Heliplane

  • ference huynen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1 12:30 AM
      Here's a picture of something called Heliplane, half helo, half plane. It is
      a contender for the US Army Future Rotorcraft competition. Another contender
      is a four engined tiltrotor based on V-22 technology.
      They've been working on these hybrid helo/plane types of aircraft for
      decades now, but none of them seem to work well. We'll have to wait and see
      if this Heliplane does work.

      Ference.
    • mihaipruna@engineer.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1 10:27 AM
        It looks better to me than the V22. The tilting rotors are complicated
        and prone to failure...better have the main rotor stay up there where
        it's supposed to be.
        I was thinking about a 2 blade rotor that would act as an extra wing
        while in flight,having the blades in a fixed position.By changing the
        AOA of the blades it could act as a flap or airbrake too...
      • mihaipruna@engineer.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4 12:23 AM
            The whole purpose of the Heliplanes (and tiltrotors too) is that they can
            fly faster than regular helos, whose speed is limited by rotor aerodynamics
            I believe.
            But how would a rotor work on a Heliplane at high speed. Or is it just dead
            weight at high airspeed, I wonder?? In that case tiltrotor is a better
            approach.

            Ference.