Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs

  • constoitsis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
      Hi All

      I made the following observation from Clonbinane, Victoria
      Australia.
      this morning
      Conditions were good
      Some moon interference

      Jan 7.70UT, m1 8.0, Dia 3.5 ', dc 5/.
      Coma brighter towards the centre.
      No tail observed
      11x70mm

      Regards

      Con Stoitsis
      Director
      Comet Section
      Astronomical Society of Victoria
      Melbourne Australia
    • constoitsis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
        Hi All

        I had a quick look at the comet this morning from my home in Caulfield, Victoria, Australia.
        Light meter reading 18.80
        Conditions - Clear
        Jan 19.75 UT; m1 7.6, Dia 2.0' DC 6.

        11x70 mm Binoculars

        Regards

        Con Stoitsis
        Director
        Comet Section
        Astronomical Society of Victoria Inc
        Melbourne Audtrala.
      • constoitsis
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2013
          Hi All

          I made the following observation from Caulfield, Victoria, Australia this morning.
          Light meter reading 18.55
          Conditions were clear and still.

          Feb 5.70 UT, m1 6.1, Dia 5.5', DC 6' .
          More condensed towards the centre
          Coma elongated to the NW
          11x70mm Binos

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
            Hi All

            I made the following observation from Caulfield, Victoria, Australia this morning.
            Conditions- Patchy cloud, mild, slight breeze.

            Feb 6.70 UT, m1 6.0, Dia 5.0', DC 6.
            Coma condensed towards the centre.
            Short tail PA 35
            11x70mm Binos
            Moon interference

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 10, 2013
              Hi All

              I made the following observation from Caulfiield
              Victoria, Australia this morning
              Conditions were very good
              Light meter reading 18.40

              Feb 10.74UT, m1 5.5, Dia 4.0', DC= 8
              11x70mm Bino
              Bright stellar central condensation
              (Starlike centre)
              Tail easily visible approx 20' in length
              At the time of observation the comet was approx
              10 degs above SE horizon
              Morning twilight interference.
              Not visible to the naked eye

              Regards

              Con Stoitsis
              Director
              Comet Section
              Astronomical Society if Victoria Inc
              Melbourne Australia
            • constoitsis
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
                Hi All

                I made the following observation from Clonbinane
                Victoria, Australia this morning.
                Light meter reading 20.80

                Feb 15.75UT, m1 5.0, DC 8/, Dia 4.0'
                Broad tail 0.4 length PA 230
                Very condensed centre
                11x70mm
                Just visible to the naked eye with averted
                vision.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2013
                  Hi All

                  I made the following observation from Elwood
                  beach, Victoria, Australia tonight.
                  The comet was visible to the naked eye as a starlike
                  object with a very short tail, which appeared longer with
                  averted vision.
                  In my 11x70mm binoculars I could see over a degree
                  of tail.
                  Details
                  March 1.40UT, m1 2.4, DC 7/.
                  Tail over 1 deg in length, PA 160.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
                    Hi All

                    I spotted the comet from Caulfield, Victoria, Australia last night, approx 5 degrees above the SW horizon.
                    The comet seemed slightly brighter than the previous night.
                    To the naked eye, the comet was starlike in appearance and I could detected a short tail
                    with direct vision.
                    In my 11x70mm binoculars the tail was approx 1.5 degrees in length at 160 PA.

                    Details below

                    March 2.40UT, m1 2.0, DC 7/, Dia 5'

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 4, 2013
                      Hi All

                      Fantastic images and reports from everyone
                      Keep up the good work guys
                      I saw the comet for about 20 mins last night, before it
                      disappeared behind a building.
                      Even from light polluted Caulfield, Melbourne, Australia, and approx 30
                      mins before Nautical twilight, the comet was visible with
                      a very short tail to the naked eye.
                      The coma is very strong and starlike.
                      In my 11x70 mm the tail is over 1.5 degrees
                      In my 20cm I could detect a faint Type 3 dust
                      trail, approx 0.5 degrees in length, at PA 190.
                      When the coma was lost behind a building
                      the tail resembled
                      a torch light, coming from behind the building.

                      Details

                      March 4.40UT, m1 2.0, Dia 7/, Dia 5.5'
                      Tail 1.5 degrees PA 160.
                      Dust trail (type 3) 0.5 degrees in length, PA 190
                      only visible in 20cm