Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs

  • constoitsis
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
      Hi All

      I made the following observation from Clonbinane
      Victoria, Australia this morning.
      Light meter reading 20.80

      Feb 15.75UT, m1 5.0, DC 8/, Dia 4.0'
      Broad tail 0.4 length PA 230
      Very condensed centre
      11x70mm
      Just visible to the naked eye with averted
      vision.

      Regards

      Con Stoitsis
      Director
      Comet Section
      Astronomical Society of Victoria Inc
      Melbourne Australia
    • constoitsis
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2013
        Hi All

        I made the following observation from Elwood
        beach, Victoria, Australia tonight.
        The comet was visible to the naked eye as a starlike
        object with a very short tail, which appeared longer with
        averted vision.
        In my 11x70mm binoculars I could see over a degree
        of tail.
        Details
        March 1.40UT, m1 2.4, DC 7/.
        Tail over 1 deg in length, PA 160.
        11x70mm Binoculars

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
          Hi All

          I spotted the comet from Caulfield, Victoria, Australia last night, approx 5 degrees above the SW horizon.
          The comet seemed slightly brighter than the previous night.
          To the naked eye, the comet was starlike in appearance and I could detected a short tail
          with direct vision.
          In my 11x70mm binoculars the tail was approx 1.5 degrees in length at 160 PA.

          Details below

          March 2.40UT, m1 2.0, DC 7/, Dia 5'

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2013
            Hi All

            Fantastic images and reports from everyone
            Keep up the good work guys
            I saw the comet for about 20 mins last night, before it
            disappeared behind a building.
            Even from light polluted Caulfield, Melbourne, Australia, and approx 30
            mins before Nautical twilight, the comet was visible with
            a very short tail to the naked eye.
            The coma is very strong and starlike.
            In my 11x70 mm the tail is over 1.5 degrees
            In my 20cm I could detect a faint Type 3 dust
            trail, approx 0.5 degrees in length, at PA 190.
            When the coma was lost behind a building
            the tail resembled
            a torch light, coming from behind the building.

            Details

            March 4.40UT, m1 2.0, Dia 7/, Dia 5.5'
            Tail 1.5 degrees PA 160.
            Dust trail (type 3) 0.5 degrees in length, PA 190
            only visible in 20cm