Re: Calendar Pages

  • theuzzels
    Message 1 of 42 , Jun 16, 2006
      Yes, Kathleen, I use Post-Its to make a mask for the squares. I have a stack of them all
      covered in ink and paint. Most of them aren't very sticky anymore, but I still use them. I
      started out using a sponge, foam ball, rubber stamp, or even bubble wrap to make the
      back grounds, now I paint the around spaces with watercolors.

      I have enjoyed seeing them evolve. I didn't notice it quite as much until I made the flickr
      set. It's a timeline of sorts for me. The calendar I made for this July takes another big leap
      in the way it looks. When I counted out the Post-it squares, I didn't bother to straighten
      them. I just painted around them where they were. I also painted the whole background
      bright yellow.

      My children really love to look my journals, much more than the formal scrapbooks I've
      made for them in all their acid-free splendor. They see stickers from their spelling tests
      and clothing, silly candid I-zone photos, and written records of what we were doing
      several years earlier. My 10-year-old son even gives me things to include. My 3-year-old
      daughter has a journal of her own in a composition book. She includes a lot of the same
      things I do. I write down what she tells me. Without them we would have forgotten a lot
      of unimportant, but funny things, like her dream about the clown who took her ice cream.

      Tracy U.
      http://flickr.com/photos/tracyu/

      --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Kathleen Pharis <anniek1952@...>
      wrote:

      > I LOVE this idea - do you use Post-its for the uniform size for each day? I noticed that
      your earlier months were not as highly embellished as the more recent ones - isn't it fun
      to realize and SEE that our art evolves as we grow as human beings?

      > thanks
      > Kathleen
      >
      > theuzzels <uzzel@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I am celebrating 5 years of keeping a illustrated journal. Things have changed a lot for
      me in
      > the last 5 years: 9/11, the birth of my now 3 year old daughter, a new home...
      >
      > In my journals I make a calendar page for each month and decorate the calendar
      throughout
      > that month. I made a flickr set of these calendar pages at:
      >
      > http://flickr.com/photos/tracyu/
      >
      > Between the monthly calendars my journals contain drawings, recipes, lists, rants,
      photos,
      > reflections, goals, ideas...almost anything that comes along. The calendars make a great
      > timeline for me.
      >
      > Tracy U.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Dawn Smith
      Message 42 of 42 , Oct 3, 2007
        Yikes! I really do know how to spell calendar, unlike the subject line for my previous post.