Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin Obs

  • Con Stoitsis
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2009
      Hi All

      Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin
      Jan 27.70UT, m1=6.5, Dia 8', DC=5
      Slightly condensed coma, elongated to the SW
      11x70mm
      Con Stoitsis
      Caulfield, Victoria, Australia
      LM 5.1
    • Con Stoitsis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
        Hi All

        Using my 30cm Doby, I made the following observation from Clonbinane
        approx 65 km's North of Melbourne.

        LM 6.7

        Jan 30.65UT, M1=6.5, Dia 8' DC=5

        I detected a faint tail approx 10'in length, going West.
        With averted vision I also detected a VERY faint anti-tail, going
        East, at approx 5'in length.
        The anti-tail was thinner than the tail.
        The tail was also visible in my 11x70mm, but the anti-tail was not.
        The comet was not visible to the naked eye.

        Regards

        Con Stoitsis
        Melbourne
        Australia
      • Con Stoitsis
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2009
          Hi All

          I observed the comet from Caulfield, Victoria, Australia this morning.
          Conditions were poor
          Moon interference, smoke haze,and the morning twilight, affected
          transparency significantly.
          LM approx 4.3

          Feb 16.65UT, M1=5.3, DC=4, Dia =20'
          Short Ion tail 0.5 deg PA 285'.
          Comet not visible naked eye due to sky conditions
          11x70mm

          Regards

          Con Stoitsis
        • Con Stoitsis
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
            Hi All

            I made the following observation of Comet Lulin this morning from
            Clonbinane, 65 km's North of Melbourne.
            Conditions were very good
            LM 6.5

            Feb 26.70UT, M1=4.6, DC=5-6, Dia =30'
            Dust tail 1.5 degrees PA 105
            Coma elongated to NNW
            Comet visible to the naked eye as a faint fuzzy patch, with no tail
            20cm Dobson

            Regards

            Con Stoitsis
            Clonbinane