It's been SO LONG

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 15, 2006
      Since I have posted here. I just dragged out my journal so I can start
      writing again. Too many things have been going on and I really need to
      get back into writing it down.

      I do have a question. I have water colored my pages in my journal and I
      am having a hard time finding something that will write on them now.
      Any suggestions? Kinds of pens, ink? I thought for sure I would be done
      with journal and ready for a new one but I still have a lot of pages
      left. How do some of you do your back grounds? I want it to be
      colorful!! :-)

      Kathy J IN Md.
    • Shelly
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 15, 2006
        On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:03:20 -0000, "Kathy" <kathleen@...> wrote:

        >I do have a question. I have water colored my pages in my journal and I
        >am having a hard time finding something that will write on them now.
        >Any suggestions? Kinds of pens, ink? I thought for sure I would be done
        >with journal and ready for a new one but I still have a lot of pages
        >left. How do some of you do your back grounds? I want it to be
        >colorful!! :-)

        Are you using regular watercolors, or water-soluble crayons, or what?
        What have pens have you tried?

        I've had good luck with Faber-Castell Pitt pens. Some of the Zig pens
        are good, too. How about colored pencils? I believe Dawn has said she
        often uses a plain old Bic ballpoint pen over acrylic, so I would think
        that would work over watercolor. I'm currently really enjoying using
        Zebra's Sarasa retractable gel pens, which are archival, come in nice
        solid colors, and have a good writing quality. Another favorite of mine
        is a plain old dip pen and India ink.

        I put together some mini-reviews of the pens I use the most:
        http://cat-sidh.net/Tutorials/pens.html

        --
        Shelly

        Tell no one what you are about too see. It should never have been
        attempted by humans in the first place.
        -- Melora Creager
      • Tracey Kazimir-Cree
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 15, 2006
          Hi Kathy,

          I tend to go to my millions of different colored Sharpies (it's an addiction) most of the time. I find they write just fine over watercolored pages, although they get a little sketchy on acrylic-painted pages. The lone page in my folder in Photos was Sharpies over a page painted with watercolor crayon.

          Tracey

          tracey kazimir-cree
          the enchanted stamper
          fort collins, co

          See my Flickr photos - it's where I dump random art, swaps and everyday things that catch my eye.

          On Jul 15, 2006, at 9:03 AM, Kathy wrote:

          Since I have posted here. I just dragged out my journal so I can start
          writing again. Too many things have been going on and I really need to
          get back into writing it down.

          I do have a question. I have water colored my pages in my journal and I
          am having a hard time finding something that will write on them now.
          Any suggestions? Kinds of pens, ink? I thought for sure I would be done
          with journal and ready for a new one but I still have a lot of pages
          left. How do some of you do your back grounds? I want it to be
          colorful!! :-)

          Kathy J IN Md.

          _,___

        • Tamera
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 15, 2006
            I have this problem when I use water soulable crayons for watercolor.
            Usually its because the crayon hasn't dissolved as far as it can. You
            could try using a little more water and moving the pigment around more, or,
            if you like what your page looks like as is, you can try a blast of workable
            fixative. I also use PITT pens--they're the best. You can write with them
            first and then watercolor, too.

            > I do have a question. I have water colored my pages in my journal and I
            > am having a hard time finding something that will write on them now.
            > Any suggestions? Kinds of pens, ink? I thought for sure I would be done
            > with journal and ready for a new one but I still have a lot of pages
            > left. How do some of you do your back grounds? I want it to be
            > colorful!! :-)
            >

            > Kathy J IN Md.

          • Marjorie
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 15, 2006
              --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Shelly <shelly@...>
              wrote:

