Special Needs and District needs

  • bsamommabear
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2006
      Hello all you wonderful Commissioners!!!

      I want to make you aware and get your support for a few reasons on the
      widening of the Special Needs provisions being made in our Council.

      As most of you are probably aware, the Special Needs district was
      always an entity of their own. Because of changes in policy as well as
      Denver wanting to keep up with what is happening in our world, our
      Council is now having a Special Needs section for all districts and
      the Council wide area.
      This is something very close to my heart as those of you that know me
      and my children are aware. Special Needs anymore is not just CP, Downs
      Syndrome and those disabilities that we can "see", it is also, ADHD,
      ADD, Autism, Bipolar, and I could name more. More and more of our
      youth are being diagnosed or misdiagnosed every day. That boy in your
      unit may not necessarily be a "behavioral" problem, he may have a
      special need even his parents are not aware of.
      On March 4th, the Council is having their first training on teaching
      Special Needs to all of us that work with units and boys. I will have
      more info to come in the future. Also, Douglas County Schools would
      very much like us as a District to comply more with the Special Needs
      that they have as a district. It might even eventually lead us to a
      better partnership with Douglas County Schools.
      I would really like, as would the Council, us as a District to embrace
      this concept and help the units in our District to be better prepared
      now and in the future to help our youth. Know the warning signs, help
      our leaders and others to recognize what needs to be done and do it.
      I know this is one more training, and everyone is so busy, however, I
      feel this is very important to us, as human beings as well as our duty
      to the BSA to get more knowledge and try to help our youth, all our
      youth, to succeed.
      More info will be coming soon. I appreciate you marking your calendars
      for March 4th now. It will only be a 1/2 day session I am told right
      now.
      Thank you.
      Yours In Scouting,
      Karen Mansfield