How to put journal in files

  • Valerie
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 27 4:21 AM

      Hi Linda,
      thank you for responding.  Do you take a digital picture of your journal pages?  I have always scanned my artwork and my composition book doesn't fit on scanner.  I hope you have a no stupid question policy. LOL bear with me
      Valerie
      Hi Valerie,

      Have you uploaded your first pages? If not, put them into "photos" or "files" and we'll have a look for you!

      Linda
      **************
      aka LINDART

      Design Team Member for
      http://www.alteredpages.com
      See my Altered Art at:
      http://members17.clubphoto.com/linda661881/guest-1.phtml
      Visit my blog at:
      http://www.lindart.blogspot.com
      Visit my Reading Journal at:
      http://www.lindasrj.blogspot.com
      Visit my school!
      http://www.kingstonmontessorischool.com

    • Janice Brown
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 27 8:08 AM
        Valerie <standnngrace@...> wrote:
         my composition book doesn't fit on scanner.

        Hi Valerie

        I have the same problem in that my compbooks don't fit on my scanner bed ... I use a software product that 'stitches' pieces together. It's super simple to use (unlike Photostudio that requires a lot of fussing about and quite a long learning time).

        The software is made by Arcsoft - it came to me as a free add-on with my scanner, but it can be downloaded, and I think the price is about $20. At one time there was a free trial version also

        Most of the pages you see in my PictureTrail albums have been 'stitched'. I scan each side separately and put them together

        you can see them here

        good luck, and hope to see some of your pages soon

        Janice

      • Shelly
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 27 8:43 AM
          Valerie wrote:

          > Hi Linda,
          > thank you for responding. Do you take a digital picture of your
          > journal pages? I have always scanned my artwork and my composition
          > book doesn't fit on scanner. I hope you have a no stupid question
          > policy. LOL bear with me

          i'm not Linda, but unless there are large 3D elements, i scan mine.
          since a full spread won't fit on the scanner, i scan each page
          separately, then stitch together in Photoshop. most image editing
          software can do the same thing. basically, you will need to create a
          third file that is twice as wide as either of the two page files. you
          will copy and paste the two pages into the third file.

          the main "secret" is to rotate each individual page so that it is
          completely square, then crop it at the gutter (the dark, shadowy area at
          the spine). that way, when you put both pages together, they will merge
          seamlessly, because the join will be at the dark shadow in the gutter.

          here's an example of the finished product. once you get the hang of it,
          it takes only a couple of minutes and the end result is nice and tidy.

          http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=2

          --
          shelly
          http://www.cat-sidh.net

          A work is perfectly finished only when nothing can be added and nothing taken away.
          -- Joseph Joubert
        • Valerie
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 27 2:01 PM
            >Your art is amazing. Your water colors are lovely. Thank you for
            your response and the opportunity to see your art work.
            Blessings
            Valerie
            > Valerie <standnngrace@...> wrote: my composition book doesn't
            fit on scanner.

            > Hi Valerie
            >
            > I have the same problem in that my compbooks don't fit on my
            scanner bed ... I use a software product that 'stitches' pieces
            together. It's super simple to use (unlike Photostudio that requires
            a lot of fussing about and quite a long learning time).

            > The software is made by Arcsoft - it came to me as a free add-on
            with my scanner, but it can be downloaded, and I think the price is
            about $20. At one time there was a free trial version also

            > http://www.arcsoft.com/products/scannstitch/
            >
            > Most of the pages you see in my PictureTrail albums have
            been 'stitched'. I scan each side separately and put them together

