C/2009 P1 Garradd -- Brightest comet in the Sky!

  • dennis_persyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2 4:32 PM
      I got up at 2:30 am to image this comet in early morning twilight from my North-Central Illinois observatory. The best frames were taken at around 3:50. By then there was considerable morning twilight from the rising sun but the comet was also higher in the sky, away from the sky glow near the horizon. The function describing the optimum exposure as a function of increasing twilight and increasing comet elevation would be helpful to know. I'd appreciate inputs on this. I had to just play around with varying exposure times to keep the background sky glow from saturating, and it was a constantly-changing ordeal.

      I know this comet isn't much to look at, but it is the best I can do right now . However, by February, 2012, this comet is forecast to be much brighter at magnitude 6. I will have to be patient.

      For more details, visit my New Images web page
      http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

      Images, commentary, data and all kinds of good info at the link below -- please take a look.

      http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk/new.htm .

      Clear skies,

      Dennis Persyk
      Hampshire, IL