Re: website - 100 ideas

  • Mark Selvidge
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 13, 2005
      Dawn had recommended this site back in Sept. I think. It's a great idea starter.
      Thanks Dawn!  (I didn't have a working printer so I'm going to print the list out right now!)  Vickie

      http://www.kerismith.com/funstuff/100ideas.htm
    • Dawn Smith
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 13, 2005
        Aimie, never worry that what you write isn't worth writing about. You can always get rid of something you have written (not that I ever do), but you can't get back the things you didn't write. I have been journaling off and on since I was 12 way back in the early 70's. When I say off and on I mean sometimes pretty regularly, sometimes nothing for a year or two. I especially treasure those pages that I have from when my kids were small. They were pretty much unimportant, daily nonsense, but they remind me of who I was then. They bring back times and places that I would never remember otherwise and the memories are often crystal clear.

        I started adding visual bits to my written composition book journals, a poor sketch here, a food label or magazine clipping there. They aren't much to look at, but I treasure those journals too. I knew that I was outgrowing the lined, plain paper, but I didn't want to give up the compo books. Then Laurie Gatlin sent the link to her painted page journals (see link on our home page if you haven't yet.) and it was an epiphany for me. I could suddenly write in any direction I chose. I had glorious color to experiment with and glory in. I have since filled 4 compo book journals.

        You asked about planning. I rarely plan. Often I don't even feel like journaling. What I do is something I learned from another group. I present myself to the page with an open mind and whatever supplies are available. Usually I take a sponge and smear a thin layer of fluid acrylic paint around. Sometimes I use a credit card instead. I always get the paint on my hands. Sometimes I use my fingers to stamp a border.

        Then I either grab a magazine and look for something that appeals to me, or I might look in the bowl where I stick bits and pieces of papers - fruit labels, tickets, receipts, doodles, addresses from envelopes, recipes, etc... I love anything that will bring back memories. I like to photo copy pictures or print them out if they are digital photos. I especially like using old family snapshots. Lots of times whatever is laying on my craft table left over from another project winds up in the journal. Sometimes what I have glued down or drawn inspires what I write. Sometimes it is totally unrelated. I like to fill in with stamping. I have lots of stamps made from erasers. My favorites are usually texture stamps or often just a rectangle or circle. Sometimes I use purchased rubber stamps.

        It's late and this may not make any sense at all, but I've been wanting to reply to your questions. I think the best advice in addition to presenting yourself to the page that I've received is that the page doesn't have to be perfect, or pretty or make sense, it just has to be finished. For a journal page I did about this see http://tinyurl.com/8jz6q If you click on the photo, you can read the journaling.

        Sometimes making a self-challenge helps get you started journaling or started back. Maybe a page a day or three a week or something. And now I really have to get to bed so I won't be a bear in the morning.

      • hotwhenburning
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 14, 2005
          Thank you so much Dawn. I have visited your website and your work is
          great! I appreciate all your input and great advice.

          Aimie

          --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Smith" <d-j-
          smith@c...> wrote:

> [...]
          like to fill in with stamping. I have lots of stamps made from
          erasers. My favorites are usually texture stamps or often just a
          rectangle or circle. Sometimes I use purchased rubber stamps.

          > It's late and this may not make any sense at all, but I've been
          wanting to reply to your questions. I think the best advice in
          addition to presenting yourself to the page that I've received is
          that the page doesn't have to be perfect, or pretty or make sense, it
          just has to be finished. For a journal page I did about this see
          http://tinyurl.com/8jz6q If you click on the photo, you can read the
          journaling.

          > Sometimes making a self-challenge helps get you started journaling
          or started back. Maybe a page a day or three a week or something. And
          now I really have to get to bed so I won't be a bear in the morning.

        • Linda O'Leary
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 5 1:48 PM
            Hello Fellow Journalers,

            Introduce yourself with a brief sentence or two so I know you're a
            real person interested in art journals!

            My name is Linda , but I would like to be called Lima because there
            are so many Linda's around. (First 2 letters of my first name, first 2
            letters of my middle name.)

            I just recently got fired up for art journaling because of Suzi Blu.
            I started my first Art journal last night and have 2 spreads done already.

            Thank you for letting me join.