            > you can see them here
            >
            > http://www.picturetrail.com/menahune
            >
            > good luck, and hope to see some of your pages soon
            >
            > Janice
          • Valerie
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 27 2:08 PM
              Hi Shelly,
              I am going to play around with the stitching thing tonight. thank
              you for your help. Your journal is wonderful. I love the way you
              did it. Do yo have time for questions about your pages?
              Thanx again
              Valerie >
              > i'm not Linda, but unless there are large 3D elements, i scan
              mine.
              > since a full spread won't fit on the scanner, i scan each page
              > separately, then stitch together in Photoshop. most image editing
              > software can do the same thing. basically, you will need to
              create a
              > third file that is twice as wide as either of the two page files.
              you
              > will copy and paste the two pages into the third file.
              >
              > the main "secret" is to rotate each individual page so that it is
              > completely square, then crop it at the gutter (the dark, shadowy
              area at
              > the spine). that way, when you put both pages together, they will
              merge
              > seamlessly, because the join will be at the dark shadow in the
              gutter.

              > here's an example of the finished product. once you get the hang
              of it,
              > it takes only a couple of minutes and the end result is nice and
              tidy.

              > http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=2
              >
              > --
              > shelly
              > http://www.cat-sidh.net
              >
              > A work is perfectly finished only when nothing can be added and
              nothing taken away.
              > -- Joseph Joubert

            • Shelly
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 27 2:25 PM
                Valerie wrote:

                > I am going to play around with the stitching thing tonight. thank
                > you for your help. Your journal is wonderful. I love the way you
                > did it.

                thank you!

                > Do yo have time for questions about your pages?

                absolutely. i'd be happy to do whatever i can to help.

                --
                shelly
                http://www.cat-sidh.net

                You must have chaos in your heart to give birth to a dancing star.
                -- Friedrich Nietzsche
              • Ron and Linda Cameron
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 28 4:14 AM
                  I'm so glad Shelly answered this question because I had no idea "stitching" even existed! I'll have to try it!

                  Linda
                  **************
                  aka  LINDART

[...]

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                • Valerie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 28 10:18 AM
                    Hey Shelly, I played around with my pictures in file with
                    paintbrush since my photo editor would not "stitch". I really
                    appreciate how you describe what you did not the pages of your
                    album. this is invaluable to me. on the pages letters to Esther
                    page and happy I found and finished the sky How did you do your
                    background? how did you get your writing to "show up"
                    I need some basics.
                    Blessings
                    Valerie

                    > Valerie wrote:
                    >
                    > > I am going to play around with the stitching thing tonight.
                    thank
                    > > you for your help. Your journal is wonderful. I love the way
                    you
                    > > did it.
                    >
                    > thank you!
                    >
                    > > Do yo have time for questions about your pages?
                    >
                    > absolutely. i'd be happy to do whatever i can to help.
                    >

                    > --
                    > shelly
                    > http://www.cat-sidh.net
                    >
                    > You must have chaos in your heart to give birth to a dancing star.
                    > -- Friedrich Nietzsche

                  • shelly
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 28 11:31 AM
                      Valerie wrote:
                      > Hey Shelly, I played around with my pictures in file with
                      > paintbrush since my photo editor would not "stitch". I really
                      > appreciate how you describe what you did not the pages of your
                      > album. this is invaluable to me.

                      i'm happy to help! were you able to get the two halves of the
                      spread together in one file?

                      > on the pages letters to Esther
                      > page and happy I found and finished the sky How did you do your
                      > background?

                      the background for Happy I Found was done with cheap craft acrylics.
                      i spread the paint really thinly with a credit card, then
                      immediately "washed" all the excess off with a baby wipe.

                      for Letters to Esther, I again spread cheap craft acrylics with a
                      credit card, but i didn't wash off the paint. i just let it dry as
                      is. if you look closely, it's uneven and you can see some of the
                      marks where the credit card squeegeed the paint. i used a tissue to
                      rub some metallic silver paint around the edges, for a border. then
                      i stamped over the silver with blue acrylic paint, using a stamp i
                      cut from an eraser with an Xacto knife. it wasn't as complicated as
                      it sounds. actually, that page has so much layering because i
                      couldn't stand the way it originally looked. if i recall correctly,
                      there's a layer of dark blue under the wine-colored background.

