
      > > of color that I wanted yet (if this makes sense) it is light enough
      > > that I can faintly see the lines if I wish to write on the lines. Now
      > > I am wondering as this dries and I try to use it will the paint crack?
      > > I don't think it is thick enough but I am still a "toddler" at all of
      >
      > Very unlikely, unless you slathered it on with a knife. If you can
      > see the lines faintly, then the paint layer should be *more* than
      > thin enough to stand up to the pages being turned.
      >
      > Acrylic paint and acrylic gesso are actually made of a polymer that
      > is pretty tough and flexible. But, if you're worried about
      > cracking, what you can do is coat a sheet of looseleaf notebook
      > paper with your paint mixture, let it dry, then wad it up and see
      > what happens.
      >
      > --
      > Shelly
      > http://www.cat-sidh.net (the Mother Ship)
      > http://esther.cat-sidh.net (Letters to Esther)

    • Eliece Edge
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2007

        The medium that I use most often on my journal pages is craft acrylics straight out of the bottle. I rarely dilute it with water, except when I use a slightly wet brush. I can often see the lines slightly through the paint, depending on the color used. I’ve never had the paint crack. I seldom use gesso. I’m curious as to why you mixed acrylic, gesso and water. Were you perhaps using expensive tube acrylics and trying to extend them? If that’s the case, then I’d suggest trying the cheap craft acrylics. They already contain fillers. That’s why I like them so much for backgrounds. My daughter gave me a set of tube acrylics for Christmas, but it just seems wasteful to me to use them to paint journal pages in composition notebooks, not to mention more time consuming. I just squirt my craft acrylics right on the page, swipe them around with a 1” wide brush, and am done in less than a minute. No fiddling around with mixing first. Most of the time, I squirt on 2 or 3 colors and then brush them out. I encourage you to give this a try. You might find it helpful to look in Files for “Painting Backgrounds” and then read the text file called “Ideas for Painting Backgrounds” (it’s the 4th one down…the others are sample pages that illustrate particular techniques.) I posted this awhile ago, but since we’re getting new members all the time, some of you might not know about it, and maybe you’ll find it helpful. I hope so!

        Eliece

        http://by-my-hand.blogspot.com/

        http://inkyhands.blogspot.com/

        Subject: [CompositionArtJournals] Coming out of lurkdom with a question.

        I wanted more color on my journal pages than I get with watercolor. So
        I made a mix of acrylic paint, gesso and water. It gave me the depth
        of color that I wanted yet (if this makes sense) it is light enough
        that I can faintly see the lines if I wish to write on the lines. Now
        I am wondering as this dries and I try to use it will the paint crack?
        I don't think it is thick enough but I am still a "toddler" at all of
        this.

        Thank you

        Jeanine