Comet Lovejoy this morning - 2011 December 25 UT

  • John Drummond
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2011
      Hi all,

      my observing mate John Burt and I hit Young Nicks Head this morning. I got some patchy glimpses of Lovejoy from Whakatane (thanks Keith and Norm) on the morning of the 24th December but nothing like this morning (26th Dec 2011) from Gisborne, New Zealand. Wow, what a cool comet! The tail extended for 27 degrees and was about 3 degrees wide at the widest – up near the end. No head visible – jut a big tail in the sky. Lovejoy was easy to see with the naked eye – indeed, 45 minutes into astronomical twilight all the Milky Way at the same altitude and higher had long disappeared but Lovejoy’s tail was still visible against the bluish sky.

      Attached in an image (more to come later) of John Burt modelling – I would have preferred a bikini-clad female holding the binoculars, but you use what you’ve got! Image details in the file name...
      or

      Cheers

      John Drummond
      Possum Observatory Complex
      International Astro Union Code: E94
      Gisborne, New Zealand
      E: 177d 53', S: 38d 38'
      Email: john_drummond@...
      Website: www.possumobservatory.co.nz
      Images: http://www.possumobservatory.co.nz/latest_images-all-continuing.htm
      Phone (mobile): 0275 609 287
    • David Nicholls
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26, 2011
        What an excellent image!

        DN

        On 26/12/2011, at 8:01 PM, John Drummond wrote:

        > Attached in an image (more to come later) of John Burt modelling – I would have preferred a bikini-clad female holding the binoculars, but you use what you’ve got! Image details in the file name...
        > http://www.possumobservatory.co.nz/comet_Lovejoy-2011w3-20mm_f2,8-12800iso-28sec-2011dec26-3,11am-drummond.jpg
        > or
        > http://tinyurl.com/74ueth3
        >
        > Cheers