Re: [CompositionArtJournals] Re: Shelly....art journal

  • shelly
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 28, 2006
      Valerie wrote:
      > Hey Shelly, I played around with my pictures in file with
      > paintbrush since my photo editor would not "stitch". I really
      > appreciate how you describe what you did not the pages of your
      > album. this is invaluable to me.

      i'm happy to help! were you able to get the two halves of the
      spread together in one file?

      > on the pages letters to Esther
      > page and happy I found and finished the sky How did you do your
      > background?

      the background for Happy I Found was done with cheap craft acrylics.
      i spread the paint really thinly with a credit card, then
      immediately "washed" all the excess off with a baby wipe.

      for Letters to Esther, I again spread cheap craft acrylics with a
      credit card, but i didn't wash off the paint. i just let it dry as
      is. if you look closely, it's uneven and you can see some of the
      marks where the credit card squeegeed the paint. i used a tissue to
      rub some metallic silver paint around the edges, for a border. then
      i stamped over the silver with blue acrylic paint, using a stamp i
      cut from an eraser with an Xacto knife. it wasn't as complicated as
      it sounds. actually, that page has so much layering because i
      couldn't stand the way it originally looked. if i recall correctly,
      there's a layer of dark blue under the wine-colored background.

      > how did you get your writing to "show up" I need some basics.

      do you mean how did i get it to show up against the dark paint? in
      the first one, i just used black ink (Faber-Castell Pitt pens have
      nice, rich pigment). in the second one, i used a light colored gel pen.

      or did you mean how do you enhance the contrast in your photo editor
      to make the writing show up better? in most programs, you can tweak
      the contrast under the Edit menu, or the Image or Tools menu. you
      can play around with lightening it, darkening it, or upping the
      contrast. or, you can do a combination of things. i'm not familiar
      with Paintbrush, so i'm not sure exactly what it can do. i imagine
      it has similar capabilities, though.

      one other thing i've noticed, is that it helps to scan at a higher
      resolution (i usually use 300dpi at 100% original size), then lower
      the resolution to 72dpi in your photo editing program. the end
      result ends up being clearer and nicer looking than if you
      originally scan the image at 72dpi. also, i keep the high
      resolution files archived, so that if i want to print them or use
      them at a later date, i don't have to rescan them. after i upload
      the low res files to Flickr or my website or wherever, i discard them.

      --
      shelly
      http://www.cat-sidh.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
        Shelly thank you for taking the time to give me all of this info. I
        was wondering about the credit card thing. I questioned why my
        pages are thick and toooooo side of the barn painted look. I am
        still trying to figure out how to stitch my pages together. My last
        frustrating attempt is in my blog if you want to see it LOL it is so
        small I do not think you can see it...microscopic as it is.
        Thank you again
        Valerie
        http://standnngrace.blogspot.com/
        --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, shelly <shelly@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > can play around with lightening it, darkening it, or upping the
        > contrast. or, you can do a combination of things. i'm not
        familiar
        > with Paintbrush, so i'm not sure exactly what it can do. i
        imagine
        > it has similar capabilities, though.
        >
        > one other thing i've noticed, is that it helps to scan at a higher
        > resolution (i usually use 300dpi at 100% original size), then
        lower
        > the resolution to 72dpi in your photo editing program. the end
        > result ends up being clearer and nicer looking than if you
        > originally scan the image at 72dpi. also, i keep the high
        > resolution files archived, so that if i want to print them or use
        > them at a later date, i don't have to rescan them. after i upload
        > the low res files to Flickr or my website or wherever, i discard

      • shelly
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
          Valerie wrote:
          > Shelly thank you for taking the time to give me all of this info. I
          > was wondering about the credit card thing.

          some people are able to get a lighter application using a credit
          card than i can. mine CC backgrounds are pretty opaque. the paper
          gets a thick, almost leathery, texture if it's squeegeed on both
          sides. sometimes, that's okay. other times, i hate it, and go back
          over it with a light wash of contrasting metallic, which i burnish
          with a dry paper towel. that leaves a super thin film of
          pearlescent color on top, making the whole thing look more lively.
          another thing i do, when i've made an clunky, ugly mess, is to just
          keep piling on paint until i get something that doesn't horrify me.
          :) one of my oils instructors used to tell us "it's all
          underpaint." that's valuable advice, i think, because it got me
          into the mindset that nothing is beyond salvaging.