              > On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:03:20 -0000, "Kathy" <kathleen@...> wrote:
              >
              > >I do have a question. I have water colored my pages in my journal
              and I
              > >am having a hard time finding something that will write on them
              now.
              > >Any suggestions? Kinds of pens, ink? I thought for sure I would be
              done
              > >with journal and ready for a new one but I still have a lot of
              pages
              > >left. How do some of you do your back grounds? I want it to be
              > >colorful!! :-)
              >
              > Are you using regular watercolors, or water-soluble crayons, or
              what?
              > What have pens have you tried?
              >
              > I've had good luck with Faber-Castell Pitt pens. Some of the Zig
              pens
              > are good, too. How about colored pencils? I believe Dawn has said
              she
              > often uses a plain old Bic ballpoint pen over acrylic, so I would
              think
              > that would work over watercolor. I'm currently really enjoying
              using
              > Zebra's Sarasa retractable gel pens, which are archival, come in
              nice
              > solid colors, and have a good writing quality. Another favorite of
              mine
              > is a plain old dip pen and India ink.
              >
              > I put together some mini-reviews of the pens I use the most:
              > http://cat-sidh.net/Tutorials/pens.html
              >
              > --
              > Shelly
              > http://www.cat-sidh.net (the Mother Ship)
              > http://esther.cat-sidh.net (Letters to Esther)
              >
              > Tell no one what you are about too see. It should never have been
              > attempted by humans in the first place.
              > -- Melora Creager

              Shelly - thanks much for the great tutorial on pens; is that also in
              some files somewhere, waiting for someone to add to??
              Margie
            • paulateach@cox.net
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 16, 2006
                There is a brand of pen available at Staples,and most likely elsewhere called uni-ball vision elite. It comes in black and colors and I love it. It's cheap and it writes on Acrylics without fail. It writes on everything I've tried so far!
                Paula B

              • Gay Furgason
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 16, 2006
                  Help! My Sharpies bleed through . My pages are even prepped with an
                  acrylic wash.
                  Gay
                • Vickie Enkoff
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 17, 2006

                    Have you tried gesso?  You can get it at most art supply stores, Walmart, and online at Dick Blick and others.

                    Vickie aka Chaosposte

                  • Gay Furgason
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 17, 2006
                      I have ordered some gesso from Cheap Joe's Art Stuff and am waiting on
                      it to arrive.Does everone gesso their pages? Also how many pages in the
                      comp books do you take out so it will close?
                      Thanks
                      Gay
                    • shelly
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 18, 2006
                        Gay Furgason wrote:
                        > I have ordered some gesso from Cheap Joe's Art Stuff and am waiting on
                        > it to arrive.Does everone gesso their pages?

                        Gesso is good for some things, but I definitely wouldn't use it on
                        all my journal pages. Have you worked with it before? It leaves a
                        gritty, chalky surface that can be difficult to write on. Also, it
                        is unnecessary if you're going to coat the page with watercolor or
                        acrylic paint, but you may find that you like the way it looks.
                        It's a good idea to use it to prime the page before working with
                        oils, oil pastels or anything corrosive, like solvent-based markers,
                        though using it will affect how they look. Basically, there's no
                        substitute for experimentation. Try different things and keep what
                        works for you and toss what doesn't.

                        Personally, I only use it in my journals for aesthetic reasons--when
                        I specifically *want* something white and chalky and gritty. Or, I
                        dilute it with water and use it to mute underlying colors (this
                        shouldn't be done over oil-based media, however).

                        examples:
                        http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-894
                        http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3
                        http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-9
                        http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-272
                        http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1035

                        > Also how many pages in the
                        > comp books do you take out so it will close?

                        I've had to remove pages from the comp books I've used for
                        gluebooks, but not the ones I use for regular journaling. At least,
                        not systematically. I've torn out the odd page, but that's all.

                        --
                        Shelly
                      • shelly
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 18, 2006
                          Gay Furgason wrote:
                          > Help! My Sharpies bleed through . My pages are even prepped with an
                          > acrylic wash.

                          That, alas, is the nature of Sharpies. I know I sound like a broken
                          record, but how about trying Faber-Castell Pitt pens? They come in
                          brush tip, which is more flexible than Sharpies, but provides a
                          nice, thick, dark line, if that's what you're looking for.

                          If Sharpies are really what you want to use, you'll have to apply
                          more than just an acrylic wash. The paint will need to be thicker
                          to keep the marker from bleeding through. This would be a good
                          place to try that gesso you ordered. :)

                          --
                          Shelly
                        • Eliece Edge
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 18, 2006

                            I almost never gesso pages, except when I use black gesso (LOVE that stuff!)

