Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs

  • constoitsis
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2013
      Hi All

      I made the following observation from Caulfield, Victoria, Australia this morning.
      Light meter reading 18.55
      Conditions were clear and still.

      Feb 5.70 UT, m1 6.1, Dia 5.5', DC 6' .
      More condensed towards the centre
      Coma elongated to the NW
      11x70mm Binos

      Regards

      Con Stoitsis
      Director
      Comet Section
      Astronomical Society of Victoria Inc
      Melbourne Australia
    • constoitsis
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
        Hi All

        I made the following observation from Caulfield, Victoria, Australia this morning.
        Conditions- Patchy cloud, mild, slight breeze.

        Feb 6.70 UT, m1 6.0, Dia 5.0', DC 6.
        Coma condensed towards the centre.
        Short tail PA 35
        11x70mm Binos
        Moon interference

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 10, 2013
          Hi All

          I made the following observation from Caulfiield
          Victoria, Australia this morning
          Conditions were very good
          Light meter reading 18.40

          Feb 10.74UT, m1 5.5, Dia 4.0', DC= 8
          11x70mm Bino
          Bright stellar central condensation
          (Starlike centre)
          Tail easily visible approx 20' in length
          At the time of observation the comet was approx
          10 degs above SE horizon
          Morning twilight interference.
          Not visible to the naked eye

          Regards

          Con Stoitsis
          Director
          Comet Section
          Astronomical Society if Victoria Inc
          Melbourne Australia
        • constoitsis
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
            Hi All

            I made the following observation from Clonbinane
            Victoria, Australia this morning.
            Light meter reading 20.80

            Feb 15.75UT, m1 5.0, DC 8/, Dia 4.0'
            Broad tail 0.4 length PA 230
            Very condensed centre
            11x70mm
            Just visible to the naked eye with averted
            vision.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2013
              Hi All

              I made the following observation from Elwood
              beach, Victoria, Australia tonight.
              The comet was visible to the naked eye as a starlike
              object with a very short tail, which appeared longer with
              averted vision.
              In my 11x70mm binoculars I could see over a degree
              of tail.
              Details
              March 1.40UT, m1 2.4, DC 7/.
              Tail over 1 deg in length, PA 160.
              11x70mm Binoculars

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
                Hi All

                I spotted the comet from Caulfield, Victoria, Australia last night, approx 5 degrees above the SW horizon.
                The comet seemed slightly brighter than the previous night.
                To the naked eye, the comet was starlike in appearance and I could detected a short tail
                with direct vision.
                In my 11x70mm binoculars the tail was approx 1.5 degrees in length at 160 PA.

                Details below

                March 2.40UT, m1 2.0, DC 7/, Dia 5'

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4, 2013
                  Hi All

                  Fantastic images and reports from everyone
                  Keep up the good work guys
                  I saw the comet for about 20 mins last night, before it
                  disappeared behind a building.
                  Even from light polluted Caulfield, Melbourne, Australia, and approx 30
                  mins before Nautical twilight, the comet was visible with
                  a very short tail to the naked eye.
                  The coma is very strong and starlike.
                  In my 11x70 mm the tail is over 1.5 degrees
                  In my 20cm I could detect a faint Type 3 dust
                  trail, approx 0.5 degrees in length, at PA 190.
                  When the coma was lost behind a building
                  the tail resembled
                  a torch light, coming from behind the building.

                  Details

                  March 4.40UT, m1 2.0, Dia 7/, Dia 5.5'
                  Tail 1.5 degrees PA 160.
                  Dust trail (type 3) 0.5 degrees in length, PA 190
                  only visible in 20cm