Re: [CompositionArtJournals] New Journal, New Pictures

  • Angelia Thompson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
      LOL......thanks for making sense of my madness!  :o)
      Angelia

      Brooks Best <brooksbest@...> wrote:
      For posterity, of course.  One day one of your offspring way, way down the line will run across one of your books and the name and especially the date will take on real importance to them. and pages may come loose from the books so you want that date on each page.  I get the obsession.  : )

      Angelia Thompson <blkmajkwmn@...> wrote:
      If I write a poem or have a rare witty quote, I always sign my name to it.  My MAJOR thing in my journal is that I MUST put the date on each page.  I don't know why I'm so obsessive about it but I am!
      Angelia

      Ron and Linda Cameron <kingston.montessori.school@...> wrote:
      I like the way you always start your journals! Come to think of it, I'm not
      sure my name is in any of my journals...must go back and rectify that!!
      Linda C
      **************
      aka  LINDART

      Design Team Member for
      http://www.alteredpages.com

      Check out my ClubPhoto site!
      http://members17.clubphoto.com/linda661881/guest-1.phtml

      Visit my school!
      http://www.kingstonmontessorischool.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
        > One day one of your offspring way, way down the line will run across one
        > of your books and the name and especially >the date will take on real
        > importance to them.

        In my case, I have no offspring or nieces/nephews who might want them. I
        have to hope that whoever buys things from my estate might want them, but
        I'm fully aware that mine could end up in the trash when I die.
        Darcy
      • Brooks Best
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
          I know.  Sad, isn't it?  But I imagine if they wind up in a stranger's hands, even a stranger would value something old with a date on it.  When I find something like that it immediately puts me in a reflective mood, wondering about the lives of the artist or people who are in the old photos, or whatever. I think, "I'm holding the same book someone else held and cherished perhaps...maybe 50 or 100 years ago".  We never know about the impact our words or art will have on someone way into the future.  Brooks

          > One day one of your offspring way, way down the line will run across one
          > of your books and the name and especially >the date will take on real
          > importance to them.

          In my case, I have no offspring or nieces/nephews who might want them.  I
          have to hope that whoever buys things from my estate might want them, but
          I'm fully aware that mine could end up in the trash when I die.
          Darcy

        • Darcy Stockstill
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
            >But I imagine if they wind up in a stranger's hands, even a stranger would
            >value something old with a date on it. When I >find something like that it
            >immediately puts me in a reflective mood, wondering about the lives of the
            >artist or people who >are in the old photos, or whatever.

            I ran into a "scrapbook" of old mostly Christmas memorabilia in an antique
            store. If I remember correctly, it dated from like the 1940's. I thought
            about the person pasting all that cool stuff into the scrapbook, and really
            would have liked to have had it. But it was almost $50, and I didn't have
            that to spend at the time. I did drool over it, though.
            Darcy
          • shelly
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
              on 2005-06-02 at 10:06 <brooksbest@...> wrote:

              >I know. Sad, isn't it? But I imagine if they wind up in a
              >stranger's hands, even a stranger would value something old
              >with a date on it. When I find something like that it
              >immediately puts me in a reflective mood, wondering about the
              >lives of the artist or people who are in the old photos, or
              >whatever. I think, "I'm holding the same book someone else
              >held and cherished perhaps...maybe 50 or 100 years ago". We
              >never know about the impact our words or art will have on
              >someone way into the future. Brooks

              exactly! i often pick up old personal items from flea
              markets. two of of my finds are a commonplace book from teens
              and a scrapbook from the 1930s. i treasure both of them.

              the piece de resistance, though, was a big crate of letters
              that i found at a flea market. i've been transcribing them
              and putting them online. the project is on hiatus right now
              because i just don't have the time, but as soon as this darned
              website i'm working on is finished, i'll get back to it. it's
              a fascinating project. on the one hand, i feel sad that the
              woman the letters were written to apparently has no living
              relatives who wanted them. on the other hand, i feel blessed
              to have been entrusted with them. they truly are a treasure
              trove.

              so, i wouldn't let the fear that there will be no future
              family to leave my journals, etc. to deter me from creating
              them. it's likely that *some*one will appreciate them, after
              i'm gone. and, if no one does, they still served their
              purpose as an artistic and emotional outlet for me.

              --
              shelly
              http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
                Excellent, Shelly.  This is exactly what I was thinking as I expressed the thought (hope) that whatever we say or do does not fall away into nothing.  It's the way they say a sound will reverberate through the cosmos for all eternity.  I think if we have lived and taken space on this planet, then everything we say and do affects the rest of the world and there's no way we can leave this earth with enduring in some way.  I'd love to read some of the letters you're transcribing when you get your project to that point, and I admire you for knowing these things have been entrusted  to you.  Please let us know how you progress.  Brooks

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                  on 2005-06-02 at 15:32 <brooksbest@...> wrote:

                  >Excellent, Shelly. This is exactly what I was thinking as I
                  >expressed the thought (hope) that whatever we say or do does
                  >not fall away into nothing. It's the way they say a sound
                  >will reverberate through the cosmos for all eternity. I
                  >think if we have lived and taken space on this planet, then
                  >everything we say and do affects the rest of the world and
                  >there's no way we can leave this earth with enduring in some
                  >way.

                  thank you! that's *exactly* what i believe.

                  >I'd love to read some of the letters you're transcribing when
                  >you get your project to that point, and I admire you for
                  >knowing these things have been entrusted to you. Please let
                  >us know how you progress. Brooks

                  there are quite a few of them up already at
                  http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com . i haven't updated it
                  in a couple of months, because i've been swamped with other
                  projects, but there are probably a couple hundred on-line now.