Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs

  • constoitsis
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hi All

      Fantastic images and reports from everyone
      Keep up the good work guys
      I saw the comet for about 20 mins last night, before it
      disappeared behind a building.
      Even from light polluted Caulfield, Melbourne, Australia, and approx 30
      mins before Nautical twilight, the comet was visible with
      a very short tail to the naked eye.
      The coma is very strong and starlike.
      In my 11x70 mm the tail is over 1.5 degrees
      In my 20cm I could detect a faint Type 3 dust
      trail, approx 0.5 degrees in length, at PA 190.
      When the coma was lost behind a building
      the tail resembled
      a torch light, coming from behind the building.

      Details

      March 4.40UT, m1 2.0, Dia 7/, Dia 5.5'
      Tail 1.5 degrees PA 160.
      Dust trail (type 3) 0.5 degrees in length, PA 190
      only visible in 20cm

      Regards

      Con Stoitsis
      Director