C/2006 P1 (McNaught) seen in daylight with binoculars!

  • timokarhula
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2007
      I had been plagued by bad weather the entire last week. Therefore,
      I had not seen this comet C/2006 P1 (McNaught) until a few hours
      ago. This morning, while having breakfast, I looked out from my
      kitchen window and I immediately spotted a star with about 1° tail
      towards "half past ten"! Of my 107 observed comets, it has never
      before occurred that my naked eyes have been my
      discovery "instrument"! Comet McNaught looked about a half a
      magnitude fainter than Jupiter but when taking into account the
      lower altitude of the comet and the brighter background, I would
      estimate the comet's brightness as magnitude -2.0 or a little
      brighter.

      I lost both Jupiter and the comet from naked eye sight when the
      solar altitude was -2°. I continued to follow comet McNaught until
      8:50 am local time with my 10x50 binoculars when I saw the rising
      sun! This was my second daylight comet. The first was Hale-Bopp
      which I followed with my C-8 telescope until after sunrise one
      morning. Comet McNaught seemed to be much easier with 10x50
      binoculars, so McNaught is much brighter than Hale-Bopp at its
      brightest. I never saw comet West because I was not an observing
      amateur by then so I can't compare McNaught to it. Hale-Bopp and
      Hyakutake were prettier due their locations in a dark sky and with
      their complex and long tails. McNaught was so cute with its naked
      eye tail in the bright twilight.

      /Timo Karhula (Sweden, latitude 60 N)