Re: Link / News / Jets shredded / Disposition Of F-14s

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
      Hey Chris,

      I know what you're talking about the Russian T-34 Tank was a stunning
      blow to the Germans. The figured how could these sub-human Slavs
      produce this tank that could best everything they had. They couldn't
      really do what the Russians did but their solution was to use their
      available talents and resources which is really far easier than
      trying to duplicate what someone else has done. The Germans's answer
      was the Mark-IV Panther Tank but they could never produce enough of
      them; only about 4,000 were built compared to over 12,000 T-34s that
      were manufactured.

      The same thing happened when the Germans tried to create their
      own "Wooden Wonder" similar to the DeHavilland Mosquito multi-role
      aircraft.

      Max has a good point. There's always another way to arrive and the
      solution to a problem. Interesting that now only the Iranians fly the
      F-14 Tomcat! Hmmmmmm!

      Happy Landings!
      Ben

      --- In CombatAircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Fowler" <sflraptor@...>
      wrote:

      > Interestingly enough, this topic reminds me of something that
      happened in
      > WWII. The Germans had captured a Russian tank, which was better
      than the
      > German tanks because the Russians were using molded hulls rather
      than plated
      > hulls.
      > The German scientists were tasked with reverse engineering the
      tank and
      > letting Hitler know when the Reich could produce tanks like them.
      > The scientists came back and said that it could be done, but not
      for
      > another ten years, because Germany lacked the manufacturing
      technology to
      > make molded hulls.
      >
      > Same principle, different item. It just took them time to figure
      out how to
      > make the parts and restore the aircraft to service.
      >
      > Really, when you think about it, any country with it's own
      aircraft
      > industry can make most parts with nothing more than a single part
      as a
      > model. With complex, exclusively military components, it just
      takes a bit
      > more time to sauce out.
      >
      > Chris
    • Chris Fowler
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
        Very true.
          When Thomas Edison was asked why it took 2000 tries to make a lightbulb, his replay was that he hadn't failed 2000 times, he had just found 2000 was to NOT make a lightbulb. :))

        Chris

        --
        Faith is belief in the absence of facts.  Blind faith is belief in direct contradiction of facts.
      • MaX G Cunningham
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
          Ben,

          Interesting how we still have not heard a single word
          on the Blue Angles fatality earlier this year.

          Even if the investigation was inconclusive, something
          woulda, coulda, shouda, have been released by now.

          Speculation on my part, but
          I think it's a clear cut case of Gloc, but that
          would raise the thorny issue of the BA's despite thier
          physical conditioning, perhaps needing to start
          wearing G suits, wich they probably
          want to continue to resist, at thier peril.

          In the current climate, it makes one wonder
          just a little, what else thier not telling,
          these daze,,.

          MaX