Re: [CombatAircraft] First Time in Combat Together!

  • ference huynen
    Message 1 of 75 , Apr 7, 2003
      I think that taking a city and supporting it with airpower is better suited
      to helicopters than fast jets. So I think Apaches will see lots of action in
      Baghdad.

      Best,

      Ference.

    • Benscan@aol.com
      Message 75 of 75 , Jun 29, 2003
        Hi MC and Everyone,

        I was a BIG fan of the F-20 Tigershark. I really should have gone into production. It was a grea balance between cost, reliability, performance, capability and survivability. Small, agile, easy to fly and relatively simply to maintain, It would have been a great fighter for mass-production but the USAF brass hats didn't want anything that might interfere with the F-16 so the Tigershark got the ax.

        Gen Yeagers a great pilot and a hell of a man but it'wouldn't be any fun if we all agreed, hey? I'll always perk up and listen when he speaks but there's also others with just as outstanding aviation careers as his. He's a great believer in training and experience ahead of equipment. I'm guardely the same. I think that in the end it's training and experience of the pilots that makes the real difference BUT only up to a point. Many good pilots and aircrews were lost at the beginning of WW2 trying to do battle in antiquated aircraft against markedly superior ones.

        Happy Flying!
        Ben

        In a message dated 6/25/03 9:18:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, max_g_cunningham@... writes:

        Interesting point,  the A4 was highly manuverable, a real
        handfull for an advisary in a 1v1 visual enviroment. It was
        also affordable to aquire and maintain,  even until
        recently,  and even for a small country like N.Z.

        However it's sub sonic,  wich isn't considered usefull
        enough these days,  with limited range payload, and the
        airframes were getting old.

        I still believe the F20 Tigershark was the best complete
        value package,  within the context of the western Hi-lo
        doctrine.

        I'm not particuarly a big fan of Ret Gen. Charles Yeager,
        although one would classify as a grade A fool,  to dispute
        his experience,  skill, and flying background,  as one of
        the greatest authorities of the era.
        I do agree with him,  and his assesment of the F20,  even
        taking into considertion he was a paid consultant.

        More over I believe that the F20 epitomised and embodied
        the Boyd doctine,  and his original aspirations with the
        YF16.

        MC