lists and note-taking page

  • Kathleen Marie Pequignot
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 10, 2005
      Okay, I allowed myself to scribble notes/lists in my last journal page,
      even though it felt weird to be putting down ideas that didn't seem to
      flow together. It consisted of alzehimers notes and new singers I want
      to look up next time I'm in Borders. But I'm trying to learn not to
      have so many journal rules about what goes together. ha ha

      I also did a page for my daughter to read... wisdom from Mom. LOL

      http://somanystars.blogspot.com/

      --
      Kathleen

      Visual Journal: http://thescribbledjourney.blogspot.com
      General art blog: http://somanystars.blogspot.com
    • Nicolette Anderson
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 10, 2005
        Hello!
        Your comments struck a chord with me, as I used to teach lettering
        classes at a local scrapbook store. My goals were to take people's
        ordinary printing, and show them how to do little things that would
        make it look more "artsy"

        Nicolette
        Visit my blog
        http://nickieblog.blogspot.com/
        On 8-Apr-05, at 5:07 AM, Kathleen Marie Pequignot wrote:

        > I think where I get stumped is that I love to make lists, or jot down a
        > website I want to go look at, or an interesting factoid, but then I
        > look
        > at my "pretty" prepared page and think, oh, this needs something more
        > substantial---a list shouldn't go here.
        >
        > Then I think, well, that's stupid. Just write it down in there... it's
        > your book.
        >
        > Maybe I just have a tough time learning to see each separate addition
        > as
        > a step to the whole or I get impatient to see how the pieces will be
        > connected, because they look so glaringly different when you first put
        > them on the page. It doesn't seem to come together until there is a
        > blending of paint, or repeated forms to make the ephemera work
        > cohesively with the writing or other differnt elements.  So this drawn
        > out process of getting a page to "finished" form seems excrutiating to
        > me at times.  Especially if the process takes a few days or maybe even
        > week to "happen".
        >
        > Do your pages sometimes take days to work out?
        >
        > HA!  Now, maybe if my pages looked like Laurie's, I'd get away with
        > creative lists and factoids.  :)  Laurie, you can make anything look
        > like it was destined to work as a unit.
        >
        > I also want to experiment with different kinds of lettering.  Fun
        > lettering... not necessarily traditional calligraphy. I wish I were
        > more
        > creative with letters, being able to use different funky styles without
        > thinking much about it.  Does anyone play with making up their own
        > alphabets?
        >
        > --
        > Kathleen
        >
        > Visual Journal: http://thescribbledjourney.blogspot.com
        > General art blog: http://somanystars.blogspot.com

        > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to theYahoo! Terms of Service.

      • linfrye
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 10, 2005
          Kathleen:

          This is so interesting to me! I've always wondered how visual
          journals get created -- backgrounds painted first, drawing first,
          writing first ... so interesting to see how folks do their journals.

          My days are so busy, that I ususally don't have time to create a
          background, wait, then journal .. so for me -- I'll grab some
          interesting scrapbook type paper with texture or design, glue it to
          my lined paper -- then do the images -- and then write around the
          images (inspired by DAwn's work and yours), and then continue
          writing on the lined, unadored papers. Soemtimes, when I go back to
          reread what I've written, I'll add some ephemera to the written
          pages because they look so plain in comparison.

          For the first time this weekend, having a bit more leisure time, I
          worked on some watercolor paper to create a background, then glued
          it to my journal -- then wound up covering it all up with images!!!
          LOL

          So I guess there isn't any 'right' way to do the visual journal ..
          but I'd love to hear more about the different processes ...

          Lin

          --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, Kathleen Marie
          Pequignot <kjp318@e...> wrote:
          > All good questions Dawn. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure WHAT I am
          > doing. LOL
          >
          > This was my first composition book, so I'm making up new rules for
          > myself as I go along. For some reason I HAD to paint every page
          first
          > before I would write anything. Not sure why!
          >
          > Then if I found an image that worked on a page usually according
          > color, I used gel medium and slapped it in on, also I added envies
          that
          > were pretty and scattered them throughout the journal. I spent
          many
          > weeks doing this, because I was totally into using all my pretty
          acrylic
          > paints and I was avoiding writing. ha ha
          >
          > Then when I finished this process, I had to get over the fear that
          my
          > handwriting and dumb journaling would ruin the pretty painted
          pages.
          > (that is the pure visual artist hogging all the fun). After the
          first
          > page of writing, I started to enjoy adding the words, although I
          still
          > have that fear of ruining the color design. So I journal/write
          holding
          > my breath.
          >
          > But no, I just write whatever I need to get down, even if the page
          seems
          > like it has a theme. I am trying not to drive myself more insane
          than I
          > already am.
          >
          > The only thing I don't really enjoy doing in this journal is
          traditional
          > artwork, like pen and ink, or detailed drawings. The weight and
          texture
          > of the paper just doesn't get me thinking "fine art". Doodles are
          fine
          > though. So, I've tried to allow myself to have two journals going
          on
          > (gasp) ... one still in my 6x8 Mead journal where I'm doing my
          Everyday
          > Matters work when I can get to it. This allows me to see the Comp
          Book
          > as another visual tool without missing my drawing texture type
          paper.

          > Oh, I am rambling. See, I'm still working out this whole thing.
          Sorry...