Feb 4th image of 2007N3 (Lulin)

  • Martin Mobberley
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
      My 9th shot of comet Lulin, imaged remotely via
      GRAS New Mexico, has been uploaded. I have
      also uploaded a small animation showing the ion tail
      changes (and cometary motion) over a 27 minute period.

      Temporary image locations:
      http://uk.geocities.com/martin.mobberley@.../2007n3_20090204_mpm.jpg

      http://uk.geocities.com/martin.mobberley@.../2007n3_20090204anim_mpm.gif

      Comets page:
      http://uk.geocities.com/martinmobberley/Comets.html

      Regards,
      Martin
    • ligustri rolando
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
      • gvnn64@libero.it
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
          Hello Martin,
          it seems that we image the same disconnection event. If possible, I would be ineterested to analyze the evolution of this feature. Pleae, can you send me privately the your FITS? For sure, you will be credited for any result we might obtain about it.

          With kind regards,
          Giovanni
        • dfischer@astro.uni-bonn.de
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
            These wonderful - independent - image sets raise the question:
            Is there a central depository for high-quality ion tail images?
            There have been special calls for observations (in connection
            with the Ulysses mission) at times, but these were limited in
            time and scope. The need for a central archive of comet tail
            images - like we have for comet visual data at ICQ, for example,
            or for variable stars at AAVSO - could yield invaluable scientific
            results.

            For example, 20 years ago (in those dark pre-web times) comet
            Okazaki-Levy-Rudenko "suffered" some wonderful disconnection
            events, and by pure chance high-quality images (yes, real photos)
            reached me from several astrophotographers working independently
            in the same hour. Many tail features could be measured and speeds
            and - surprisingly high - accelerations calculated. (The results
            were published in the Proceedings of the first Meeting of
            European Planetary and Cometary Observers in 1992.)

            Daniel
          • Alan Watson
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
              Gidday Martin,
              The anim sequence is very interesting.
              I wonder if your saw my post in Comet-ML in the photo section under the stereo images folder.

              C/2007 N3 Dynamics 20090101
              As seen in SECCHI/STEREO images a dynamic Tail, each image frame is 40 mins cadence
              By: algwat
              File Name: c2007N3-lulin dynamic-20090101-H1b.gif
              Resolution: 300x300
              Size: 3,122KB

              This shows a similar tail dynamic with Lulin. Not as high resolution.
              As Lulin crossed the STEREO HI1b FOV I counted about three similar events,. All moved in different directions, so I assume solar wind interactions.
              It would good to see if an extended sequence of frames could be capture across a single night. There is likely to be more dynamics to see.

              Kind regards,
              Alan Watson

              Http://cometal.bigblog.com.au/index.do

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
                Hi Alan,

                Thanks for your message....very interesting. I get the
                comets-ml summaries but missed that. Thanks to all for
                their messages re. yesterday's images...I am having
                trouble keeping up with all the e-mails on the Feb 4th
                tail disconnection!
                Observadores Cometas via Mark Kidger/Montse Campàs have
                uploaded the full frame animation to their website at

                http://www.observadores-cometas.com/cometas/2007n3/imagenes/C2007N3-
                090204-mpm.gif

                Regards,
                Martin