                            I also don’t like the stubs that are left when I cut out pages. I think it makes the next page difficult to turn and lay down right. What I do instead is remove the entire folded sheet that makes up two pages. Do this before painting any of your pages, or you may lose one you didn’t intend to remove. Find the very middle of your compo book where you can see the stitching threads. Count so many pages toward the back and tear it out as close to the gutter as you can. Then go back to the middle of the book and count the same number of pages toward the front of the book and pull/tear that corresponding page loose. Continue in this manner until the book is as thin as you want. This will allow your book to close flatter than when you leave stubs. The number of pages you remove is dependent on how much stuff you glue to the pages. I’ve just posted a picture in my file under “Thickness” that compares one of my finished journals with a brand new compo book that has nothing in it. I did not remove any pages from either the finished journal or the new one. Most of the spreads in my finished journal have a picture glued down, but you can see how nice and flat it lies compared to altered books for example. http://makeashorterlink.com/?S2A652D6D This is why I love the composition notebooks. You can see the inside pages of this journal here: http://inkyhands.blogspot.com/

                            I’ve started several compo journals that I’m working in simultaneously now. One is called “Tips and Techniques” where I’m writing hints and trying out stuff. Another is “Journaling Thoughts” where I’m recording quotes from several books that I’ve read about journaling and diary keeping, as well as prompts. Another one is where I record info about my health, and then the last one I call “Keep It In Mind” which is a record of my daily life.

                            Hope all of you are staying cool,

                            Eliece

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 18, 2006

                              Shelly,

                              I love your “Reissue and Extension” page. So lovely!

                              It’s in the last thumbnail under “Amulet” here:
                              http://cat-sidh. net/gallery/ displayimage. php?pos=- 1035

                              for anyone else who might wonder what I’m referring to.

                              Eliece

                            • emhowl
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 18, 2006
                                Hi Eliece

                                The link to the thicknesses page wouldn't work for me. I agree about
                                the method of reducing the thickness. I wish we got composition books
                                like yours in the UK!

                                Elizabeth
                              • Eliece Edge
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 18, 2006

                                  Hi Elizabeth,

                                  It didn’t work for me either until I hit the “Refresh” button. If that still doesn’t work, just go to the Files, Eliece’s Pages, and Thickness.

                                  Eliece

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 18, 2006
                                    I am not stuck on sharpies. I live in a small town and the nearest store
                                    is Wal-mart, except for the Dollar General. I saw the sharpies and
                                    thought I would try them. I would like to get the Faber Castell Pitt
                                    Pens, I have a Dick Blic catalog and several other art supply catalogs.
                                    I just have to save up some money. I did notice they didn't bleed
                                    (sharpies) on the one page I had the paint pretty thick. The only time I
                                    have used gesso is when I coated some tissue paper and then added
                                    acrylics over that. It made a pretty neat decorative paper. Thank you
                                    for all the information
                                    Gay
                                  • emhowl
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 19, 2006
                                      Thanks Eliece

                                      Refresh still didn't work but of course the Files did.

                                      Elizabeth
                                    • shelly
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 19, 2006
                                        Eliece Edge wrote:
                                        > I almost never gesso pages, except when I use black gesso (LOVE that
                                        > stuff!)

                                        Oh yeah. Black gesso is *all* kinds of fun, especially when you use
                                        it under oil pastels.

                                        > I also don’t like the stubs that are left when I cut out pages. I think
                                        > it makes the next page difficult to turn and lay down right. What I do
                                        > instead is remove the entire folded sheet that makes up two pages.

                                        Exactly. The other thing I do, if I didn't have the foresight to
                                        remove the opposite page before arting on it, is to tear out the
                                        page and just leave the stub hanging free. It isn't pretty (unless
                                        you decorate it somehow), but it also doesn't make the pages get
                                        bound up the way it would if it were glued down.

                                        --
                                        Shelly
                                      • shelly
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 19, 2006
                                          Eliece Edge wrote:
                                          > Shelly,
                                          >
                                          > I love your “Reissue and Extension” page. So lovely!
                                          >
                                          > It’s in the last thumbnail under “Amulet” here:
                                          > http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1035
                                          > <http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1035>
                                          >
                                          > for anyone else who might wonder what I’m referring to.

