Military Wisdom!

  • LA
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
      > "A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade
      launcher
      > fire when you
      > least expect it.  That would make
      you quite unpopular
      > in what's left of
      > your unit."
      > -
      Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.

      > "Aim towards the Enemy."
      > -  Instruction printed on US
      Rocket Launcher

      > "When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our
      > friend.
      >   - U.S. Marine Corps

      > "Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate.
      > The bombs
      are
      > guaranteed to always hit the ground."
      >   - USAF
      Ammo Troop

      > "If the enemy is in range, so are you."
      > - Infantry Journal

      > "It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over
      > the area
      you just
      > bombed."
      >   - U.S. Air Force Manual

      > "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword
      > obviously
      never
      > encountered automatic weapons."
      > - General Macarthur

      > "Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo."
      >   - Infantry Journal

      > "You, you, and you ... Panic.  The rest of you, come
      > with
      me."
      >    - U.S. Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt.

      > "Tracers work both ways."
      > - U.S. Army Ordnance

      > "Five second fuses only last three seconds."
      >   -
      Infantry Journal

      > "Don't ever be the first, don't ever be the last, and
      > don't
      ever
      > volunteer to do anything."
      >   - U.S. Navy
      Swabbie

      > "Bravery is being the only one who knows you're
      > afraid."
      >   - David Hackworth

      > "If your attack is going too well, your walking into
      > an
      ambush."
      > - Infantry Journal

      > "No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection."

      - Joe Gay

      > "Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once."
      >   -
      Anonymous

      > "Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to
      > do."
      > - Unknown Marine Recruit

      > "Don't draw fire; it irritates the people around you."

      - Your Buddies

      > "If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
      >   - USAF Ammo Troop

      > "Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall
      > Fear No
      Evil.
      > For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."
      >   - At
      the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base
      > Kadena, Japan

      > "You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach
      > 3."
      >   - Paul F. Crickmore (test pilot)

      > "The only time you have too much fuel is when you're
      > on fire."

      > "Blue water Navy truism:  There are more planes in the

      ocean than
      > submarines in the sky."
      >   - From an old
      carrier sailor

      > "If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage,
      > it's
      probably a
      > helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."

      > "When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane you
      > always
      have enough
      > power left to get you to the scene of the crash."

      > "Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another
      > expensive
      flying club."

      > "What is the similarity between air traffic
      > controllers and
      pilots?
      > If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; If ATC screws
      > up,
      .... the pilot
      > dies."

      > "Never trade luck for skill."

      > The three most common expressions (or famous last
      > words) in
      aviation are:
      > "Why is it doing that?",
      > "Where are we?"
      > and "Oh S...!"

      > "Weather forecasts are horoscopes with numbers."

      > "Progress in airline flying:  now a flight attendant
      > can
      get a pilot
      > pregnant."

      > "Airspeed, altitude and brains.  Two are always needed
      successfully
      > complete the flight."

      > "A smooth landing is mostly luck; two in a row is all
      > luck;
      three in a
      > row is prevarication."

      > "I remember when sex was safe and flying was
      > dangerous."

      > "Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never
      > left one up
      there!"

      > "Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a
      > flight bag
      for the
      > purpose of storing dead batteries."

      > "Flying the airplane is more important than radioing
      > your
      plight to a
      > person on the ground incapable of understanding or

      doing anything about it."

      > "When a flight is proceeding incredibly well,
      > something was
      forgotten."

      > "Just remember, if you crash because of weather, your
      > funeral
      will be
      > held on a sunny day."

      > Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII:  "When a prang

      (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the
      > softest, cheapest
      object in the
      > vicinity as slow and gently as possible."

      > "The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it
      > can just
      barely
      > kill you."
      >   - Attributed to Max Stanley
      (Northrop test pilot)

      > "A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't
      > flying his
      plane to
      > its maximum."
      >   - Jon McBride, astronaut

      > "If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing
      > as far
      into the
      > crash as possible."
      >   - Bob Hoover
      (renowned aerobatic and test pilot)

      > "Never fly in the same cockpit with someone braver
      > than you."

      > "There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in

      peacetime."
      > - Sign over squadron ops desk at Davis-Monthan AFB,

      AZ, 1970

      > "If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's
      > about to."

      > Basic Flying Rules:  "Try to stay in the middle of the

      air.  Do not go
      > near the edges of it.  The edges of the air
      can be
      > recognized by the
      > appearance of ground, buildings, sea,
      trees and
      > interstellar space.  It
      > is much more difficult
      to fly there."

      > "You know that your landing gear is up and locked when
      > it takes
      full
      > power to taxi to the terminal."

      > As the test pilot climbs out of the experimental
      > aircraft,
      having torn
      > off the wings and tail in the crash landing, the
      crash
      > truck arrives,
      > the rescuer sees a bloodied pilot and asks
      "What
      > happened?".
      > The pilot's reply: "I don't know, I just got
      here
      > myself!"
    • MGC
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25, 2005
        Hello LA,

        Some of those examples are quite entertaining.

        I've always felt that the term "Combat Helicopter" made no sense
        what so ever, at least on the face of it, to begin with.

        Helicopters being light weight and by overall characteristics like a
        humming bird.

        However, the US defence establishment has worked extreamly hard,
        and spent countless billions, to produce massive heavily re-
        enforced, and armed helicopters, in defiance of common sense.

