Re: page painting prep

  • DEB & STEVE MOORE
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
      That is a great idea.  I always get paint every where and am going to give this a try.

      Deb from PA
    • Eliece Edge
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006

        Hi Jill and All,

        Great minds do think alike! LOL  Two or three years ago, someone on one of my art groups (I think it was on the Yahoo Altered Books site) suggested cutting a slit in a Saran Disposable Cutting Sheet to pull your spread through. One of these sheets wasn’t large enough by itself to work with the composition notebooks, so I taped two of them together. I laid them side by side, but about ¼” apart and taped the top and bottom edges together with masking tape, leaving a slit that is maybe ½” longer than the pages to give enough wiggle-room to pull them through the slit. I then flipped it over and taped in the same spots on the back side to reinforce. These sheets feel like parchment paper on one side and are plastic on the other side, so they will hold up for a very long time. They will eventually wear out, and when I wasn’t able to find them in the store any longer, I experimented with ways to make something similar. At first, I just taped two pieces of freezer wrap together, but felt that was too flimsy. Then I tried cutting a file folder in half and taping the two halves together. I didn’t like the fact that the stiffness wouldn’t allow my spread to lay completely flat. I wanted the part that forms the slit to be thin, flexible, and waterproof. So I placed one piece of the file folder on my kitchen counter and ran a piece of 2” wide packing tape down the length of it, with 1” of the tape on the folder and the other inch on the counter. Gently pull it loose from the counter, flip it over, and run an identical piece of tape to cover the sticky side of the first piece of tape. Repeat with the other half of the file folder. Place them side by side with the packing tape edges about ¼” to ½” apart. Tape the tops and bottoms as previously described. You could also use 2 transparencies, although those aren’t quite long enough to suit me. If you have access to a school with a laminating machine, you can probably get some of the off-cuts that are just wasted at the beginning of each laminating job.

        I have been thinking that it would be helpful to put some of our hints in the Files section instead of answering the same questions over and over again when new people join the group. This is what is done on the Altered Books group, and there is a world of information there for anyone who wants to take the time to look. So I took my own advice and created a folder called “Protecting Underneath Pages”. So far, I’ve put two files in this folder. One is a picture of a page protector that I made from a file folder and packing tape. The black area in the middle is just what I placed it on to take the photo, and it shows through the clear packing tape. The text file describes how this particular page protector was made. I don’t know why the text strings itself out instead of wrapping nicely. If anyone can tell me how to fix this, I will be so grateful. It is so annoying to have to scroll back and forth to try and read it.

        I have one other text file to add to this folder, but I’m going to wait until someone can advise me about the long lines. Also, I think it would be great to add Jill’s photos and descriptions to this folder. In the future, new people wouldn’t know to look at her blog for a solution to this problem. Assuming that’s o.k. with you, Jill, how would we go about doing that? I think I’m the only one who can add to this folder since I created it, but maybe Dawn can as moderator. Or I guess Jill could send me an email with photos attached which I could then upload.

        Hugs,

        Eliece

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
          sounds great to me. i'm at work tonight and those pix are stored on home computer. i'll send them to you tomorrow from there and you can post them in the folder. it's amazing how much difference a little thing like that can make, but i have painted TONS of pages this week w/ plenty of ease and very little mess.

          jill