                                          Thank you! That was actually a little throw-away collage that
                                          turned out way better than I thought it would. It's not in a
                                          journal--it's an itty bitty free-standing collage--but the elements
                                          and flower pounding technique are things that can easily be used in
                                          comp journals.

                                          Flower pounding in comp journal:
                                          http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-112

                                          Also, a larger version of Reissue and Extension is here (and, if you
                                          click on it, it launches the full sized version):
                                          http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1029

                                          --
                                          Shelly
                                        • Ron and Linda Cameron
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 19, 2006
                                            I often use my stubs to put in tickets, postcards, tags, things that I don't want to glue onto the page. Works great!

                                            Linda
                                            **************
                                            aka  LINDART

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 19, 2006
                                              Gay Furgason wrote:
                                              > I am not stuck on sharpies. I live in a small town and the nearest store
                                              > is Wal-mart, except for the Dollar General.

                                              I feel your pain. I'm in a tiny town, too, so I can understand the
                                              lack of options. As much as I dislike shopping at Walmart, they
                                              *do* have some good pens in their craft section. Pretty much
                                              anything marketed to scrapbookers will be safe. Some of the Zig
                                              brand markers work quite well, and will not bleed. In fact, the ink
                                              in Zig markers stands up on top of the paper. You can see what I
                                              mean in this example, if you look at the top flourish on the A.

                                              http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/A.jpg

                                              > I saw the sharpies and thought I would try them.

                                              And why not? They're cheap and you can find them *everywhere*.
                                              They've definitely got their uses, but if they aren't working for
                                              you, then there is probably a tool that will.

                                              > I would like to get the Faber Castell Pitt
                                              > Pens, I have a Dick Blic catalog and several other art supply catalogs.
                                              > I just have to save up some money.

                                              If you're on a budget (and who isn't?!) then if/when you *do* order
                                              some Pitt pens I'd recommend picking up a package of black that has
                                              a variety of types of tips in it. I believe they have a set of 5
                                              that has super fine, fine, medium, and two brush tip for under $10.

                                              > The only time I
                                              > have used gesso is when I coated some tissue paper and then added
                                              > acrylics over that. It made a pretty neat decorative paper.

                                              That's one of my favorite ways to add texture to paintings. You can
                                              do the same thing with acrylic medium, if you want a transparent ground.

                                              --
                                              Shelly
                                            • Marjorie
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 19, 2006
                                                --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Eliece Edge"
                                                <eedge@...> wrote:

                                                > Shelly,
                                                >
                                                > I love your "Reissue and Extension" page. So lovely!
                                                >
                                                > It's in the last thumbnail under "Amulet" here:
                                                > http://cat-sidh. <http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-
                                                1035>
                                                > net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1035
                                                >
                                                > for anyone else who might wonder what I'm referring to.
                                                >
                                                > Eliece

                                                Thanks, Eliece, for making that so easy!
                                                I agree; that is a lovely--very artful--piece.
                                                Cat, TFS your work. I must go back and wander around again soon.

                                                Appreciations to you both,
                                                Margie
                                              • Marjorie
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 19, 2006
                                                  <eedge@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hi Elizabeth,
                                                  >

                                                  > It didn't work for me either until I hit the "Refresh" button. If
                                                  that still
                                                  > doesn't work, just go to the Files, Eliece's Pages, and Thickness.
                                                  >

                                                  > Eliece
                                                  >
                                                  > Ditto to all the above....I'll go back and try the Refresh button.
                                                  Thanks.
                                                  Margie

                                                  > _____

                                                • Gay Furgason
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 19, 2006
                                                    Thank you so much Eliece for the info. I couldn't get the first link to
                                                    work but I got your blog. I love your blog and work. I have looked
                                                    around the net at different blogs and found some great looking art, but
                                                    when I started looking here once I joined this group, i found the work
                                                    of everone is so amazing. So many great artists. I love the blogs! For
                                                    so long I have wanted to learn how to manipulate paint to get the
                                                    different effects I appreciate everyones help. I have looked at you file
                                                    in the group pages.
                                                    Thanks
                                                    Gay
                                                  • shelly
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 20, 2006
                                                      Marjorie wrote:

                                                      > Cat, TFS your work. I must go back and wander around again soon.

                                                      Thank you!

                                                      --
                                                      Shelly