Re: [CombatAircraft] Flight Magazine F16/F18 feature

  • Rob Hommel
    Message 1 of 75 , Jun 1, 2003
      Ben and Max

      Great ideas and a good report from each of you.
      Commentary included in text following.

      Great commentary on the B58s 20mm, and such a beautiful
      aircraft, one is tempted to try and imagine how that
      aircraft might perform with today's technology, and
      contemporary propulsion systems. Be reminded that a lightly
      loaded B58 could out climb an F4B !

      I sure wish that I had been able to see the B58 when it was in service, I
      have never even seen one as a gate guard and I like to think I have seen the
      elephant, the YB71 when it was at the climatic lab at Eglin. The B58 was in
      service when I was a kid but I was never near where they were unfortunately.
      I tend to agree with folks about the rear facing cannon or some other rear
      facing defensive weapon it is needed. Perhaps not on a fighter type of
      aircraft but on a bomber the have their uses I am sure.

      Although we have "all aspect" missiles these days, I still
      wonder why a rearward firing gun is not incorporated in
      advanced air superiority fighters like the F22 is supposed
      to be.

      Perhaps the new sidewinder (AIM 9X) is supposed to take the place of such an
      item and fulfill that role. I saw an awesome movie short on this missile a
      while back. Truly awesome and a bit unbelievable in it's capability. I
      understand that it may have a problem with wingmen becoming targets any info
      on this?

      I'll cut it short there, as these threads are best handled
      in shorter segments.
      MaX

      of the rearward traveling 20mm shell from the Vulcan
      > cannon and you can imagine
      > what the impact would be! I think it's a bit of
      > disinformation on the part of
      > the USAF because they don't want to know how effective
      > this defensive
      > armament was and because they're still mesmerized by
      > missiles and don't really like
      > cannons.
      >
      > Today if I were designing a deep strike aircraft I would
      > put a cannon stinger
      > in it's tail but also dispensers for "aerial-mines" to be
      > dropped into the
      > path of any rearward attacking interceptor!

      Why not it worked for Clint Eastwood in Firefox.

      Message 75 of 75 , Jun 29, 2003
        Hi MC and Everyone,

        I was a BIG fan of the F-20 Tigershark. I really should have gone into production. It was a grea balance between cost, reliability, performance, capability and survivability. Small, agile, easy to fly and relatively simply to maintain, It would have been a great fighter for mass-production but the USAF brass hats didn't want anything that might interfere with the F-16 so the Tigershark got the ax.

        Gen Yeagers a great pilot and a hell of a man but it'wouldn't be any fun if we all agreed, hey? I'll always perk up and listen when he speaks but there's also others with just as outstanding aviation careers as his. He's a great believer in training and experience ahead of equipment. I'm guardely the same. I think that in the end it's training and experience of the pilots that makes the real difference BUT only up to a point. Many good pilots and aircrews were lost at the beginning of WW2 trying to do battle in antiquated aircraft against markedly superior ones.

        Happy Flying!
        Ben

        In a message dated 6/25/03 9:18:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, max_g_cunningham@... writes:

        Interesting point,  the A4 was highly manuverable, a real
        handfull for an advisary in a 1v1 visual enviroment. It was
        also affordable to aquire and maintain,  even until
        recently,  and even for a small country like N.Z.

        However it's sub sonic,  wich isn't considered usefull
        enough these days,  with limited range payload, and the
        airframes were getting old.

        I still believe the F20 Tigershark was the best complete
        value package,  within the context of the western Hi-lo
        doctrine.

        I'm not particuarly a big fan of Ret Gen. Charles Yeager,
        although one would classify as a grade A fool,  to dispute
        his experience,  skill, and flying background,  as one of
        the greatest authorities of the era.
        I do agree with him,  and his assesment of the F20,  even
        taking into considertion he was a paid consultant.

        More over I believe that the F20 epitomised and embodied
        the Boyd doctine,  and his original aspirations with the
        YF16.

        MC