Margie re The Zahir

  • Janice Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2006
      Margie - the novel is set in Paris and central Asia ... from the first page:
      "the idea of the Zhir comes from Islamic tradition and is though to have arisen at some point in the eighteenth century. Zahir in Arabic, means visible, present, incapable of going unnoticed ... someone or something that occupies our every thought"

      Author is Paulo Coelho and was translated from the Portuguese.

      don't know whether I'll be doing any entries in my diary for awhile; but I usually keep some notes as I read so I can recall it later.

      The Mermaid's Chair, I thought, was right up there with Secret Life

      bye for now
      Janice

    • Marjorie
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Janice Brown
        <ariadnebrown@...> wrote:

        > Margie - the novel is set in Paris and central Asia ... from the
        first page:
        > "the idea of the Zhir comes from Islamic tradition and is though to
        have arisen at some point in the eighteenth century. Zahir in Arabic,
        means visible, present, incapable of going unnoticed ... someone or
        something that occupies our every thought"

        > Author is Paulo Coelho and was translated from the Portuguese.
        >
        > don't know whether I'll be doing any entries in my diary for
        awhile; but I usually keep some notes as I read so I can recall it
        later.

        > The Mermaid's Chair, I thought, was right up there with Secret Life
        >
        > bye for now
        > Janice

        Thank you, Janice; I'll put this on my "to read" list. In the
        meantime, I'll look for your critique.
        Also, I'll look into The Mermaid's Chair. Thanks for the reference.
        Margie