intro and a little info.

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hi Guys.
      Brand new to the group and wanted to say hi. I noticed a folder in
      the files section with A-10s in it and in case anyone was wondering
      about any of them, I do know that the Warthogs in 2 pics that have
      the tail letters "WR" are from the 81st TFW, RAF Bentwaters/RAF
      Woodbridge, England. I know because I spent 3 years at Bentwaters
      and was wondering if there is anyone else in the group that has been
      there.
      Anyway, if anyone has any other pics with Bentwaters A-10s in them
      could you let me know. I am looking for some.

      Thanks.
      Chris
    • Half Assed Astronaut
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
        Thank you Chris, and welcome to the group.
        A while ago, if you look back in the message
        archives, we had an interesting debate going on
        the merits of the A-10, vs the F16 in CAS.
        MaX
        --- Chris <flyingscottsman@...> wrote:
        > Hi Guys.
        > Brand new to the group and wanted to say hi. I noticed
        > a folder in
        > the files section with A-10s in it and in case anyone was
        > wondering
        > about any of them, I do know that the Warthogs in 2 pics
        > that have
        > the tail letters "WR" are from the 81st TFW, RAF
        > Bentwaters/RAF
        > Woodbridge, England. I know because I spent 3 years at
        > Bentwaters
        > and was wondering if there is anyone else in the group
        > that has been
        > there.
        > Anyway, if anyone has any other pics with Bentwaters
        > A-10s in them
        > could you let me know. I am looking for some.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Chris

        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
        http://companion.yahoo.com/
      • Benscan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
          Hello Chris!
          Glad to have you as a member!. Thanks for the info on the A-10 Warthog pics. So you were stationed at Bentwaters AFB in England? I here it's closed down now but several years ago it was a beehive of activity. Please feel free to tell us about your experiences and to share whatever you'd like about combat aircraft. I for one am curious; Is the Warthog your favorite of all combat aircraft or does that honor go to another aircraft?

          Again Welcome and I hope you'll enjoy being a member here!

          Happy Landings!
          Ben

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
            Thanks for the welcome.
            As far as any discussion regarding the Warthog vs the Falcon; back
            in '82 I had the good fortune to chat for a while with some TDY
            pilots from Nellis who were on base for a month for NATO exorcises.
            In that time, the question was posed to those pilots regarding that
            same question. I guess that it still has a lot of debate by aviation
            enthusiasts. Anyway, according to those F-16 pilots, the A-10 was
            both better and worse than the F-16. This is because of the roles
            for each aircraft. In a head to head dogfight, the Warthog is king.
            The reason being that the Falcon has a cornering speed of 450kts
            while the A-10 has a TOP speed of 450kts. This combined with the
            fact that the Warthog is designed to be the most maneuverable
            aircraft in the "dirt" as well as the fact that it can take more
            abuse than any other combat aircraft in NATO (Note that the SU-25
            Frogfoot is equal in suvivability to the A-10) makes this a very hard
            airplane to kill.

            Now in a missle engagement, the roles reverse. The F-16 is designed
            to be a multi-role fighter. That means that it does all of it's jobs
            competantly, but is not built for a particular job like the A-10, so
            it doesn't do any of it's roles exceptionally well, Comparatively
            speaking. Fighter aircraft cannot outrun a-a missles. The Falcon
            has a lower radar crossection than the A-10 and is harder to lock
            onto and hit. Couple that with the fact that the A-10 cannot run
            away from the fight like the F-16 can and we have a clear sense of
            what these airplanes are to each other.

            Just remember that the A-10, like the old Douglas Skyraider, is
            originally an immediate post-WWII design that was put into production
            when the need was seen again for an aircraft that filled the role
            that it fills today. Grunts will always need air support and the A-
            10 is the bird for the job. Custom-made.

            Fact is, I love both airplanes, but in the dirt, I want the Warthog.

            Chris

            --- In CombatAircraft@yahoogroups.com, Half Assed Astronaut
            <max_g_cunningham@y...> wrote:
            > Thank you Chris, and welcome to the group.
            > A while ago, if you look back in the message
            > archives, we had an interesting debate going on
            > the merits of the A-10, vs the F16 in CAS.
            > MaX
            > --- Chris <flyingscottsman@h...> wrote:
            > > Hi Guys.
            > > Brand new to the group and wanted to say hi. I noticed
            > > a folder in
            > > the files section with A-10s in it and in case anyone was
            > > wondering
            > > about any of them, I do know that the Warthogs in 2 pics
            > > that have
            > > the tail letters "WR" are from the 81st TFW, RAF
            > > Bentwaters/RAF
            > > Woodbridge, England. I know because I spent 3 years at
            > > Bentwaters
            > > and was wondering if there is anyone else in the group
            > > that has been
            > > there.
            > > Anyway, if anyone has any other pics with Bentwaters
            > > A-10s in them
            > > could you let me know. I am looking for some.
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > > Chris

            > Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
            > http://companion.yahoo.com/
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
              Hi Ben.
              Yes, RAF Bentwaters closed in '91 or '92. They plowed it under and
              converted it to civilian housing. To the best of my knowledge, there
              is nothing left of the base itself. The hard bit must have been
              removing the revetment hangers. Those were supposed to be able to
              survive a direct 1 megaton nuke hit. Don't know, since, fortunately,
              that never got tested in the field.

              I will be glad to talk about some of my experiences and share base
              info to anyone that wants to know. I could go into generalities, but
              it will be clearer if you just ask about some of the things that you
              want to know. I may not remember the exact dates and such, but I do
              remember the things that happened, like the 2, 2-day periods that a C-
              5 closed the ONLY runway on the base, or the many bomb threats from
              any of half a dozen terrorist groups that were running free in Europe
              at the time. Saw quite a few Foreign and classic military aircraft
              and a lot of history of the area as well.

              Just ask; I'll tell. Even what little I know about the UFO landing
              that happened there in late '81, when I first got there.

              Chris

            • Benscan@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 26, 2003
                Hi Chris and Everybody!

                First off I hope that you all had a wonderfully good Christmas.

                I totally agree with you Chris that as far as CAS (Close Air Support) goes the A-10 is the aircraft for protecting the grunts against the bad guys! And the F-16 is a great jack-of-all trades relatively low-cost multi-role fighter.

                I personally would prefer that our USAF went a step back and that there wasn't this requirement that all combat aircraft must drob bombs. I think we've gone from too specialized to too generalized and now we're in a situation like the Germans in WW2 where they had fewer and fewer aircraft both in types, models and overall numbers to carry out a number of differenct missions. Sometimes you need specialized aircraft as the RAF has never forgotten hard-learned lessons of the Battle of Britain so that they fly the own air defense version of the Tornado and this F-3 Tornado is a dedicated interceptor carrying no bombs ever!

                I also wish the USAF would get serious about the CAS role it's supposed to fulfill for the US Army. Instead they've been trying to ditch the A-10 for years! When they should be looking for a worthy successor to the A-10. And the US Marines have made it quite clear that if the USAF doesn't want the Warthog...they do!

                Yeah.. It's good to have mutli-mission aircraft but here to I think there should be a mix and that they should allow for single-mssion dedicated combat aircraft too.

                Happy Flying!
                Ben