          > I questioned why my
          > pages are thick and toooooo side of the barn painted look.

          if you're feeling that the paint is too thick and clunky looking,
          you can water it down or use a baby wipe to wash away the bulk of
          it. another thing you might enjoy is using water soluble crayons.
          Portfolio (made by Crayola) are fairly cheap, if you aren't familiar
          with them and want to give them a try. the color is pretty intense,
          so you can get a lot of pigment onto the page without it looking
          like you spackled it.

          i'm also a big fan of finger painting. i just can't keep my hands
          out of the paint (one of the reasons i absolutely cannot get the
          hang of watercolors!). i love smooshing acrylics around on my
          journal pages. just the act itself is kinda therapeutic.

          hmmm. another thing you could try is adding acrylic medium to your
          paint (or, rather, add a little paint to some medium). that might
          visually lighten it a bit.

          > I am
          > still trying to figure out how to stitch my pages together. My last
          > frustrating attempt is in my blog if you want to see it LOL it is so
          > small I do not think you can see it...microscopic as it is.
          > Thank you again

          it looks like you've got the basics down. the only other thing i
          would recommend, to make it look more polished, is to crop away the
          extra bits at the top and bottom.

          your watercolors are beautiful, by the way! the mosaic tree
          painting reminds me a bit of some of the Shaker gift drawings. very
          nice!

          --
          shelly
          http://www.cat-sidh.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
            In a message dated 3/2/2006 6:57:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, shelly@... writes:
            it looks like you've got the basics down.  the only other thing i
            would recommend, to make it look more polished, is to crop away the
            extra bits at the top and bottom.

            your watercolors are beautiful, by the way!  the mosaic tree
            painting reminds me a bit of some of the Shaker gift drawings.  very
            nice!
            Amen to all the above, Valerie.  I just went to your blog and really am impressed with your work and your philosophy.  I haven't learned to stitch (or most other computer things, either), but it looks to me like you got it!  TFS.
            Hugs,
            Margie
          • Gail
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
              Valerie - I enjoyed viewing the art on your blog. The watercolors are
              lovely and I do like the ATCs. Gail
            • Valerie
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
                Shelly thank you again for all of the help. My husband just got home
                from out of town. while he was gone I painted and scraped and
                fingered up a ...lot of pages... ( you are right it is theraputic!) I
                started a round robin and my friend did a page for me and returned it
                tonight. I am very much enjoying this.
                thank you for the kind words regarding my water colors I am just
                learning.
                Oh I also made ten atcs..........
                Do you ever use the powders..I am not having much success with them..
                I added some to paint and it just got lost .... I put some in gel
                medium....hmmm
                I wanted to suggest liquid watercolors especially the metallics. they
                worked wonders dripped on an acrylic painted page. I brushed some over
                a page to tint it a bit worked well. I am going to try dipping the
                portfolio crayons into the liquid watercolors tommorrow. Sorry for
                going on and on I am having fun withthis
                thanks
                Valerie

                > it looks like you've got the basics down. the only other thing i
                > would recommend, to make it look more polished, is to crop away the
                > extra bits at the top and bottom.
                >
                > your watercolors are beautiful, by the way! the mosaic tree
                > painting reminds me a bit of some of the Shaker gift drawings. very
                > nice!
                >
                > --
                > shelly
                > http://www.cat-sidh.net

              • Valerie
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
                  thank you for your comments. I am going to get some pages touched up
                  and then I am going to shoot them with my camera and upload them. I
                  cannot stitch 0: What are you working on?
                  My philosophy for art making is ...immerging LOL.
                  I am enjoying the exchanges here.
                  Have a great weekend
                  Valerie

                  > Amen to all the above, Valerie. I just went to your blog and
                  really am
                  > impressed with your work and your philosophy. I haven't learned to
                  stitch (or
                  > most other computer things, either), but it looks to me like you
                  got it! TFS.
                  > Hugs,
                  > Margie

                • Valerie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
                    Hi Gail, I have made more atcs I am trying not to be too critical and
                    just enjoy them. Have you made any? This is all new to me. I am
                    loving it.
                    Blessings
                    Valerie
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/creativechallenge/