        It just goes to show, that with enough money behind you, you can do
        practically anything.
        MC

        --- In CombatAircraft@yahoogroups.com, "LA" <larmelli@b...> wrote:
        > > "A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher
        > > fire when you
        > > least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular
        > > in what's left of
        > > your unit."
        > > - Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.
        ------

        > > "Aim towards the Enemy."
        > > - Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
        ------

        > > "When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our
        > > friend.
        > > - U.S. Marine Corps

      • Parazo Jerico
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
          Actually, the Soviets with their Hind and Hokum made
          what could be called heavy attack choppers. The Hind,
          in particular, was said to be designed as a kind of
          flying tank.
          --- MGC <max_g_cunningham@...> wrote:

          > Hello LA,
          >
          > Some of those examples are quite entertaining.
          >
          > I've always felt that the term "Combat Helicopter"
          > made no sense
          > what so ever, at least on the face of it, to begin
          > with.
          >
          > Helicopters being light weight and by overall
          > characteristics like a
          > humming bird.
          >
          > However, the US defence establishment has worked
          > extreamly hard,
          > and spent countless billions, to produce massive
          > heavily re-
          > enforced, and armed helicopters, in defiance of
          > common sense.
          >
          > It just goes to show, that with enough money behind
          > you, you can do
          > practically anything.
          > MC
          >
          > --- In CombatAircraft@yahoogroups.com, "LA"
          > <larmelli@b...> wrote:
          > > > "A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade
          > launcher
          > > > fire when you
          > > > least expect it. That would make you quite
          > unpopular
          > > > in what's left of
          > > > your unit."
          > > > - Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.

          > ------
          > > >
          > > > "Aim towards the Enemy."
          > > > - Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher

          > ------
          > > >
          > > > "When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our
          > > > friend.
          > > > - U.S. Marine Corps

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • MGC
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27, 2005
            --- In CombatAircraft@yahoogroups.com, Parazo Jerico
            <jericoparazo@y...> wrote:
            > Actually, the Soviets with their Hind and Hokum made
            > what could be called heavy attack choppers. The Hind,
            > in particular, was said to be designed as a kind of
            > flying tank.
            ________
            The Hind, if that's the one I'm thinking of,
            is collosally huge, Appache, and comanche are
            fairly quite large.

            One big problem is, as I see it..

            The heavier you make it, the more power it takes to
            get off the ground, the bigger the power plant gets,
            wich in turn requires more feul capacity for the
            prescribed range and performance.

            Wich in turn, in order to carry that larger engine,
            and more feul, makes it still
            larger, also an easier target, so it needs
            still more armour, and weapons, and sytems onboard,
            to make it surviable, and defend it's OWN SELF,
            that means it's still heavier, and needs a bigger engine(s)
            that require still more feul, and so it grows still larger and
            heavier, and (you get the idea).

            It ends up gigantic, hughly fortified, and armed,
            destined, and preoccupied towards it's own
            self defence.

            This is popularly characterised as the "Battleship mentality."

            At the start of this current Iraqui campain,
            I came across accounts of a few US Appaches being ambushed,
            and severely mauled by concentrated heavy calibre
            ground fire, co-incedently, it wasn't that long after that they
            annouced that development of it's replacement the Comanche,
            was shelved.

            I don't believe much in the overall concept of a
            "combat helicopter," but if you simply have to have one,
            I think the Huey Cobra, was about the optimum
            size, but hey, bigger has to better, right ?
            MC
          • Parazo Jerico
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 27, 2005
              The Hind was used in Afghanistan. It only was
              defeated by American Stinger missiles though it took
              12.7 mm rounds to kill it though the missiles were a
              lot more effective. I think the problem with the hind
              is that they added a passnger compartment to it.

              Sigh! If you could develop chobham armor light enough
              for choppers......

              > The Hind, if that's the one I'm thinking of,
              > is collosally huge, Appache, and comanche are
              > fairly quite large.
              >
              > One big problem is, as I see it..
              >
              > The heavier you make it, the more power it takes to
              > get off the ground, the bigger the power plant
              > gets,
              > wich in turn requires more feul capacity for the
              > prescribed range and performance.
              >
              > Wich in turn, in order to carry that larger engine,
              >
              > and more feul, makes it still
              > larger, also an easier target, so it needs
              > still more armour, and weapons, and sytems
              > onboard,
              > to make it surviable, and defend it's OWN SELF,
              >
              > that means it's still heavier, and needs a bigger
              > engine(s)
              > that require still more feul, and so it grows still
              > larger and
              > heavier, and (you get the idea).
              >
              > It ends up gigantic, hughly fortified, and armed,
              > destined, and preoccupied towards it's own
              > self defence.
              >
              > This is popularly characterised as the "Battleship
              > mentality."
              >
              > At the start of this current Iraqui campain,
              > I came across accounts of a few US Appaches being
              > ambushed,
              > and severely mauled by concentrated heavy calibre
              > ground fire, co-incedently, it wasn't that long
              > after that they
              > annouced that development of it's replacement the
              > Comanche,
              > was shelved.
              >
              > I don't believe much in the overall concept of a
              > "combat helicopter," but if you simply have to have
              > one,
              > I think the Huey Cobra, was about the optimum
              > size, but hey, bigger has to better, right ?
              > MC

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • MGC
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
                --- In CombatAircraft@yahoogroups.com, Parazo Jerico> wrote:
                > The Hind was used in Afghanistan. It only was
                > defeated by American Stinger missiles though it took
                > 12.7 mm rounds to kill it though the missiles were a
                > lot more effective. I think the problem with the hind
                > is that they added a passnger compartment to it.
                ---
                Unfortunately, they also appeared in the Post Desert Storm
                Iraqi no-fly zone era, setup in protection of the northern
                based Kurd minority, in reponse to brutal chemical attacks
                wadged by Sadam against civilians.

                There and then, you may recall, or have since heard about,
                the tragidy of the two loaded US Army Blackhawks,
                shot down by USAF F-15Cs, killing all aboard,
                having mistaken those for hostile Iraqi Hinds.

                And so, cynically appropriate to the title of this thread.
                MC