sketch grid

  • Kimberly Birdwell Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hi, I am a new member, so forgive me if this is old hat. I have seen
      in some of your posted journal pages that some of you create monthly
      sketch grids. Well, I sat myself down at my desk last night and
      created one such grid in my journal. Question: now what do I do with
      it? Obviously I know the purpose is to sketch once a day, but I'd
      like to hear a little more about it if anyone would like to share
      their thoughts.
      Thanks sooo much!
      Kimberly in dreary Ohio
    • Dawn Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
        Kimberly, I decided after reading on some of the Yahoo groups that
        drawing is a skill and not an inherited talent that wanted to see if
        it is true that everyone can learn to draw. Everyone said that you
        have to practice a lot so that you can learn to "see" what you are
        trying to draw. That is why I did my sketch grids. They motivate me
        to draw everyday because of the commitment and the empty boxes
        staring at me. I did a drawing almost every day for 6 weeks. I'm no
        DaVinci by any means, but I can see improvement. Also, I just like
        the way the grids look. I just posted the last one on my blog this
        morning.

        Dawn
        http://on-the-banks-of-bay-creek.blogspot.com/
        Blog updated 02-02-2005

        --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly Birdwell
        Smith" <kkreations01@y...> wrote:

        > Hi, I am a new member, so forgive me if this is old hat. I have
        seen
        > in some of your posted journal pages that some of you create
        monthly
        > sketch grids. Well, I sat myself down at my desk last night and
        > created one such grid in my journal. Question: now what do I do
        with
        > it? Obviously I know the purpose is to sketch once a day, but I'd
        > like to hear a little more about it if anyone would like to share
        > their thoughts.
        > Thanks sooo much!
        > Kimberly in dreary Ohio
      • Mikki
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
          I've got a question... You mean on each page there is a grid pattern on the page? How faint is it? I took a drawing 101 sketch and I learned how to use a sketch grid and I love it for drawing from a picture. I've done a couple of pictures from Nightmare Before Christmas using the technique. Where did you find it? I MUST have one!!

          ~Mikki
          http://velvetinspirations.blogspot.com
          Hi, I am a new member, so forgive me if this is old hat. I have seen
          in some of your posted journal pages that some of you create monthly
          sketch grids. Well, I sat myself down at my desk last night and
          created one such grid in my journal. Question: now what do I do with
          it? Obviously I know the purpose is to sketch once a day, but I'd
          like to hear a little more about it if anyone would like to share
          their thoughts.
          Thanks sooo much!
          Kimberly in dreary Ohio

        • Ron and Linda Cameron
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
            I love the idea of the sketch grid, and the Monthly grid. As soon as I
            saw this yesterday I immediatly made one for my journal, I hope to write
            at least something everyday. So much better than having a whole blank
            page to look at! I will scan it and post it later. I will make a sketch
            grid too. You guys are so inpiring!!

            Linda C

            Dawn Smith wrote:

            > Kimberly, I decided after reading on some of the Yahoo groups that
            > drawing is a skill and not an inherited talent that wanted to see if
            > it is true that everyone can learn to draw. Everyone said that you
            > have to practice a lot so that you can learn to "see" what you are
            > trying to draw. That is why I did my sketch grids. They motivate me
            > to draw everyday because of the commitment and the empty boxes
            > staring at me. I did a drawing almost every day for 6 weeks. I'm no
            > DaVinci by any means, but I can see improvement. Also, I just like
            > the way the grids look. I just posted the last one on my blog this
            > morning.
            >
            > Dawn
            > http://on-the-banks-of-bay-creek.blogspot.com/
            > Blog updated 02-02-2005
            >

            > --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly Birdwell
            > Smith" <kkreations01@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, I am a new member, so forgive me if this is old hat. I have
            > seen
            > > in some of your posted journal pages that some of you create
            > monthly
            > > sketch grids. Well, I sat myself down at my desk last night and
            > > created one such grid in my journal. Question: now what do I do
            > with
            > > it? Obviously I know the purpose is to sketch once a day, but I'd
            > > like to hear a little more about it if anyone would like to share
            > > their thoughts.
            > > Thanks sooo much!
            > > Kimberly in dreary Ohio

            aka Lindart

            Design Team Member for http://www.alteredpages.com

            Check out my ClubPhoto site!
            http://members17.clubphoto.com/linda661881/guest-1.phtml

            Visit my school!
            http://www.kingstonmontessorischool.com
          • Jeffgenct@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
              In a message dated 2/3/2005 12:07:46 A.M. Central Standard Time, tweedums@... writes:
              I've got a question... You mean on each page there is a grid pattern on the page? How faint is it? I took a drawing 101 sketch and I learned how to use a sketch grid and I love it for drawing from a picture. I've done a couple of pictures from Nightmare Before Christmas using the technique. Where did you find it? I MUST have one!!

              ~Mikki
              Mikki - this sounds interesting; would you say just a bit more as to how this works.  I have in my mind that there is a template with cut-out squares that you place over a picture.  Then choose one of the squares and re-draw in your chosen grid square in your journal what is in the template.  .....Is this anywhere near the mark????
              Please: curious minds need to know more!
              Margie
            • Kimberly Smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
                Hi Mikki,
                love your blog, BTW!
                The grid I was refering to is taking a page or two in your journal, dividing it up into small squares, then using each small square as a separate sketch space. The idea, to my understanding, is to get your drawing skills out everyday, even when a huge white space is too intimidating to tackle. The small boxes are a lot easier to conquer, I am realizing.
                Check out Dawn's blog to see an example.

                Kimberly

                Mikki <tweedums@...> wrote:
                I've got a question... You mean on each page there is a grid pattern on the page? How faint is it? I took a drawing 101 sketch and I learned how to use a sketch grid and I love it for drawing from a picture. I've done a couple of pictures from Nightmare Before Christmas using the technique. Where did you find it? I MUST have one!!

                ~Mikki
                http://velvetinspirations.blogspot.com

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Mikki
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
                  In drawing 101 this is what we learned to do. The teacher went to one of those kodak picture maker places with a CD that had pictures from Nightmare Before Christmas and printed 4x6 prints of them. You could do this with any picture though, he bought overhead transparencies and cut them to fit the size of the picture. We then drew a grid on the transparencies which could overlay on the picture. On a piece of paper we drew a grid to go with the one on the transparacy. All you need to do is draw what's in the box on the picture onto the paper, it makes it quite easy. I'd love to find a notebook with already drawn grids since when I'm at work all we have is a yard stick.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
                    Oh, Okay; now I know what you mean; thanks.  I remember doing this years ago (more or less); just didn't know it had a name.  I should give it a try again!  Thanks.
                    Margie