            Lima
          • Dawn Smith
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 5 4:23 PM
              Welcome Lima! You're in for a lot of fun with journaling. Be sure and check out all the links on our home page. You will also find lots of help in the archives. Search under things like paint, pens, glue, etc..

              When I pronounce your name in my head should it be Lima as in Peru or Ohio?

              Lima wrote: Introduce yourself with a brief sentence or two so I know you're a
              real person interested in art journals!

              My name is Linda , but I would like to be called Lima because there
              are so many Linda's around. (First 2 letters of my first name, first 2
              letters of my middle name.)

              I just recently got fired up for art journaling because of Suzi Blu.
              I started my first Art journal last night and have 2 spreads done already.

              Thank you for letting me join.

              Lima
            • linda oleary
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 5 4:38 PM
                 Pronounce it as Lima, Peru.  I live in Panama City, Panama right now, but will be moving back to the states in the near future.  Thanks for the welcome.

                Lima

              • lindart@bellnet.ca
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 5 5:15 PM
                  Hi Lima, I too am a Linda, but call myself Lindart. I have been art journaling for about 2 years, you can find most of my journal pages on my blog in my sig line. Most are tagged, but i don't think i've tagged the most recent ones, but those will be easy to find, since i just put them up a week ago! I love Suzi Blu too, just found her a few weeks ago, just before she moved. I would love to see what you've done so far! Journaling is lots of fun! -which reminds me - I have to go and prepare some pages!!

                  Linda C or Lindart

                  ******
                  AKA "Lindart"

                  Design Team Member for:
                  http://www.alteredpages.com

                  See my Art Blog with Art Journals and other works at:
                  http://www.lindart.blogspot.com
                  updated often
                • Jeanine
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 7 7:57 PM
                    Hi Lima,

                    I am Jeanine from Apollo, PA. Hope you like the group.

                    --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Linda O'Leary"
                    <craftygirlster@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Fellow Journalers,
                    >
                    > Introduce yourself with a brief sentence or two so I know you're a
                    > real person interested in art journals!
                    >
                    > My name is Linda , but I would like to be called Lima because there
                    > are so many Linda's around. (First 2 letters of my first name, first 2
                    > letters of my middle name.)
                    >
                    > I just recently got fired up for art journaling because of Suzi Blu.
                    > I started my first Art journal last night and have 2 spreads done
                    already.

                    > Thank you for letting me join.
                    >
                    > Lima

                  • Dawn Smith
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 17 7:52 PM
                      Sorry this took so long to show up. It got stuck in spam limbo somehow
                      and I just now noticed it. Have you done any journaling? I've been
                      doing a page every couple of days lately.

                      Dawn

                      <craftygirlster@...> wrote:

                      > Pronounce it as Lima, Peru. I live in Panama City, Panama right
                      now, but
                      > will be moving back to the states in the near future. Thanks for the
                      > welcome.
                      >
                      > Lima
                    • NancyN
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 8, 2008

                        Welcome to the CompositionArtJournals group at Yahoo! Groups.  Allmembers must be approved -- this will hopefully keep spammers out! Please introduce yourself with a brief sentence or two so I knowyou're a real person interested in art journals!

                        Hello!  I'm Nancy ... I live in central Ohio.  I've begun journaling again - and can use all of the inspiration I can get.  ;o)  Some of my attempts so far can be seen in my blog  and in my flickr  .  While I don't use a composition book for my journaling (yet *lol*) I have a real fondness for the books as I have one my grandmother used.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 8, 2008
                          Glad to have you here, Nancy!  :) This is a great lil group.
                          Light of heart,
                          ~*~Walks~*~

                          Welcome to the CompositionArtJourn als group at Yahoo! Groups.  Allmembers must be approved -- this will hopefully keep spammers out! Please introduce yourself with a brief sentence or two so I knowyou're a real person interested in art journals!

                          Hello!  I'm Nancy ... I live in central Ohio.  I've begun journaling again - and can use all of the inspiration I can get.  ;o)  Some of my attempts so far can be seen in my blog  and in my flickr  .  While I don't use a composition book for my journaling (yet *lol*) I have a real fondness for the books as I have one my grandmother used.

                        • pmwriter
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 21, 2009
                            Hey, I'm trish. This looks like a fantastic group and I'm really
                            looking forward to learning more about art journaling from everyone,
                            and to starting my own art journal!

                            trish
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 22, 2009
                              Welcome to the group, Trish.  :)