                      > how did you get your writing to "show up" I need some basics.

                      do you mean how did i get it to show up against the dark paint? in
                      the first one, i just used black ink (Faber-Castell Pitt pens have
                      nice, rich pigment). in the second one, i used a light colored gel pen.

                      or did you mean how do you enhance the contrast in your photo editor
                      to make the writing show up better? in most programs, you can tweak
                      the contrast under the Edit menu, or the Image or Tools menu. you
                      can play around with lightening it, darkening it, or upping the
                      contrast. or, you can do a combination of things. i'm not familiar
                      with Paintbrush, so i'm not sure exactly what it can do. i imagine
                      it has similar capabilities, though.

                      one other thing i've noticed, is that it helps to scan at a higher
                      resolution (i usually use 300dpi at 100% original size), then lower
                      the resolution to 72dpi in your photo editing program. the end
                      result ends up being clearer and nicer looking than if you
                      originally scan the image at 72dpi. also, i keep the high
                      resolution files archived, so that if i want to print them or use
                      them at a later date, i don't have to rescan them. after i upload
                      the low res files to Flickr or my website or wherever, i discard them.

                      --
                      shelly
                      http://www.cat-sidh.net
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
                        Shelly thank you for taking the time to give me all of this info. I
                        was wondering about the credit card thing. I questioned why my
                        pages are thick and toooooo side of the barn painted look. I am
                        still trying to figure out how to stitch my pages together. My last
                        frustrating attempt is in my blog if you want to see it LOL it is so
                        small I do not think you can see it...microscopic as it is.
                        Thank you again
                        Valerie
                        http://standnngrace.blogspot.com/
                        --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, shelly <shelly@...>
                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > can play around with lightening it, darkening it, or upping the
                        > contrast. or, you can do a combination of things. i'm not
                        familiar
                        > with Paintbrush, so i'm not sure exactly what it can do. i
                        imagine
                        > it has similar capabilities, though.
                        >
                        > one other thing i've noticed, is that it helps to scan at a higher
                        > resolution (i usually use 300dpi at 100% original size), then
                        lower
                        > the resolution to 72dpi in your photo editing program. the end
                        > result ends up being clearer and nicer looking than if you
                        > originally scan the image at 72dpi. also, i keep the high
                        > resolution files archived, so that if i want to print them or use
                        > them at a later date, i don't have to rescan them. after i upload
                        > the low res files to Flickr or my website or wherever, i discard

                      • shelly
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
                          Valerie wrote:
                          > Shelly thank you for taking the time to give me all of this info. I
                          > was wondering about the credit card thing.

                          some people are able to get a lighter application using a credit
                          card than i can. mine CC backgrounds are pretty opaque. the paper
                          gets a thick, almost leathery, texture if it's squeegeed on both
                          sides. sometimes, that's okay. other times, i hate it, and go back
                          over it with a light wash of contrasting metallic, which i burnish
                          with a dry paper towel. that leaves a super thin film of
                          pearlescent color on top, making the whole thing look more lively.
                          another thing i do, when i've made an clunky, ugly mess, is to just
                          keep piling on paint until i get something that doesn't horrify me.
                          :) one of my oils instructors used to tell us "it's all
                          underpaint." that's valuable advice, i think, because it got me
                          into the mindset that nothing is beyond salvaging.

                          > I questioned why my
                          > pages are thick and toooooo side of the barn painted look.

                          if you're feeling that the paint is too thick and clunky looking,
                          you can water it down or use a baby wipe to wash away the bulk of
                          it. another thing you might enjoy is using water soluble crayons.
                          Portfolio (made by Crayola) are fairly cheap, if you aren't familiar
                          with them and want to give them a try. the color is pretty intense,
                          so you can get a lot of pigment onto the page without it looking
                          like you spackled it.

