Nov challenge

  • Dawn Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hi all, I haven't been posting much, but I've been busy with my journal. I decided to try another November challenge. Last year I participated in art by the inch. I don't guess it's going on this year, but I need something to jump start my journal. So far I've been trying for at least something every day in my journal. I've done a spread a day for the last few. Anybody want to participate in a Nov challenge with me? Themes, topics, something?

      I have a few of the new ones posted on my blog.

    • Gail
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2005
        Dawn - I would be interested in a Nov. challenge to do a page a day.
        The theme wouldn't be a big issue with me - I just want to get into
        the habit of journaling my life everyday. I must confess that I do
        not have a composition journal yet - I'm using a cheap plain page
        journal from Michaels. Your pages are great. I enjoyed your altered
        dictionary and the travel journal link. Gail
      • jim and tree
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2005
          I'd been in art by the inch before too, and wondered what happened to it.
          I may be up to the challenge of a page a day

          tree
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2005
            Dawn,

            I also have been waiting for Art By The Inch. I would love to take part in this if we do it on this list. I will have to think of some themes or ideas and write tomorrow.

            Just to let you know I am interested.

            Patricia

          • Dawn Smith
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
              I'm glad to see some interest. I found last year that sharing with
              others helped me to keep up with my challenge. I went up last night
              and did another spead after I wrote to the list. It's one of my
              favorites this week.

              I hope others will post scans as they are working. I plan to even if
              I only get part of a page done. I may not post that day, but when the
              page is finished. I tend to think I'll only have time for a part,
              like last night, and then I wind up staying up and finishing once I'm
              started. Last year I found that prepping pages in the morning helped.

              Posting inspiration pages online would be great too. We might try
              doing our version of an inspiration page once a week or so. Lots of
              times I only use one tiny idea from an inspiration page, but it gets
              me started. Usually that's my main problem ~ getting started.

              Dawn

              -- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Stewart
              <aureate_art@y...> wrote:

              > Dawn,
              >
              > I also have been waiting for Art By The Inch. I would love to take
              part in this if we do it on this list. I will have to think of some
              themes or ideas and write tomorrow.

              > Just to let you know I am interested.
              >
              > Patricia
              >

              > http://www.aureateart.com
              > http://www.picturetrail.com/patriciahinestewart
              > http://www.janegirlart.blogspot.com

            • jim and tree
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
                inspiration is what I need.

                tree
                I also have been waiting for Art By The Inch. I would love to take part in this if we do it on this list. I will have to think of some themes or ideas and write tomorrow.

                Just to let you know I am interested.

                Patricia

              • Stephanie Gates
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
                  Ah, yes, I too could use some inspiration, especially with backgrounds. Maybe some color combination prompts would lead to some interesting experimentations.

                  effie

                • Coleman, Bonnie M (J6C)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005

                    Could someone tell me what this challenge consists of please?

                    Bonnie
                    692-9219

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
                      Hi folks,

                      I'm relatively new to the group and this is the first time I've posted but I'd also be up for the page a day challenge.

                      I'm Maz, I'm in the UK and I've been art journaling for a while now.  I also indulge in altered books, ATCs, collage, mail art and so on.  I love looking at other folk's journal pages and there's some great work in the files here. :-)

                      On the topic of inspiration, www.creativity-portal.com has a prompt generator here: http://www.creativity-portal.com/prompts/imagination.prompt.html which is quite useful.  I was just having a browse on the site and there's a section of winter prompts here: http://www.creativity-portal.com/howto/writing/winter.writing.prompts.html.  The prompts are aimed at more traditional journaling but I thought they might be worth a look.  I also found this link:  http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/prompts.html.  I haven't investigated too deeply but there's masses of prompts there!  Hope it might help!

                      I think someone posted about inspiration for backgrounds, what kind of techniques do you guys use?

                      Looking forward to getting going on the challenge!

                      Maz
                    • Dawn Smith
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
                        Effie, I like this idea. How about if everyone looks through their
                        journals or inspiration pages and comes up with a combination or two.
                        It could be two colors or more, might include which color(s) is/are
                        the dominant ones, which are accents, etc... Inspiration pages don't
                        have to be other journal pages either. It could be from a magazine
                        spread, clothing, food packaging, what have you. I'll wait til I get
                        several and then see if I can figure out how to get them to send out
                        automatically once a day.

                        Any other ideas?

                        Dawn

                        --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie Gates

                      • Jeffgenct@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 4, 2005
                          In a message dated 11/2/2005 7:52:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, d-j-smith@... writes:
                          I have a few of the new ones posted on my blog.

                          Dawn
                          Dawn - what a treat to look at all the yummy pages in your journal.  This "read" comes after being away from the computer for over a week.  Thoroughly inspiring, if I may say so.
                          Hugs,
                          Margie