Comet C/2006 P1 ( McNaught )- January 7, 2006

  • Michael Boschat
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2007
      Comet C/2006 P1 ( McNaught )

      Date: January 7, 2006

      Time: 1105 UT (7:05am AST)

      Place: Roof of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

      Instrument: Tento 10x50 binoculars and Naked-eye

      Weather: Clear horizion with very few clouds, but 70km winds!

      Observation: At 1105 UT I came across the comet.
      Head of comet was very bright white in color and
      also a small very distinctive tail about 1 degree
      long pointing roughly towards the northwest.
      Estimate magnitude about 0.0. Without the binoculars
      I was just able to detect the comet with the naked-eye!

      Truely worth biking to the university to look at in morning sky!

      Clear skies
      ----------
      Michael Boschat
      Halifax Center - Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
      Astronomy page: http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa063
    • Tudorica Alexandru
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2007
        Hello everyone!
        Just a few minutes ago I have also seen the great comet from Magurele (near
        Bucharest) Romania.
        It was an impressive sight, it looked just like in the photos (i didn't
        expected that). It was
        very difficult to see it because the sky was more than 90% clouded
        and cirrus clouds were present. I saw it for a few precious seconds then it
        disspeared - i went
        inside to get my camera but when i was back the clouds completely obscured
        the view. I can't estimate
        accurately the magnitude of the comet but i am pretty sure that it's already
        a negative one. The strongly visible
        tail extended for at least one degree. The colour was yellowish but i'm not
        sure if it was the comet or an atmoshperic effect.
        It was also visible with the naked eye.
        I will get up early in the morning to see it again if the sky is clear.
        Great comet!
        Best wishes and clear skies,
        Alex Tudorica

        On 1/7/07, Michael Boschat <aa063@...> wrote:

        > Comet C/2006 P1 ( McNaught )
        >
        > Date: January 7, 2006
        >
        > Time: 1105 UT (7:05am AST)
        >
        > Place: Roof of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
        >
        > Instrument: Tento 10x50 binoculars and Naked-eye
        >
        > Weather: Clear horizion with very few clouds, but 70km winds!
        >
        > Observation: At 1105 UT I came across the comet.
        > Head of comet was very bright white in color and
        > also a small very distinctive tail about 1 degree
        > long pointing roughly towards the northwest.
        > Estimate magnitude about 0.0. Without the binoculars
        > I was just able to detect the comet with the naked-eye!
        >
        > Truely worth biking to the university to look at in morning sky!
        >
        > Clear skies
      • tonyward1ca
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2007
          Appreciate reading your report Michael. Your SR is 7:50 am AST and
          mine here in Whitby ON is 7:50 EST so the circumstances are very
          similar. I did get up this morning but (unlike the prediction) the
          clouds remained unfortunately!....

          --- Tony

          --- In CometChasing@yahoogroups.com, Michael Boschat <aa063@...>