                          i'm also a big fan of finger painting. i just can't keep my hands
                          out of the paint (one of the reasons i absolutely cannot get the
                          hang of watercolors!). i love smooshing acrylics around on my
                          journal pages. just the act itself is kinda therapeutic.

                          hmmm. another thing you could try is adding acrylic medium to your
                          paint (or, rather, add a little paint to some medium). that might
                          visually lighten it a bit.

                          > I am
                          > still trying to figure out how to stitch my pages together. My last
                          > frustrating attempt is in my blog if you want to see it LOL it is so
                          > small I do not think you can see it...microscopic as it is.
                          > Thank you again

                          it looks like you've got the basics down. the only other thing i
                          would recommend, to make it look more polished, is to crop away the
                          extra bits at the top and bottom.

                          your watercolors are beautiful, by the way! the mosaic tree
                          painting reminds me a bit of some of the Shaker gift drawings. very
                          nice!

                          --
                          shelly
                          http://www.cat-sidh.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
                            In a message dated 3/2/2006 6:57:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, shelly@... writes:
                            it looks like you've got the basics down.  the only other thing i
                            would recommend, to make it look more polished, is to crop away the
                            extra bits at the top and bottom.

                            your watercolors are beautiful, by the way!  the mosaic tree
                            painting reminds me a bit of some of the Shaker gift drawings.  very
                            nice!
                            Amen to all the above, Valerie.  I just went to your blog and really am impressed with your work and your philosophy.  I haven't learned to stitch (or most other computer things, either), but it looks to me like you got it!  TFS.
                            Hugs,
                            Margie
                          • Gail
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
                              Valerie - I enjoyed viewing the art on your blog. The watercolors are
                              lovely and I do like the ATCs. Gail
                            • Valerie
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
                                Shelly thank you again for all of the help. My husband just got home
                                from out of town. while he was gone I painted and scraped and
                                fingered up a ...lot of pages... ( you are right it is theraputic!) I
                                started a round robin and my friend did a page for me and returned it
                                tonight. I am very much enjoying this.
                                thank you for the kind words regarding my water colors I am just
                                learning.
                                Oh I also made ten atcs..........
                                Do you ever use the powders..I am not having much success with them..
                                I added some to paint and it just got lost .... I put some in gel
                                medium....hmmm
                                I wanted to suggest liquid watercolors especially the metallics. they
                                worked wonders dripped on an acrylic painted page. I brushed some over
                                a page to tint it a bit worked well. I am going to try dipping the
                                portfolio crayons into the liquid watercolors tommorrow. Sorry for
                                going on and on I am having fun withthis
                                thanks
                                Valerie

                                > it looks like you've got the basics down. the only other thing i
                                > would recommend, to make it look more polished, is to crop away the
                                > extra bits at the top and bottom.
                                >
                                > your watercolors are beautiful, by the way! the mosaic tree
                                > painting reminds me a bit of some of the Shaker gift drawings. very
                                > nice!
                                >
                                > --
                                > shelly
                                > http://www.cat-sidh.net

                              • Valerie
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
                                  thank you for your comments. I am going to get some pages touched up
                                  and then I am going to shoot them with my camera and upload them. I
                                  cannot stitch 0: What are you working on?
                                  My philosophy for art making is ...immerging LOL.
                                  I am enjoying the exchanges here.
                                  Have a great weekend
                                  Valerie

                                  > Amen to all the above, Valerie. I just went to your blog and
                                  really am
                                  > impressed with your work and your philosophy. I haven't learned to
                                  stitch (or
                                  > most other computer things, either), but it looks to me like you
                                  got it! TFS.
                                  > Hugs,
                                  > Margie

                                • Valerie
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
                                    Hi Gail, I have made more atcs I am trying not to be too critical and
                                    just enjoy them. Have you made any? This is all new to me. I am
                                    loving it.
                                    Blessings
                                    Valerie
                                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/creativechallenge/